Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    I could have done without the bush daughters on stage. wow. ( shut up! and get off the stage!!!) go back to the mtv awards girls it was two nights ago.
    Leave the grrls alone...they are soo cute
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    lol. I know. they were nice. just sticking up for their dad.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    I was returning a particular tone of condescension with which you addressed me with your, " we like americans, they are creative and hard working..
    My post was in reply to Clairegrrl's "When we finally take over Switzerville", it wasn't addressed at you, hence the fun in the tone. Apart from that, I simply presented sound economical data. If a nation continually spends more than it earns and exports less than it imports, there is no other way than selling off parts of the economy to foreign companies, otherwise you go bankrupt. You may not like that, but that doesn't change the fact that this is how it is.

And it is also true that Americans are creative and hard working people, or would you deny that?

And don't you think it is a good thing that 430'000 US employees have a job in a Swiss company? Is there anything bad about that in your view?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    If a nation continually spends more than it earns and exports less than it imports, there is no other way than selling off parts of the economy to foreign companies, otherwise you go bankrupt. You may not like that, but that doesn't change the fact that this is how it is.
    As the strongest and most important economy is the world, the US attracts investors from everywhere. The phrase "selling off" is is not accurate. The government in the US does not own industries, unlike europe, so they have nothing to sell. Your thinking that somehow the US would go bankrupt because of it's balance of trade is also pretty ridiculous.
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    As the strongest and most important economy is the world, the US attracts investors from everywhere. The phrase "selling off" is is not accurate. The government in the US does not own industries, unlike europe, so they have nothing to sell. Your thinking that somehow the US would go bankrupt because of it's balance of trade is also pretty ridiculous.
    Can you show me where in my post I wrote the US government owns or sells companies?

Can you show me where in my post I wrote the US will go bankrupt because or their trade deficit? Of course they will not.

Are you sure you read my post well enough to call my thinking ridiculous?

As far as I know, no economist has ever doubted that in any economy a trade deficit only works as long as foreign investors invest into that economy, and because of that then own growing parts of that economy. That's all, I didn't say it is the end of the world.

As long as foreign countries are willing to invest, the trade deficit is no problem, but of course the higher the deficit, the higher the dependency on foreign economies.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    clulup (made sure to spell it right this time)

Isn't there a flip side to this also? I would think the US is a special case. The US is a huge economy, California alone is the 6th largest in the world. Therefore a disportionate amount of exports from other countries end up in the US. So are not many exporting countries economies dependent on the US. I would think more so than the US on other economies. If the US were to enter a trade war with the Swiss, who would lose out the most? Currently, the world economy tends to track the US's economy merely because the US buys (imports) so many goods.

By the way, I'll be visiting Europe for the first time next week. I'll be in Lucerne for a day. Any suggestions (besides the Lion). Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by carter437
    clulup (made sure to spell it right this time)

Isn't there a flip side to this also? I would think the US is a special case. The US is a huge economy, California alone is the 6th largest in the world. Therefore a disportionate amount of exports from other countries end up in the US. So are not many exporting countries economies dependent on the US. I would think more so than the US on other economies. If the US were to enter a trade war with the Swiss, who would lose out the most? Currently, the world economy tends to track the US's economy merely because the US buys (imports) so many goods.

By the way, I'll be visiting Europe for the first time next week. I'll be in Lucerne for a day. Any suggestions (besides the Lion). Thanks.
    Of course there is always interdependence in economy. Switzerland would loose 10.6 % of its exports in a total trade war, and the US their sixth-largest investor.

Regarding Luzerne, I am sure you will want to see the Chapel bridge, too, and more of the old town. You have a great view from the mountains Rigi and Pilatus, but you may not have the time. More on Lucerne here. Have fun, tell me how you liked it when you are back!
    [QUOTE=treobk214you are usually quick to respond to any comments made here.... you took a long time to respond to our point regarding your banking for dictators, didn't you? we must have gotten under your skin on that one, huh?[/QUOTE]

I was looking for Clulup myself on here at around the same time. He simply wasn't online (or at Treocentral.)

Aside from busy lives there are also time zone differences that need to be taken into account.
    Since this thread was once about the Bush administration, here is story with an interesting viewpoint. Clearly the author has never been to this country.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/NewsStory...nion&OID=58862

Spews the hatred pretty good though and he talks about racism.

Crawl back under your rock.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    nice work, woof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Since this thread was once about the Bush administration, here is story with an interesting viewpoint. Clearly the author has never been to this country.

http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/NewsStory...nion&OID=58862

Spews the hatred pretty good though and he talks about racism.

Crawl back under your rock.
    So some strange guy presented his weird views of the US in an Op-Ed piece on some internet site in the Philippines... Is there ANY significance to it? I doubt it....

BTW, how did you find this bizzare Op-Ed from the other side of the globe? Do you read Philippine newspapers or what?
    clulup, believe it or not it showed up on Google News. Thats my home page. I get all sorts of interesting news from all over there.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    clulup, believe it or not it showed up on Google News. Thats my home page. I get all sorts of interesting news from all over there.
    You read news?? Just kidding, Woof, ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    You read news?? Just kidding, Woof, ok?

Now where in any of my posts did I say I could read? I am tired of all these accusations.

— Ed Howdershelt
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    I believe the guy in the article woof links hits the nail right on the head. Freakin Bush is leading us down a path to a point where not only will we not be able to lauch these preemptive wars, but not even be able to defend ourselves should we really need to. There is no other outcome to his policy over the long term. He thinks Americans are afraid now (The message from the RNC was basically be afraid, vote for Bush or die), wait until we have a true need to defend ourselves and don't have the resources to do so. I feel if Bush is re-elected, we will be showing the rest of the world we don't give a sh!@ what they think of us and that, in return, we couldn't give a care about them. If re-elected, it will be the beginning of the downfall of the US as a super-power. I suppose this was inevitable given the end of the cold war, but America will never be the America my grandfather knew or dreamed of.

Aren't we all on this planet together ? Doesn't anyone think that teaching the next several generations of Muslims that they have nothing to fear from us (and take actions that re-enforce that statement) would be a better way to acheive a peaceful globe than smashing anyone we don't like or who doesn't like us to pieces ? Sure, there are factions of Muslims who want us dead at any price, but aren't extremists in the minority everywhere in the world ?

Or is everyone in the US just stupid enough to buy this load of crap the Bush-Cheney is selling. How can making friends in the world as opposed to making enemies be a bad thing for us ?
    Yes let's teach everyone they have nothing to fear from us and they will move and take over at their discretion. That's a great plan. Maybe your plan would work better if we all just converted.

Damn liberals. You always think kissing someones *** and making friend with them is the best way. Lets all be friends and no one will fight. When are you ever gonna realize some people arent interested in how nice you are, they want to kill you anyway. Do you suppose if the crips and the bloods took your advice gang warfare would just stop? More likely one would wipe out the other and then be unopposed to do whatever it liked to the rest of the world.

I guess you would try to make friends with the guy who breaks into your house to rape and kill your family. When your wife and daughter have been raped and slaughtered please post and tell us how well it went. Me I'll shoot 'em and know my family is safe.

You also make some interesting accusations in your post. How about backing them up with some facts. I.e our inability to defend ourselves etc.

And for what it's worth, our race has never been a peaceful one. Humans enjoy warring with each other. It's our competitive nature. There will always be war on this planet. The only way we'll ever unite is if we are attacked as a race from offworld and even then I doubt we'd all come together. Folks like you would be more for teaching the next several generations of aliens that they have nothing to fear from us (and take actions that re-enforce that statement) would be a better way to acheive a peaceful globe. Good thing there are people like George Bush willing to fight for your sorry ****.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    I, for one, is getting very tired of this!
    You is huh?
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Another example of your arrogance.
    (I, for one, am getting very tired of this!)
    Add me to the list! I am tired of the arrogance displayed on Off Topics by Woof.
    You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    -Michael Pritchard
    the statement that there may always be war may very well be true - sadly.
    you know the us, with all of its technology and power could do anything it wants at any time... but it doesn't.
    america could invade any country and take over its land at any time... but it doesn't.
    america could enslave the people of any country, but it doesn't.
    america could nuke any country it wants for fear of a threat.... but it doesn't.
    in the majority of cases, america uses its power to try and help people, rebuild their nations, send them food, help them replace dictatorsships with a chance to make their own govts.
    fight genocide in sudan, starvation in ethiopia, etc.
    now america is hit by attackers, so she tries to defend herself, and she is met with such criticism.
    its not possible to please everyone simultaneously. they teach us this in grammer school - to give a very simple example. but you try your best to help the most that you can with the means that you have and still try and keep yourself successful. sure, there are things we have done in history which may be subject to debate as to how well we've handled them, but as a whole I believe america has been the best fighter for good on this planet - along with the invaluable efforts of our allies.
    we welcomed people from every culture into our borders and allowed them to create whatever lifestyle they dreamed of for themselves. we gave them freedom to fulfill their dreams! how is it that some people still joust at us that we are only out to exploit the world? sure we live in a capitalist society, so exploiting opportunities for business takes place, but ANY nation presented with these opportunities would do so - that's a fact.
    no one is perfect. but with the types of criticisms of the us I read here it would sound like we were taking over the world as would a napoleon bonaparte, adolf hitler or ghenghis khan! its not the case folks! we do things for the cause of good as our guiding motives, not some tyrannical nation!
    Another example of your arrogance.
    (I, for one, am getting very tired of this!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops
    Add me to the list! I am tired of the arrogance displayed on Off Topics by Woof.

It's funny really. Whenever you dont like what I have to say you get rather sanctimonious. Who cares if you don't like my opinion of liberals. Who cares if you think I am arrogant. It is my opnion and I am entitled to it. Deal with it.

Why do you take every disagreement personally? If you disagree with the points I made then rebutt them. Stop trying to make everything personal.

And have a sense of humor. I jokingly made reference to your obvious grammatical mistake and you get all bent out of shape. Stop taking yourself so seriously.

I for one am tired of YOUR constant complaining about being attacked. If I was of a mind to attack you I could verbally flay the skin from your bones ( and promptly get booted from this site), but I am not. Trust me you have not been attacked. Disagreed with yes, attacked no.
    — Ed Howdershelt
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast