Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Stocks Fall on Jump in Jobless Claims

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...re/wall_street

Ranks of Poor, Uninsured Rose in 2003

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...census_poverty

Bush's approval rating below 40%

http://www.economist.com/media/pdf/YouGovG.pdf
    Actually, that would be bad news for Americans, right?

So I assume good news for the country is bad news for you? Weird logic.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Actually, that would be bad news for Americans, right?

So I assume good news for the country is bad news for you? Weird logic.
    Of COURSE it's bad news for Americans. Please tell me that question was rhetorical, because from reading your past posts I assumed you were more intelligent than that.

The context of the title of this post is that these numbers are BAD NEWS for Bush's re-election bid. He's continually told the American people that "we've turned the corner" and "the economy is strong!" and yet on a continuous basis numbers like this indicate the contrary.

Sort of like the story of the Emperor's new clothes....

Once upon a time there lived a vain Emperor whose only worry in life was to dress in elegant clothes. He changed clothes almost every hour and loved to show them off to his people.

Word of the Emperor's refined habits spread over his kingdom and beyond. Two scoundrels who had heard of the Emperor's vanity decided to take advantage of it. They introduced themselves at the gates of the palace with a scheme in mind.

"We are two very good tailors and after many years of research we have invented an extraordinary method to weave a cloth so light and fine that it looks invisible. As a matter of fact it is invisible to anyone who is too stupid and incompetent to appreciate its quality."

The chief of the guards heard the scoundrel's strange story and sent for the court chamberlain. The chamberlain notified the prime minister, who ran to the Emperor and disclosed the incredible news. The Emperor's curiosity got the better of him and he decided to see the two scoundrels.

"Besides being invisible, your Highness, this cloth will be woven in colors and patterns created especially for you." The emperor gave the two men a bag of gold coins in exchange for their promise to begin working on the fabric immediately.

"Just tell us what you need to get started and we'll give it to you." The two scoundrels asked for a loom, silk, gold thread and then pretended to begin working. The Emperor thought he had spent his money quite well: in addition to getting a new extraordinary suit, he would discover which of his subjects were ignorant and incompetent. A few days later, he called the old and wise prime minister, who was considered by everyone as a man with common sense.

"Go and see how the work is proceeding," the Emperor told him, "and come back to let me know."

The prime minister was welcomed by the two scoundrels.

"We're almost finished, but we need a lot more gold thread. Here, Excellency! Admire the colors, feel the softness!" The old man bent over the loom and tried to see the fabric that was not there. He felt cold sweat on his forehead.

"I can't see anything," he thought. "If I see nothing, that means I'm stupid! Or, worse, incompetent!" If the prime minister admitted that he didn't see anything, he would be discharged from his office.

"What a marvelous fabric, he said then. "I'll certainly tell the Emperor." The two scoundrels rubbed their hands gleefully. They had almost made it. More thread was requested to finish the work.

Finally, the Emperor received the announcement that the two tailors had come to take all the measurements needed to sew his new suit.

"Come in," the Emperor ordered. Even as they bowed, the two scoundrels pretended to be holding large roll of fabric.

"Here it is your Highness, the result of our labour," the scoundrels said. "We have worked night and day but, at last, the most beautiful fabric in the world is ready for you. Look at the colors and feel how fine it is." Of course the Emperor did not see any colors and could not feel any cloth between his fingers. He panicked and felt like fainting. But luckily the throne was right behind him and he sat down. But when he realized that no one could know that he did not see the fabric, he felt better. Nobody could find out he was stupid and incompetent. And the Emperor didn't know that everybody else around him thought and did the very same thing.

The farce continued as the two scoundrels had foreseen it. Once they had taken the measurements, the two began cutting the air with scissors while sewing with their needles an invisible cloth.

"Your Highness, you'll have to take off your clothes to try on your new ones." The two scoundrels draped the new clothes on him and then held up a mirror. The Emperor was embarrassed but since none of his bystanders were, he felt relieved.

"Yes, this is a beautiful suit and it looks very good on me," the Emperor said trying to look comfortable. "You've done a fine job."

"Your Majesty," the prime minister said, "we have a request for you. The people have found out about this extraordinary fabric and they are anxious to see you in your new suit." The Emperor was doubtful showing himself naked to the people, but then he abandoned his fears. After all, no one would know about it except the ignorant and the incompetent.

"All right," he said. "I will grant the people this privilege." He summoned his carriage and the ceremonial parade was formed. A group of dignitaries walked at the very front of the procession and anxiously scrutinized the faces of the people in the street. All the people had gathered in the main square, pushing and shoving to get a better look. An applause welcomed the regal procession. Everyone wanted to know how stupid or incompetent his or her neighbor was but, as the Emperor passed, a strange murmur rose from the crowd.

Everyone said, loud enough for the others to hear: "Look at the Emperor's new clothes. They're beautiful!"

"What a marvellous train!"

"And the colors! The colors of that beautiful fabric! I have never seen anything like it in my life!" They all tried to conceal their disappointment at not being able to see the clothes, and since nobody was willing to admit his own stupidity and incompetence, they all behaved as the two scoundrels had predicted.

A child, however, who had no important job and could only see things as his eyes showed them to him, went up to the carriage.

"The Emperor is naked," he said.

"Fool!" his father reprimanded, running after him. "Don't talk nonsense!" He grabbed his child and took him away. But the boy's remark, which had been heard by the bystanders, was repeated over and over again until everyone cried:

"The boy is right! The Emperor is naked! It's true!"

The Emperor realized that the people were right but could not admit to that. He though it better to continue the procession under the illusion that anyone who couldn't see his clothes was either stupid or incompetent. And he stood stiffly on his carriage, while behind him a page held his imaginary mantle.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Of course it's bad news for America, and for Mr. Bush's re-election bid. That's why we're getting it now, instead of mid-September, when this report traditionally comes out.

Timing is everything, ladies and gents. Not that I'm criticizing. On the contrary, I think it's yet another example of Bush's team knowing how to play this game very well.

The fun part will be listening to his speech next week, as he goes on with the same "turning the corner" "best economy in the last hundred years" rhetoric, completely ignoring the numbers right in front of him.

Unlike the Dems, the Repubicans know how to sidestep a landmine.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    Of COURSE it's bad news for Americans. Please tell me that question was rhetorical, because from reading your past posts I assumed you were more intelligent than that.
    Ouch. I'm being oppressed! People on the left keep implying I'm stupid. That must mean something, but I don't have the brain cells to figure it out.

Actually, the question was directed at your knowledge, not mine. It's interesting that you find bad news about the country, but only perceive it as bad news for Bush. That's the typical liberal mentality these days. I'm sure you guys can't wait for more bad news so it will hurt Bush.

Isn't it too bad Dems seem to be hoping for bad news to help their own personal crusades against the president, instead of hoping for good news for our country? Hey, maybe you'll find lots of bad news about the economy, Iraq, terrorists, etc. before the election. Yipee!
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec
    That's why we're getting it now, instead of mid-September, when this report traditionally comes out. Timing is everything, ladies and gents.
    I didn't know these reports came out early - veeeeery interesting. I wonder if good news reports are being held back.
    Ouch. I'm being oppressed! People on the left keep implying I'm stupid. That must mean something, but I don't have the brain cells to figure it out.

Actually, the question was directed at your knowledge, not mine. It's interesting that you find bad news about the country, but only perceive it as bad news for Bush. That's the typical liberal mentality these days. I'm sure you guys can't wait for more bad news so it will hurt Bush.

Isn't it too bad Dems seem to be hoping for bad news to help their own personal crusades against the president, instead of hoping for good news for our country? Hey, maybe you'll find lots of bad news about the economy, Iraq, terrorists, etc. before the election. Yipee!
    I'm not hoping for bad news, Heberman, please don't speak for me. I really do want the best for the US
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    I'm not hoping for bad news, Heberman, please don't speak for me. I really do want the best for the US
    You're right Tribalenvy - I was speaking too broadly. Sorry. I meant that SOME Kerry supporters seem to feel that way.
    You're right Tribalenvy - I was speaking too broadly. Sorry. I meant that SOME Kerry supporters seem to feel that way.
    I appreciate you bringing that up, heberman, and thanks for putting it that way. People here will make statements that are broadbased and it's just wrong. Whenever someone starts a sentence with, "the problem with republicans is...", or "All liberals want ..." everything after is wrong. Truth is there will be democrats voting for Bush, and Republicans voting for Kerry. Not all, maybe not even many, but some and it taints the rest of one's arguement when it is started that way. Not all liberals are for gun control...not all republicans are against gays marrying...I mean, I'd hate to be painted with such a broad brush, and most people have views that differ from their party lines, or even their neighbors. The lists are endless, but I think you get my point.

I don't know of anyone (democrat or republican) who is excited or happy about the economic news. I live in a very poor state with the largest stats on uninsured people, and no one here is dancing over it. Now to blame this on Bush isn't very fair (although that will happen) as congress plays a big hand in this as well.

Oh well...at least we have pictures of the new treo 600 on the main discussion page. I think I can hear my own echo in off topic right now
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    True, Tribal. True.

And I think that congress, republicans and democrats alike, in addition to sharing the blame for this latest bit of bad news, should be taken outside and slapped upside the head for postponing the implementation of the 9/11 commission's recommendations. Since when is a summer vacation more important than our safety?
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Global Posts
    939 Global Posts
    Stocks Fall on Jump in Jobless Claims

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...re/wall_street

Ranks of Poor, Uninsured Rose in 2003

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...census_poverty

Bush's approval rating below 40%

http://www.economist.com/media/pdf/YouGovG.pdf

i will hold john kerry to one helluva standard if or when he gets in. you know why? because its anything derogatory that can be said about bush
    there wont be any slack or patience given to kerry. with the level of disapproval of bush here, i CANT WAIT to evaluate kerry, im almost salivating.

he better deliver on not some of his promises... ALL OF THEM. or else there will be those of us who will simply not let bygones by bygones.

dont get me wrong, if he does a good job, than i will point that out as well, but with these types of bush attacks, trust me, kerry isnt going to be given any wiggle room. its gonna be showtime the day hes in office, and we`ll be awatchin. i almost look forward to the opportunity to come
    This is clearly a personal attack. At least as clear as all the other personal attacks.

And how about a link instead of an entire novel.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    This is clearly a personal attack. At least as clear as all the other personal attacks.

That issue was addressed by me in a PM to heberman hours ago.

As for the length of my posts, if there is a problem with that, I'm sure the board Admins will let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof

For real... That took FOREVER for scroll though on my Treo!

Btw, EuroKitty, why soooo angry. Angry Liberal is just soo...um Deaniac!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Btw, EuroKitty, why soooo angry. Angry Liberal is just soo...um Deaniac!
    <insert> "The Scream"
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    That issue was addressed by me in a PM to heberman hours ago.

As for the length of my posts, if there is a problem with that, I'm sure the board Admins will let me know.

Like gfunkmagic alluded to in his post, it's rude to waste that much space when a link will do.

And I am happy you and heberman are pm'ing. I was offended by your statement. You did the same thing I have been accused of. Guess it's ok for you to do.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by vw2002
    ...dont get me wrong, if he does a good job, than i will point that out as well, but with these types of bush attacks, trust me, kerry isnt going to be given any wiggle room. its gonna be showtime the day hes in office, and we`ll be awatchin. i almost look forward to the opportunity to come
    Every president in office is held, and should be held, to the highest standards, not only Bush or Kerry (if elected). Did you forget the attacks on Clinton?
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    -Michael Pritchard
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Have you listened to Dean's message or the "scream" itself? It is called selective hearing!...

Actually listened to both his message and scream, but found the scream more interesting!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    the thread topic link claims only 40% approval for bush. really? so why is bush either leading or neck and neck with kerry in many states that GORE carried?
    id say kerry has his work cut out for him. this will be no walk in the park.
    This is not really severe bad news, but it illustrates where the US are drifting to with the current policies they are following (meaning the Bush administration): The Swiss-US chamber of commerce today announced that imports of Switzerland from the US went down 17.3% last year. Tourism e.g. went down 42% even. This is DESPITE the devaluation of the US$ when compared to the Swiss Franc or the Euro, and cannot be explained by economic reasons alone, as stated by Martin Naville, CEO of the Swiss-American chamber of commerce. According to him, the reduced imports (meaning the reduced exports of the US into Switzerland) are a sign of "growing anti-americanism".

Please don't take this personally, the Swiss really like the US people . It's just the behaviour of the Bush administration many here strongly dislike...

I am aware of the fact that Switzerland is only a small part of the world economy - on the other hand, who says other countries feel and act differently?

I know this will not have any effect on the Bush fans here... so good luck in your splendid isolation...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast