Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Too much time on your hands.
    None of my statements said anything about religion or morality did they?

Perhaps I am the plank. I didnt say I was opposed to abortion, didnt say I was prolife, didnt say I was religious. I was jsut asking questions.
    Too much time? How about 30 seconds?

Are you opposed to abortion? Are you religious?

C'mon. The truth will set you free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    here's one link, read it for yourself, Woof.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/...?printing=true

again, where in your article does it say the survey asked specifically what kind of stem cell reseacrh was supported? If you asked people if they supported stem cell reseacrh and they said yes and then asked if they supported research where human embryos were destroyed would they all answer the same?

My point is how you ask the question is important.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    That's sweet, Woof I guess you didn't put nearly as much thought into what you've written. You just throw around the liberal term when evidence is brought to the contrary, and refuse to debate the information presented.

Wow you like that edit button.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Wow you like that edit button.
    Way too much time on his hands.
    again, where in your article does it say the survey asked specifically what kind of stem cell reseacrh was supported? If you asked people if they supported stem cell reseacrh and they said yes and then asked if they supported research where human embryos were destroyed would they all answer the same?

My point is how you ask the question is important.
    The survey does mention embryos specifically. Why don't you look up the exact questioning behind the survey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    Too much time? How about 30 seconds?

Are you opposed to abortion? Are you religious?

C'mon. The truth will set you free.

Opposed to abortion as a means of birth contol. I think it is a valid action in certain circumstances. Deciding not to be pregnant because it isnt convenient at the moment or because the persons were too lazy or stupid to use birth control are NOT in that list of circumstances.

Define religious.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Way too much time on his hands.
    why because I commented about the three diffedrent versions of that post I saw?

I was saying you had way too much time because you di all the cutting and pasting of my posts. Guess I need to take clulups advice and use the damn smileys
    — Ed Howdershelt
    The survey does mention embryos specifically. Why don't you look up the exact questioning behind the survey.

Why didnt you just say that in your post? or link to the actual survey instead of an article about it?
    — Ed Howdershelt
  9.    #129  
    If people WANT to fund research let them, dont force them.

I am not opposed to stem cell research on religious or moral grounds. I just question why we cant look into research in the areas that dont present such controversy (i.e. adult and cord blood stem cells) Eliminate them first. Who knows maybe we'll find what we're looking for there . Some scientists with hope isnt justification IMO.

NIH funded biomedical research is one of the best investments we can make in our society. For someone to say, we should let the private sector pay for research or I don't need to pay for research if I feel like it.... that is just plain ignorant! That is such a short sighted comment, it infuriates me when stupid people say such things.

As a biomedical researcher myself, I see firsthand the growing roles of political action groups (left or right) in our govenrment who feel the need to manipulate research funding to suit their own idealology or shortsighted vision of priorities. There is an excellent system in place called peer scientific review. It is one of the best things we have going in science, and is a major reason for our current advances. There is no need to change it!
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 08/22/2004 at 05:20 PM.
    Opposed to abortion as a means of birth contol. I think it is a valid action in certain circumstances. Deciding not to be pregnant because it isnt convenient at the moment or because the persons were too lazy or stupid to use birth control are NOT in that list of circumstances.
    So, in what circumstances would an abortion be warranted? Rape? Incest? What about people who do use birth control that FAILS? (There is currently no birth control method that protects 100%.) Do you support the overturning of Roe v. Wade?

Define religious
    a member of a religious order who is bound by vows of poverty and chastity and obedience
    www.cogsci.princeton.edu/cgi-bin/webwn

concerned with sacred matters or religion or the church; "religious texts"; "a nenber if a religious order"; "lords temporal and spiritual"; "spiritual leaders"; "spiritual songs"

having or showing belief in and reverence for a deity; "a religious man"; "religious attitude"

extremely scrupulous and conscientious; "religious in observing the rules of health"

The term is of course well known as referring to anything that has to do with religion. In Catholic usage, it also refers to a person living according to a Rule (Latin: regula), that is a person belonging to a Catholic order. See also secular priest. It includes priests, lay brothers/monks and sisters/nuns.
    home.online.no/~cnyborg/glossary.html

characterized by attachment to religion; see religion
    http://www.teachingaboutreligion.org...e/glossary.htm

A technical term in the monastic world, meaning part of the monastic world.
    www.cb1.com/~john/misc/glossary.html

A "religious" is a priest, brother or sister who is a professed member of a religious order. They live according to the rule of their order. In pastoral ministry, they are under the jurisdiction of the local bishop, as well as the superiors of their order.
    www.dsj.org/glossary.htm

pertaining to the belief in and worship of a god or gods, a specific system of belief and worship involving a code of ethics, a value orientation emphasizing spiritual peace.
    highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072527897/student_view0/glossary.html
    why because I commented about the three diffedrent versions of that post I saw?

I was saying you had way too much time because you di all the cutting and pasting of my posts. Guess I need to take clulups advice and use the damn smileys

I was joking that Tribalenvy had too much time on his hands, not you. It's facetious.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    NIH funded biomedical research is one of the best investments we can make in our society. For someone to say, we should let the private sector pay for research or I don't need to pay for research if I feel like it.... that is just plain ignorant! That is such a short sighted comment, it infuriates me when stupid people say such things.

As a biomedical researcher myself, I see firsthand the growing roles of political action groups (left or right) in our govenrment who feel the need to manipulate research funding to suit their own idealology or shortsighted vision of priorities. There is an excellent system in place called peer scientific review. It is one of the best things we have going in science, and is a major reason for our current advances. There is no need to change it!

I am stupid, ignorant and short sighted all in one post.. Whoooohhooooo!
    — Ed Howdershelt
  13.    #133  
    I am stupid, ignorant and short sighted all in one post.. Whoooohhooooo!
    You are, but I am trying to help you!

I'll admit to being obnoxious, but you hit a sore spot with me. As part of the biomedical research effort in the US, I take pride in it and I let my emotions go.

But the scientific review process IS something that needs to be administered by scientists not politicians or their interest groups. And everyone in our society benefits greatly from biomedical research, so it is impossible for someone to say I don't use it, therefore I don't need to pay for it.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 08/22/2004 at 05:59 PM.
    Woof?

:crickets:
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    You are, but I am trying to help you!

I'll admit to being obnoxious, but you hit a sore spot with me. As part of the biomedical research effort in the US, I take pride in it and I let my emotions go.

But the scientific review process IS something that needs to be administered by scientists not politicians or their interest groups. And everyone in our society benefits greatly from biomedical research, so it is impossible for someone to say I don't use it, therefore I don't need to pay for it.
    Never said this "I don't use it, therefore I don't need to pay for it."

Dont really like being called stupid either, nor do I appreciate the "I am trying to help you" statement. Talk about acting superior.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Woof?

:crickets:
    I am here. Had to help a friend with something.

No I dont think Roe v Wade should be overturned. As far as when bc fails. People CHOOSE to have sex so they should be prepared to deal with the consequences and it has never been kept a secret that bc isnt 100% effective. Getting an abortion for that reason is no different then not using any bc and then getting an abortion. IMO.

As far as religious, no I am not. Spiritual maybe, but religious no. It is my humble opinion that religion is a poison on society. But that is another thread altogether.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    I am here. Had to help a friend with something.

No I dont think Roe v Wade should be overturned. As far as when bc fails. People CHOOSE to have sex so they should be prepared to deal with the consequences and it has never been kept a secret that bc isnt 100% effective. Getting an abortion for that reason is no different then not using any bc and then getting an abortion. IMO.

As far as religious, no I am not. Spiritual maybe, but religious no. It is my humble opinion that religion is a poison on society. But that is another thread altogether.
    Thanks for the response. Do you believe abortion is OK when it is a case of rape or incest?
    absolutely. No better reason for it IMO.
    — Ed Howdershelt
    I just have to say that my Dad served his WHOLE life (WWII, KOREA AND VIETNAM) and he never documented his combat experiences on film (although he could have - especially in Korea, and moreso in Vietnam).

After having known other military brats MY entire life, I do not recall EVER having one tell me that their Dad brought home pics or video.

JUST THE OPPOSITE!

To a man, the standard (often frustrating) way true military men act is to NOT TALK ABOUT COMBAT at all. Even when I would beg for my father to tell me what he had experienced (and Kerry's three Purple Heats PALE to the decorations my dad received) he NEVER told me - nor my MOM who was married to him almost 50 years.

In fact, none of the hero's of the Greatest Generation - or even my big brother (who can be a real self-serving, egotistical JERK) who went to Nam, EVER talk (let alone BRAG) about the HORRORS of war or their immediate involement in it. When my Dad died, we found a commendation he got for saving men due to his unselfish actions to put himself in harms way to save his men. We never knew.

I remember Daddy screaming in his sleep - having a war nightmare - it was always the same..."you son of a *****, you son of a *****" and Mom would wake him - and he would never tell us what it was all about. I'm 46 now - and this went on every few weeks ALL MY LIFE.

I can only suspect that an individual who had political aspirations from a VERY young age, who apparently had a plan and an agenda,,,and who took a camera AND VIDEO'd his exploits (re-staged or not) is not a hero in the same sense that the 1000's of Daddy's (and a few Moms) I've met who served in war and peace with my Father - let alone the other's I never met becaused they died for my freedom and yours.

In fact, the most heroic act Kerry has performed in my estimation is staying with that lunatic wife of his. I guess we all have our price -

We are using Hunt's at my house.

There is not enough Heinz Katsup in the world to make me swallow this "load-of-corn".
    Hitting 'Em Hard, Long and Straight
    In fact, the most heroic act Kerry has performed in my estimation is staying with that lunatic wife of his. I guess we all have our price -
    Is she a lunatic? I hadn't noticed that about her.
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast