Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 179
  1. mrjoec's Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by carter437
    Take into account his statements saying he would only deploy US Forces under UN command
    That's funny. I head him say in his acceptance speech that he would NOT allow other nations to call the shots when it came to matters of our national security. Sort of the opposite of what you're claiming he said.

    Quote Originally Posted by carter437
    He has no clue where he stands on terrorism which is frightening and dangerous.
    That would be frightening and dangerous, if it were true.

    Quote Originally Posted by carter437
    His accomplishments are few and he has, his whole life, lived off of others.
    I think this could just as easily characterize George W. What did Bush do before he was president? Governor of Texas for a short while; before that, ran a few businesses into the ground? Not a whole lot of accolades there. And I doubt there were too many hard times either, with dad's money to rely on.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  2. #62  
    When do the presidential debates start?

    Will be curious to see how Kerry and Bush (and Edwards and Cheney) do one on one with each other...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3. #63  
    I live in New York as I'm sure a few treocentral members do. Have you noticed how empty the city is this week? In my office 80-90% of people are either on vacation or "working from home".

    To me this speaks volumes as to how safe America feels living under Bush's strategy against terrorism. Basically everyone has fled the city because they probably quite rightly think that this is a great time for a terrorist strike in NYC.

    What really gets on my nerves is how much this convention must be costing New Yorkers. We've got police out on every block in the city all day long, roads blocked off, and helicopters patrolling constantly and to top it off all the local businesses are pretty much devoid of customers.

    Presumably we will be paying for all of this in our Local Taxes this year. As if it wasn't bad enough suffering 9/11, a 20% property tax hike, and then seeing disproportionate amounts of the homeland security budget go to states like Kansas.

    Thank god for the people who came to New York to protest.
  4.    #64  
    its called taking precautions.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    its called taking precautions.
    I never thought I'd hear those words from a pro-life Republican
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    When do the presidential debates start?

    Will be curious to see how Kerry and Bush (and Edwards and Cheney) do one on one with each other...
    I too am very interested to see this...maybe Kerry should toss in the word "soverign" and see how Bush deals with that

    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.dhonline.com/articles/2004/08/19/news/opinion/edit04.txt
    American Indian journalist Mark Trahant asked him about his stance on tribal sovereignty. Bush responded: "Tribal sovereignty means that, it's sovereign." Attendees laughed, shook their heads and rolled their eyes.
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    That's pretty sensitive and open minded of you.
    Oh come on, we should all lighten up a little here on some of these political threads - including me.

    Regarding the protesters, I was thinking of the people stripping down to their panties (worn by men and women) with political slogans on them. I think "weirdos" was the correct term, and I meant it in the most open minded way.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec
    Even Bush himself said a few days ago that we can't win the war on terror, we can only hope to make them think twice about attacking us. But then he backtracked really quick, probably because he was afraid people would call him a flip-flopper.
    He backtracked, big time, because the DNC immediately pounced on his syntax and twisted the words to sound bad. Kerry said about 20 times in the last couple of days that he would absolutely win the war on terror.

    More politics as usual.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherv
    Hahah, yeah, they're definitely anarchists.

    If anywhere, the anarchists were among the sparse protesters that showed up for the DNC, actually.
    Actually, I was glad the protests didn't turn into the recent Seattle protests of a few years ago. Emotions have risen so high, it's kind of a relief that both conventions are over without really ugly incidents.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Oh come on, we should all lighten up a little here on some of these political threads - including me.
    I'm with you on this. The discussion here has gotten pretty good, lately. I'm sure it's scary for everyone involved, but it seems to be going well. So, yeah -- include me in the lightening up. That's a cool thought.

    Personally, I thought a lot of the protesters were pretty cool. I thought that some of the conventioneers (is that a word) were pretty cool, too, though. Everybody's got their own thing.
  11.    #71  
    I actually support pro-choice.
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    I actually support pro-choice.
    Cool.
  13. #73  
    I finally saw a clip of Miller v Matthews. Hilarious! I had to see it on the Tonight Show so I didn't see all of it, but to see a US Senator say point blank "Get out of my face" is kind of surreal.
  14. procure's Avatar
    Posts
    302 Posts
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw
    I live in New York as I'm sure a few treocentral members do. Have you noticed how empty the city is this week? In my office 80-90% of people are either on vacation or "working from home".

    To me this speaks volumes as to how safe America feels living under Bush's strategy against terrorism. Basically everyone has fled the city because they probably quite rightly think that this is a great time for a terrorist strike in NYC.
    I don't live in New York so I can't comment on why people are staying away. Maybe they just want to avoid the congestion. However, it's important to note that no terrorist strike occurred during the convention. No terrorist strike has occurred in the US since 9/11/01. So if people really did flee the city because of security concerns, it was unfounded.

    Quote Originally Posted by mjw
    What really gets on my nerves is how much this convention must be costing New Yorkers. We've got police out on every block in the city all day long, roads blocked off, and helicopters patrolling constantly and to top it off all the local businesses are pretty much devoid of customers.

    Presumably we will be paying for all of this in our Local Taxes this year. As if it wasn't bad enough suffering 9/11, a 20% property tax hike, and then seeing disproportionate amounts of the homeland security budget go to states like Kansas.

    Thank god for the people who came to New York to protest.
    I guess the RNC forgot to ask you for permission to hold the convention in YOUR city? On one hand you claim that New York is ripe for a terrorist attack, and then you complain about the cost and inconvenience of the security. No wonder you support Flip-Flop Kerry.
  15. #75  
    Wasn't he saying NYC was ripe for a possible attack because of the RNC (large target to attack?) That is why it was costly and inconvenient. I don't see the flip-flop here. Your point that nothing happened is well taken (and good news.) As you have said though, hindsight is 20-20. Frances may do no destruction where some folks live, but they're leaving their homes in Florida behind just in case. When they come home to find most of their homes standing, they'll breathe a sigh of relief. They were still inconvenienced and subject to cost, however.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I finally saw a clip of Miller v Matthews. Hilarious! I had to see it on the Tonight Show so I didn't see all of it, but to see a US Senator say point blank "Get out of my face" is kind of surreal.
    It was indeed.
  17. #77  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw
    I live in New York as I'm sure a few treocentral members do. Have you noticed how empty the city is this week? In my office 80-90% of people are either on vacation or "working from home".

    To me this speaks volumes as to how safe America feels living under Bush's strategy against terrorism. Basically everyone has fled the city because they probably quite rightly think that this is a great time for a terrorist strike in NYC.
    Everyone I work with lives in New York. They are out of town because a) late August is traditional vacation time for the financial services industry (which is a huge chunk of NY's economy) and b) there are a lot of people coming to town and there will be a lot of disruptions. I've heard no one say they were afraid.
  18. #78  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjw
    Thank god for the people who came to New York to protest.
    I would suspect that the people at the convention spent more tourist dollars then the protestors
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    I would suspect that the people at the convention spent more tourist dollars then the protestors

    I hope they both spent up a storm, but it may not make up for the lack of locals in the smaller shops. Hopefully it's as Kurt put it and they take the season into account for lowered numbers.
  20. mrjoec's Avatar
    Posts
    369 Posts
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    #80  
    Actually, I've watched a lot of interviews with New York small business owners, and I know some people who live in New York. The city was empty this week, comparitively speaking, and many businesses lost money. But I would guess that it was mostly due to New Yorkers getting enough congestion all year, and simply not wanting to deal with extra commuting issues. I don't think it was necessarily an implication that they were mad about the convention. Although that's probably true for some.

    They also knew the protesters were coming, and probably wanted to avoid that mess, too.

    I think the city would have been similarly emptied if the Democratic convention had been held there. New Yorkers have little patience for inconvenience. They get enough of it already on a daily basis.

    The problem I had with holding the convention in NYC was that it was an obvious ploy to get people back into the emotional state they were in during the 9/11 crisis—the height of Bush's approval rating. Brilliant move, admittedly, but in poor taste, in my opinion. When Rudi G said "I turned to my police commisioner and said, 'I'm so glad George Bush is our president'" I came within inches of vomitting. I mean, really. In what alternate reality would that sentence actually have been uttered, given the circumstances of the day? It sounded like a really poorly-written best man speech at a wedding.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com

Posting Permissions