1.    #1  
    Of particular interest to the aviators on the forum perhaps, there's a new type of aeroplane been invented in the EU called the fanwing. They have their own website but it's exceeded its bandwidth - probably because of the buzz created since they exhibited at the Farnborough Airshow. Anyway, it's a weird looking thing, looks like a flying rotary lawnmower! The best link I've found that works is a blog here: http://www.vinod.com/blog/News/TheFanWing.html and there's a good pic of it here: http://www.roadabletimes.com/roadabl...i_fanwing.html
    It'll never fly very fast, but it could be a cheap to run, heavy lifting thing, like an airborne bus.
    Edit: On closer inspection it's not that new , still, it's new to me, and I suspect most other people
    Last edited by PeterBrown; 09/07/2004 at 05:40 AM.
    Animo et Fide
    It's a very interesting concept! Very cool looking!

But, based on my experience and knowledge I have to say it will never go far. The aerodynamics are, at best, thought provoking and at worst are far fetched. The opportunity for damage from a bird is frightening. How the concept would react to flight in icing conditions makes me shudder....as would the aircraft in those conditions I should think. Personally I think it will suck fuel like an SUV towing a boat!

It's telling to note that all of the pictures of the model inflight seem to be taken just at the moment when the aircraft is about to depart controlled flight.

Very cool though and I hope it works! What a neat concept! I wish them luck. I won't be volunteering to pilot the first one though.
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDriver
    It's a very interesting concept! Very cool looking!

But, based on my experience and knowledge I have to say it will never go far. The aerodynamics are, at best, thought provoking and at worst are far fetched. The opportunity for damage from a bird is frightening. How the concept would react to flight in icing conditions makes me shudder....as would the aircraft in those conditions I should think. Personally I think it will suck fuel like an SUV towing a boat!

It's telling to note that all of the pictures of the model inflight seem to be taken just at the moment when the aircraft is about to depart controlled flight.

Very cool though and I hope it works! What a neat concept! I wish them luck. I won't be volunteering to pilot the first one though.
    Details, details. As I'm sure you're aware modern fighter planes simply wouldn't fly without advanced avionics, I'm sure the stability could be improved. Obviously the claims they make for efficiency of a model would have to be verified at full scale, but they claimed it was ok. They laughed at Frank Whittle when he proposed putting a gas turbine engine in a plane (mind you, if you look at land based gas turbines you can understand the scepticism )
    Animo et Fide