Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 179
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    It's interesting the labels which the media attach to polititians, and how those labels stick. Going on memory here:

    1. Bush - not smart
    2. Gore - exaggerates
    3. Dan Quayle - says stupid things
    4. Regan - cowboy
    5. Kerry - flip flopper
    6. Dean - The Scream
    7. Gary Hart - Woman on Boat
    8. Clinton - (OK, he's in the hospital, nevermind)
    9. Dukakis (sp?) - Willie Horton
    10. Carter - Astrologists and consulting with 9-year old on foreign policy
    You forgot Bush Sr. "No new taxes" and I think Carter (for a long time) was the Peanut farmer. I like Clinton, but he'll pull through and I think the term created for him was, "slick willy" as nothing ever stuck to him, even after spending $35 million to try to find it- well there was Monica...someone 'Tripped' up there
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Well, so far I thought there was only one WWII with only one beginning.
    You avoided my question - when do you claim WWII started for the U.S.? If you claim Bush was factually wrong, surely you know the right answer?

    Indeed, the administration never specifically claimed that, but ...
    Exactly. So you shouldn't claim they did. Facts matter, and so does the truth.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  3. #123  
    You listed far more democrats than republicans? Do you think Republicans don't have labels attached as much? Not even an honorable mention for Perot and his angry ears?
  4. #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    I like Clinton, but he'll pull through and I think the term created for him was, "slick willy" as nothing ever stuck to him, even after spending $35 million to try to find it- well there was Monica...someone 'Tripped' up there
    Nice one. I should send you some jennifer Flowers. I need to keep up with the paula Jones.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    You avoided my question - when do you claim WWII started for the U.S.? If you claim Bush was factually wrong, surely you know the right answer?
    Of course : In early 1941, the U.S. abandoned strict neutrality in the European war and approached a confrontation with Japan in Asia and the Pacific Ocean. U.S. and British conferences, begun in January 1941, determined a basic strategy for the event of a U.S. entry into the war, namely, that both would center their effort on Germany, leaving Japan, if need be, to be dealt with later.

    In March 1941 the U.S. Congress passed the Lend-Lease Act and appropriated an initial $7 billion to lend or lease weapons and other aid to any countries the president might designate. By this means the U.S. hoped to ensure victory over the Axis without involving its own troops. By late summer of 1941, however, the U.S. was in a state of undeclared war with Germany. In July, U.S. Marines were stationed in Iceland, which had been occupied by the British in May 1940, and thereafter the U.S. Navy took over the task of escorting convoys in the waters west of Iceland. In September President Franklin D. Roosevelt authorized ships on convoy duty to attack Axis war vessels.

    Pearl Harbour was on December 7, 1941.

    Nevertheless, it is of course true that Pearl Harbour had a very strong effect on the willingness of the US to participate in a more active form in WWII. The official US declaration of war was on December 8, 1941, about two years after WWII started.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Of course : In early 1941, the U.S. abandoned strict neutrality in the European war and approached a confrontation with Japan in Asia and the Pacific Ocean. U.S. and British conferences, begun in January 1941, determined a basic strategy for the event of a U.S. entry into the war, namely, that both would center their effort on Germany, leaving Japan, if need be, to be dealt with later.

    In March 1941 the U.S. Congress passed the Lend-Lease Act and appropriated an initial $7 billion to lend or lease weapons and other aid to any countries the president might designate. By this means the U.S. hoped to ensure victory over the Axis without involving its own troops. By late summer of 1941, however, the U.S. was in a state of undeclared war with Germany. In July, U.S. Marines were stationed in Iceland, which had been occupied by the British in May 1940, and thereafter the U.S. Navy took over the task of escorting convoys in the waters west of Iceland. In September President Franklin D. Roosevelt authorized ships on convoy duty to attack Axis war vessels.
    Nicely done Clulup. That's interesting.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Nicely done Clulup. That's interesting.
    Thanks. By the way, did you ever visit www.encarta.com? They have quite nice articles on various subjects, even e.g. on WWII. Some of the stuff there may actually sound quite familiar to you, after having read my last post.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  8. #128  
    In my line of work, plagerism is the highest form of flattery.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    In March 1941 the U.S. Congress passed the Lend-Lease Act and appropriated an initial $7 billion
    Oh my god, $7 billion in 1941! Just done a quick google and found it's worth about $88 billion in todays money. That strikes me as an amazing amount of money, before they had even declared war.
    Animo et Fide
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Nice one. I should send you some jennifer Flowers. I need to keep up with the paula Jones.
    touche
  11.    #131  
    kramsauer, excellent point! hussein DID give compensations.
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Thanks for pointing that out. After 4 years, the Republicans still can't live without Ghost-quotes from the past.

    Kinda like Johnboy's "war stories"
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  13.    #133  
    lol. nice, clairegirl
  14. #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Kinda like Johnboy's "war stories"
    And who is Johnboy?
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    -Michael Pritchard
  15. vw2002's Avatar
    Posts
    904 Posts
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    #135  
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops
    And who is Johnboy?
    a one.. mr.. john.. "f" (laugh) kerry..? perhaps?
  16. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    mr.. john.. "f" (laugh) kerry..
    F? The letter 'f' makes you laugh? ...I don't get it.

    (Why am I having so much trouble understanding people on this board lately.)
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Kinda like Johnboy's "war stories"
    Maybe GWB could tell some "National Guard" stories when he served in Alabama in 1972..oh wait, it's questionable whether he even showed up.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  18. #138  
    Kerry has been known to use the "F-Word" to make him sound hip, like in the Rolling Stones article. As a result, some people jokingly call him "John F'n Kerry".
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  19. #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    a one.. mr.. john.. "f" (laugh) kerry..? perhaps?
    I doubt that is what clairegrrl meant. Besides, this political head-butting is getting very old.
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    -Michael Pritchard
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Kerry has been known to use the "F-Word"
    F'ing A!
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions