Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    I expect it makes sense if you're used to it.
    Kinda like it must make sense to you that 99%+ of the people in the UK don't get to cast a vote for the leader of their government. (If I understand correctly, you simply elect your local MP and then a government is formed headed by the head of the [usually] party with the most Ms of P)
    dems or independents, what have you, on these boards just absolutely seem unable to perceive a point made bythe other side - repubs - without returning with some sort of slight, snicker, insult or a form of stick in the side. its ridiculous. really is.
    case in point - "it must be tough being perfect" - as quoted from earlier in the thread. and ya wonder why "personal attacks" happen, folks. hmmm.....
    laughable.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Kinda like it must make sense to you that 99%+ of the people in the UK don't get to cast a vote for the leader of their government. (If I understand correctly, you simply elect your local MP and then a government is formed headed by the head of the [usually] party with the most Ms of P)

Exactly! I've always thought that the most fundamental form of democracy was Direct Democracy where you get to directly elect your leaders, not the British Parlimentary sys in which you indirectly choose the PM via MP's. Furthermore, the British sys completely eliminates the separation of powers between the legislative and executive branches as they are one. Hence, often British PM's are much more powerful (or weaker depending on the coalitions) in their positions than their American Presidential counterparts...

Edit: Yes, I know about the Electoral College and the manner in which it is used to elect the President. But, regardless of the initial intentions of the college, it is used today to applify the results of the general election in terms of geography and population. Only twice in history (you know when ) has the college and general popular vote not been the same...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    That's right KRamsauer, although nowadays in the European elections we use Proportional Representation as well, which is well confusing
    Animo et Fide
    You should realise that the head of the government here is the PM, but the head of state is the queen. Technically the queen can dissolve the government at any time. This isn't just academic, it happened in (i think) the 70's in australia when the Governer General (the queen's representative, although he didn't ask the queen) dissolved the aussie parliament. I'm not sure if the same thing can happen in Canada. So we don't have complete democracy anyway, technically
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    dems or independents, what have you, on these boards just absolutely seem unable to perceive a point made bythe other side - repubs - without returning with some sort of slight, snicker, insult or a form of stick in the side. its ridiculous. really is.
    case in point - "it must be tough being perfect" - as quoted from earlier in the thread. and ya wonder why "personal attacks" happen, folks. hmmm.....
    laughable.
    Look again at what the quote was in reference to. Another comment made (which I thought was funny) poking fun at the fact that democrats seemed (can't be verified by the original story) far more likely to register to vote twice. The comment was vote early, vote often. I took it as a funny comment, as I did chickdance's. You neglected the first, and slammed the second.

How quickly you forget one of your recent postings while chastizing another member:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=55341

This thread is fairly civil, lets keep it civil.
    You should realise that the head of the government here is the PM, but the head of state is the queen. Technically the queen can dissolve the government at any time. This isn't just academic, it happened in (i think) the 70's in australia when the Governer General (the queen's representative, although he didn't ask the queen) dissolved the aussie parliament. I'm not sure if the same thing can happen in Canada. So we don't have complete democracy anyway, technically
    Doesn't she do so at each election? The PM must ask the Queen to do so (or ask the Queen for permission to do so, or something to that effect) so everyone can go back home and run their 30 day compaigns (oh how wonderful that would be!!!!!!!!!!)
    Er, possibly. I know the head of the majority party gets summoned before the queen and invited to form her government after the election. I don't know if it happens beforehand, but you're probably right. The campaigns aren't really that short though. They're not quite as long as your's but they start long before parliament disbands. One thing I am very thankful for is that we don't have anything even approaching your level of political advertising (or indeed advertising in general) instead we get 'party political broadcasts' which are flagged up as part of the programme schedule, so you know in advance when to turn off . No political adverts are allowed in commercial breaks on the channels which carry adverts.
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    Look again at what the quote was in reference to. Another comment made (which I thought was funny) poking fun at the fact that democrats seemed (can't be verified by the original story) far more likely to register to vote twice. The comment was vote early, vote often. I took it as a funny comment, as I did chickdance's. You neglected the first, and slammed the second.

How quickly you forget one of your recent postings while chastizing another member:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=55341

This thread is fairly civil, lets keep it civil.
    well i wholeheartedly agree, tribal. there was another particular thread which i started in which i was trying to keep it civil from the beginning, but others did not follow this intention and it got ugly. i did not instigate that mess, others did. yet, that`s quickly forgotten as well.
    so yes, lets keep it civil. when people make good points, truthful and without bad intention from either side, they are received and considered.
    The Clinton thread treobk214, I remember. I agree with you as well and hope that philosophy will hold true. We're all smart enough to own a Treo, right? We can be respectful too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    The Clinton thread treobk214, I remember. I agree with you as well and hope that philosophy will hold true. We're all smart enough to own a Treo, right? We can be respectful too.
    One thing I am very thankful for is that we don't have anything even approaching your level of political advertising (or indeed advertising in general) instead we get 'party political broadcasts' which are flagged up as part of the programme schedule, so you know in advance when to turn off .
    I live in a state which is a lock for the republican presidential candidate. Bill Clinton even came in third here behind Ross Perot. As such, while we get advertising for state races, we almost never get any national advertising, or candidate visits, from either side.

Which is too bad. I kind of like to see the political ads.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12