Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    Okay it sounds ridiculous, but think about it. I would say it's safe to bet that Treo 600 users are the type of business minded professionals who enjoy fine material goods regardless of income. So, it is time for me to shop for a new car, and as I am making the assumption that most of us would be in a similiar mindset, I'll post here.

    I'm currently driving a 2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer with all the options. I have decided to get rid of it as the payments are extremely high. So I'm planning to trade it in for a nice used semi luxury vehicle in the low 20k range.

    I've found a few select ones that I've been eyeing over. And here's the list so far.

    1. An Infinity G35 lease (as I can't pull of the purchase right now, but still high on the payment ladder)
    2. 2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Kompresser Sport Coupe (62k miles, loaded, dealer asking $18,995. )
    3. A used BMW 3 series
    4. Used Audi A4 1.8t
    5. Used Porche Boxter

    Now I live right next to my job, so this will be used for weekend outtings, maybe some grocery shopping and other small errands. Feel free to suggest anything that comes to mind with regards to the semi luxury segment.

    Thank you in advance for all replies.
  2. #2  
    I'd axe #2 right away. 62k miles on a 2-3 year old car is a lot of miles
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3. #3  
    Get a 300C SRT!!!!!
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4. #4  
    I can't believe this! I just purchased a new car and your first three options were on my list also, along with the 350Z. I chose the Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor sports coupe. I absolutely love it!!! I've had it a little over a month now. I was looking for a little luxury at an affordable price. I guess us gadget lovers have more in common than just gadgets.

    Good Luck with your purchase!

    Gadgetdiva
  5. #5  
    Traded my Mercedes SLK Kompressor for a 55 MPG Prius...
    (Economical AND will power my TV during blackouts)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgetdiva
    I can't believe this! I just purchased a new car and your first three options were on my list also, along with the 350Z. I chose the Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor sports coupe. I absolutely love it!!! I've had it a little over a month now. I was looking for a little luxury at an affordable price. I guess us gadget lovers have more in common than just gadgets.

    Good Luck with your purchase!

    Gadgetdiva

    I went and looked at the C230 yesterday. Overall, it was extremely clean. Of course there was going to be the small rock chips on the front from regular wear and tear, but overall it was very nice As far as I'm concerned, 62k miles on a Mercedes really is nothing at all. If you maintain those engines correctly, they will run forever. The only downside to this car, was no leather interior which was high on my list.

    The dealership is going to give me a ring today regarding trade in on my vehicle, but I have a feeling I'll be selling it outright. I'm really hoping for a decent offer, but I doubt it.
  7. cec
    cec is offline
    cec's Avatar
    Posts
    290 Posts
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    #7  
    I am a performance car junky. Judging by your list you are focusing on performance. Personally I would avoid the C-class - you can get a lot more bang for your buck elsewhere. Why not look at the Subaru WRX Sti or Mitshubishi Evo? A little boy racerish I know but you can't come close to matching the performance for the dollar of those two rockets. Personally I would get the Scoobie in a muted color sans the spoiler. Not only is it fast but with all-wheel drive it makes for a great year-round everyday ride.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cec
    I am a performance car junky. Judging by your list you are focusing on performance. Personally I would avoid the C-class - you can get a lot more bang for your buck elsewhere. Why not look at the Subaru WRX Sti or Mitshubishi Evo? A little boy racerish I know but you can't come close to matching the performance for the dollar of those two rockets. Personally I would get the Scoobie in a muted color sans the spoiler. Not only is it fast but with all-wheel drive it makes for a great year-round everyday ride.

    Ah, I see your point and why you think I'm going on the perfomance features. Honestly, performance really isn't #1 priority overall. I really am looking for something a little more "classy" so to say with sport second. That's why I looked at the G35 over the 350z. I'm a mid twenties career minded professional "trying to dress the part"

    I do like the WRX as well as the EVO, but I really am looking for something a little more mature in stature. Great suggestions though! Thanks!
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Twice
    enjoy fine material goods regardless of income
    That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Financially you'll never amount to anything with that attitude. I enjoy fine material goods because of my income. Living beyond your means is stupid.


    Couple of points.

    Leases are a rip off. If you cant afford to pay cash you cant afford the car.

    You live next to work so you want to buy this for a weekend car? Buy something you can afford.

    "trying to dress the part"? Buy a car you cant afford to impress people you dont care about or even know. What is this going to do for YOU? I'll answer that. It's going to put you in debt.

    Tip for you. Successful wealthy people dont buy cars to impress anyone. They buy cars for transportation. They also don't buy anything new. Too much depreciation in the first year.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  10. #10  
    I bought a 350Z (jan2004, needed to save up) as it was the only car I've wanted since the 350 was announced in 2002. Lovin every gear wrenching turn!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Financially you'll never amount to anything with that attitude. I enjoy fine material goods because of my income. Living beyond your means is stupid.


    Couple of points.

    Leases are a rip off. If you cant afford to pay cash you cant afford the car.

    You live next to work so you want to buy this for a weekend car? Buy something you can afford.

    "trying to dress the part"? Buy a car you cant afford to impress people you dont care about or even know. What is this going to do for YOU? I'll answer that. It's going to put you in debt.

    Tip for you. Successful wealthy people dont buy cars to impress anyone. They buy cars for transportation. They also don't buy anything new. Too much depreciation in the first year.
    Perhaps I should have rephrased my statement. I am speaking of goods within their means. I have no problem affording a brand new vehicle at all, but I will never purchase new. Just as you stated, depreciation.

    Note that only one of the vehicles mentioned above was new, the G35. The reason I considered the lease is the payment is less, and I don't drive very much after I relocated near work. Prior to my move, I was driving 84 miles round trip to work which forced me to purchase my vehicles.

    Now am I image concious? Yes absolutely. I'm 25, single, have no debt and do extremely well in comparison to others my age. I can afford to be a little image concious, but I don't think I'm being irresponsibe at all. I'm not putting myself in debt for a 40k or 50k dollar car, I'm am keeping the tag around the low 20k mark. What's the difference between me purchasing a brand new vehicle for 20k or a nice used certified vehicle for 20k. Absolutely nothing.

    I just personally prefer a higher end used car than purchasing a new economy model.

    Oh, and as far as dressing the part goes. Why not. If I walked into work today with jeans and a t-shirt on with some dirty beat up tennis shoes I'd be treated like a 18 year old kid.

    At 25 years old, managing people 10 to 15 years plus my age there is an professional image to maintain as well as a respect level that I have to put forth to get it back in return.
    Last edited by Twice; 08/31/2004 at 11:26 AM.
  12. AirData's Avatar
    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #12  
    How about a Crossfire? Under the skin it is an SLK320...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by AirData
    How about a Crossfire? Under the skin it is an SLK320...

    Awesome car. Friend of mine just got his convertable crossfire a few weeks back. That car is extremely fast, suprised the heck outta me.

    As stated though, I'm definetly looking in the used 20k range. I'm trying to bring down my vehicle payments from what they are currently at, and the crossfire is about even if not more than my payment now.
  14. AirData's Avatar
    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    #14  
    You can buy a brand new 2004 in the 20k range!!!
    Last edited by AirData; 08/31/2004 at 11:38 AM.
  15. #15  
    Did you ever think of a Cadilac? You can get nice ones used at a very good price (@ $10,000). They run very well, get good gas milage on the open road, are sporty, reliable, and usually have leather. They usually run for over 200,000 miles.
  16. #16  
    I'm consistent - - - if nothing else
    Attached Images Attached Images
  17. TxDot's Avatar
    Posts
    892 Posts
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    #17  
    One other item I would add to Woof's list of things successful wealthy don't do. They don't throw away money on interest. They pay cash. It's very hard to deny to yourself something long enough to save up the money but in the long run you're better off for doing it. Usually it's only really hard the first time around because if you buy a good car and keep it while continuing to save the car payment not only will you have enough the pay cash for the next car you will have earned some interest instead of paying interest.

    I admire your desire to reduce your payment as I assume your are trying to be financially wise. Just make sure that the amount of the payment isn't the overriding factor in your decision because many people let that drive them and in the end they pay a tremendous "penalty" in finance charges.

    So the big question is; are you a mature enough 25 year old to take advice from folks older and presumably wiser than you?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by TxDot
    One other item I would add to Woof's list of things successful wealthy don't do. They don't throw away money on interest. They pay cash. It's very hard to deny to yourself something long enough to save up the money but in the long run you're better off for doing it. Usually it's only really hard the first time around because if you buy a good car and keep it while continuing to save the car payment not only will you have enough the pay cash for the next car you will have earned some interest instead of paying interest.

    I admire your desire to reduce your payment as I assume your are trying to be financially wise. Just make sure that the amount of the payment isn't the overriding factor in your decision because many people let that drive them and in the end they pay a tremendous "penalty" in finance charges.

    So the big question is; are you a mature enough 25 year old to take advice from folks older and presumably wiser than you?
    Ha, yes absoluetly. That is the exact reason for my post. I know exactly what you mean regarding the payment size. I plan on putting a decent amount down and financing for short term. Can I afford to pay cash for a vehicle, unfortunately no. Well, let me rephrase. Yes I could, but it would probably be a car that I would spend more time repairing and worrying about my safety in it. I have good credit, and will have no problems with the loan. In fact I'm approved for way more then I would ever think of spending.

    Anyway, I did take a look at the C230 I mentioned in my original post. It was nice, however I couldn't bring myself to justify the price they were asking. It was a beautiful car, fit and finish was extremely nice. However, it is just a car and it was really nothing special in comparison to some of the others I had looked at in the same price range.

    Right now I'm back to the drawing board. I am very focused on getting my first home, so I just put my motorcycle up for sale as well. I should have been in my home already......... ex fiances work wonders on the finances
  19. #19  
    I think any of those would be good. This coming from someone who drives a Corolla.
  20. #20  
    We need to get a picture of what you look like so that we can properly select a vichicle for you!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions