Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    how do the swiss enjx
    how do the swiss enjoy their isolation? any words of advice from veterans of such a situation? lol. very amusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    how do the swiss enjoy their isolation? any words of advice from veterans of such a situation? lol. very amusing.
    We are not isolated at all, why do you think so? Actually, we export far more than we import, and at very good prices!

Something we find really cool is e.g. the price level for drugs: it is EXTREMELY high in the US, Swiss pharma companies like Novartis or Roche earn sh1tloads of money there, thanks to the Bush administration. Unfortunately, they also pay Bush a lot now in his race for presidency, because he makes them so rich....
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    that's one area in which I do agree we have work to do. pharmaceuticals do make far too much money than they should on drug sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Please don't take this personally, the Swiss really like the US people . It's just the behaviour of the Bush administration many here strongly dislike...
    Well when we finally take over Switzerville, then you will be able to vote for President
    Well behaved women rarely make history
    Quote Originally Posted by clairegrrl
    Well when we finally take over Switzerville, then you will be able to vote for President
    Sorry Clairegrrl, in reality it is the other way round: Switzerland has invested US$ 112 billion in 2003, Switzerland was the sixth-largest foreign investor in the US. The US have invested US$ 86 billion "only" in Switzerland. That number was up 21%, Switzerland has recieved the fourth-highest amount of US investments after the US, Japan, and Germany. So US sure know were to put their money.

Fact is Switzerland buys the US faster than the US buys Switzerland. The reason is simple: The US continually spend more than they earn. Your current president is piling up a budget deficit and the economy an ever greater trade deficit. So where does the balance come from? It comes from foreign investors like Swiss (and other foreign) companies that buy up the nicest parts of your economy. That is a good thing for us Swiss, as mentioned before Americans are popular in Switzerland, you are a creative and hard working people, so we like you as our employees.
    Last edited by clulup; 08/31/2004 at 04:52 AM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    one thing that seems consistent with every swiss I've met, is that there is a slight attitude of being smug with themselves. a kind of attempt to portray themselves as somehow loftier than anyone else. and I have several very close swiss friends in glattbrugg, switzerland. nice people - truly. but a slight smugness about them. well to each his own. we enjoy using your swiss bank accounts as well. they serve us quite well, I must say!
    we enjoy using your swiss bank accounts as well. they serve us quite well, I must say!
    What are you trying to say with this? Are you proud because you or your relatives have managed to get money away from US or other tax authorities and put it on a foreign account? Tax fraud is very unpatriotic. So what exactely were you trying to say?
    one thing that seems consistent with every swiss I've met, is that there is a slight attitude of being smug with themselves. a kind of attempt to portray themselves as somehow loftier than anyone else. and I have several very close swiss friends in glattbrugg, switzerland.
    Heir Cheezieness is a perfect example of what you are referring to. I think it goes back to that whole thing of "original" and "genuine". When your national defense is based on army knives it's best to remain neutral.
    Last edited by clairegrrl; 08/31/2004 at 10:48 AM.
    you know its very easy to feign having all the answers to the world's problems when you are neutral to the very world you comment on.
    the swiss take no sides. they sit along the sidelines and color coordinate, saying," you should do this, and you should do that" without ever actually doing something about the very comments or know it all suggestions you make. that's the easy way out. everybody knows that. its not the noble path. if youre not accountable for anything positive or negative in world progress. but yet you have all the answers and crtiques, who will really take that seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    What are you trying to say with this? Are you proud because you or your relatives have managed to get money away from US or other tax authorities and put it on a foreign account? Tax fraud is very unpatriotic. So what exactely were you trying to say?

Now, do you really want to go down that road? For one thing, I don't see the Swiss banks say NO to the money huh? Plus, what about all those billions of Nazi money Swiss banks stole from Halocaust victums?

http://www.swissbankclaims.com/

Lets not, as the cliche says, throw bricks from glass houses...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 08/31/2004 at 01:31 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    are you pardoning all of the blood money your banks have, for years, safehoused for tyrannical murderers who have hidden their riches inside YOUR very banks? and YOU have the nerve to question the morals and character of other nations who are actually trying to actively effect some kind of change in the world?
    are you pardoning all of the blood money your banks have, for years, safehoused for tyrannical murderers who have hidden their riches inside YOUR very banks? and YOU have the nerve to question the morals and character of other nations who are actually trying to actively effect some kind of change in the world?

Ohh, you're good!
    Yeah, and since we are bashing the Swiss, why does their defective cheese have holes in it? Don't they know how to make cheese without any holes?
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!

Are we as Americans? I mean, we borrow money from the Swiss, and we know it's blood money as you put it. What does that say about us? We make these accusations of the Swiss, then smile sweetly as we borrow money from them? Hmmm.
    you know its very easy to feign having all the answers to the world's problems when you are neutral to the very world you comment on.
    the swiss take no sides. they sit along the sidelines and color coordinate, saying," you should do this, and you should do that" without ever actually doing something about the very comments or know it all suggestions you make. that's the easy way out. everybody knows that. its not the noble path. if youre not accountable for anything positive or negative in world progress. but yet you have all the answers and crtiques, who will really take that seriously?
    First of all, treobk214, let me note that I have realized how carefully you avoided my tax fraud question, but decided to launch an attack on Switzerland instead. Telling, don't you think? So what do you or your family need the Swiss accounts YOU brought up for?

As to the rest: no big deal. Switzerland has always used its neutral position to help negotiate and make things better in the world. Switzerland has a very long and intense humanitarian tradition, even if you don't know about it. Take the Red Cross as only one example. It was founded by the Swiss Henri Dunant, and until now, all the 25 members of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), are Swiss citizens. The Red Cross is the inversion of the Swiss flag, in case you didn't know. I guess you agree that hundreds of thousands in the world would not survive without the Red Cross.

I think you should also try to distinguish between the personal views and actions and the past and present actions of the country someone is born in.
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Now, do you really want to go down that road? For one thing, I don't see the Swiss banks say NO to the money huh? Plus, what about all those billions of Nazi money Swiss banks stole from Halocaust victums?
    I strongly condemn every case in which a Swiss bank accepts bad money, I totally agree with you this should not happen. It is true that not all bankers ask enough questions when accepting money from their customers. I don't think the Swiss are worse than others in that respect, though. Keep in mind that a major parts of worldwide private money is in Swiss banks, so it is not surprising if bad cases do show up occasionally. From the fact that they do show up you can tell authorities are working on it.

I don't think Swiss banks stole Nazi money from Holocaust victims, as you stated, how would that work? But I also agree with you that the role of Swiss banks was not beyond doubt at all in many instances during and after World War II. Again, I absolutely agree with you that this had to be corrected. But there were certainly not billions of dollars involved as you mentioned. In the end, the Swiss banks payed US$ 1.25 billion to Jewish organizations, far, far more than was found on Swiss accounts from the times before and during WWII. They are still trying to find a ways to distribute the money.
    Yes, Swiss banks did house too much bad money for too long, but this has been changed long ago. Switzerland certainly is NOT the place a clever dictator will put his money nowadays.

What is your point anyway? I never took any dirty money from anybody, I don't even own stocks of a Swiss Bank.

Yes, I do have the nerve to question some aspects of things other nations do, despite the fact that my nation is not perfect. I also strongly criticize my nation though if I think it does someting wrong.

Note that I also don't blame you personally for importing and abusing millions of slaves, or for the death of millions of native Americans in the early days of the USA. You had nothing to do with that, just as I have nothing to do with the money of some dictator.
    much to your disappointment, im sure, I personally do not have a swiss bank account. I know how much you were looking forward to bashing me on that if I did. wink.
    I was returning a particular tone of condescension with which you addressed me with your, " we like americans, they are creative and hard working.. we like having them as our employees"
    what did you think was going to come of a little snide, smug remark like that? hugs and warm feelings and comraderie. certain things you say will do nothing but instigate things, and you wonder why people come at you like they do.
    you are usually quick to respond to any comments made here.... you took a long time to respond to our point regarding your banking for dictators, didn't you? we must have gotten under your skin on that one, huh?
    you have been quick to point out how you feel america is making wrong choices... look how defensive you get when someone brings up dirty laundry regarding your own country?
    I could have done without the bush daughters on stage. wow. ( shut up! and get off the stage!!!) go back to the mtv awards girls it was two nights ago.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast