1.    #1  
    Has anyone installed Microsoft's latest venture in incompetence, also known as Service Pack 2? It is supposed to be incompatible with quite a few older programs and bugs have already been discovered. However, it is supposed to have increased security. I have a brand-new Sony laptop and a number of older programs, so I'm afraid of messing things up. Any opinions - to install or not to install?
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    I would wait, there are too may people having problems. I'm delaying the rollout at my company until I have more info and more feedback.

http://news.com.com/Rough+patches+fo...tml?tag=cd.hed
    I have had great success. The incompatibility is mostly that the new built in firewall has to recognize all of your programs that use your internet connection. Just like any firewall it has to learn what is allowed and what is not.
    I haven't had any problems and the wifi on my laptop is working better than ever I think they improved the drivers It took about an hour.
    My father installed sp2, and has been on the phone with tech support for the last 3 days. Apparently it has interfered with almost every program he uses, and he's no novice.
    I installed it and have not had a problem . . . yet
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    I have had great success. The incompatibility is mostly that the new built in firewall has to recognize all of your programs that use your internet connection. Just like any firewall it has to learn what is allowed and what is not.
    does one have to use the native firewall, or can it be disabled?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    does one have to use the native firewall, or can it be disabled?
    It can be disabled.
    I have installed it on 2 computers and have had no problems.
    I have installed it on two computers and HAD problems. But God helps Children, Drunks and Idiots. I qualify for the last one.

After download and install and reboot, Both computers locked up on the individual user screen...that is the screen after you log in as the user. No icons, no thinking, no response to anything except alt ctlr del.

When I called up the task monitor with alt ctrl del it showed what applications were running...obvioulsy. For some reason I chose to end the application for the printer I have set up for the lan at our house. Don't ask me why. I ended the HP application for that printer...which showed it was NOT using any of the resources....and when I did that it came back alive and I had icons again.

Someone else can figure that out.

Also one of the computers would not access the internet thru the router in the house. I called Sony CS and while on hold thought I would just click on Wolfenstein ET for grins....after a sec or two it accessed the internet and showed me all the available servers to play the game. I exited and now IE worked fine

I guess they are right about Him working in mysterious ways. I am on the way to the 7 / 11 to buy lottery tickets now.
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    I have been beta testing service pack 2 and found it very stable. There are a few programs that are not compatable, but eventually those programs will be updated to support the new features sp2 offers. Also version 5 of windows update will be including sp2, if it's not already there.

What I would recommend to all you tech savvy users out there is to slipstream sp2 into your current Windows XP install cd. Then the next time you need to install Windows XP, you'll have sp2 installed automaticaly.
    Browse over to my new forum. http://www.palmfanatic.com

"The wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand. The ordinary telegraph is like a very long cat. You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in Los Angeles. The wireless is the same, only without the cat. " - Albert Einstein

Palm IIIxe - Kyocera 7135 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 -> Palm Vx - Tungsten T3 - Treo 700p