Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 419
  1.    #101  
    Sure we will have access, but as US biomedicine accounts for more than half of the total world disease fighting effort, if the US could participate, we would have our cures faster.
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Besides you are fun to get riled up.
    LOL - you'll have to try a little harder than that if you want to get me riled up.

    You're a waste of bandwidth. There is no sense in trying to debate a troll. I'll be sure to ignore every post you make. And I advise the same for everyone else. You''ve got no credibility in my eyes.
    www.bubblespeed.com
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by DJOrient
    You're a waste of bandwidth. There is no sense in trying to debate a troll.
    DJOrient, he's not a troll. That's the most frightening thing.
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    ever heard of abortion?
    Woof, I am sure you know a lot about insurance policies. Before you go on discussing stem cell research, you should take a short break and read about human development and the basics of the technology. You obviously have no idea.

    For instance, you have constantly used the term "fetus" - a fetus is a developing organism in the later stage of development when the tissues have differentiated into organs - there is NO connection between fetus and stem cell research. The stem cells you mean are collected from early stage embryos grown in a Petri dish, an aggregation of human cells resulting from a fertilized egg cell.

    You mention abortion in your post above - there is no connection between abortion and stem cell research. There may be a connection between stem cell research and in vitro fertilization, which is more like the contrary of abortion. There are other sources of stem cells which have nothing to do with embryos.

    It is kind of sad to see how vigorously you condemn certain views and attack people, without really knowing what you are talking about.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Woof, I am sure you know a lot about insurance policies. Before you go on discussing stem cell research, you should take a short break and read about human development and the basics of the technology. You obviously have no idea.

    For instance, you have constantly used the term "fetus" - a fetus is a developing organism in the later stage of development when the tissues have differentiated into organs - there is NO connection between fetus and stem cell research. The stem cells you mean are collected from early stage embryos grown in a Petri dish, an aggregation of human cells resulting from a fertilized egg cell.

    You mention abortion in your post above - there is no connection between abortion and stem cell research. There may be a connection between stem cell research and in vitro fertilization, which is more like the contrary of abortion. There are other sources of stem cells which have nothing to do with embryos.

    It is kind of sad to see how vigorously you condemn certain views and attack people, without really knowing what you are talking about.
    Well spoken. Bravo.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Woof, I am sure you know a lot about insurance policies. Before you go on discussing stem cell research, you should take a short break and read about human development and the basics of the technology. You obviously have no idea.

    For instance, you have constantly used the term "fetus" - a fetus is a developing organism in the later stage of development when the tissues have differentiated into organs - there is NO connection between fetus and stem cell research. The stem cells you mean are collected from early stage embryos grown in a Petri dish, an aggregation of human cells resulting from a fertilized egg cell.

    You mention abortion in your post above - there is no connection between abortion and stem cell research. There may be a connection between stem cell research and in vitro fertilization, which is more like the contrary of abortion. There are other sources of stem cells which have nothing to do with embryos.

    It is kind of sad to see how vigorously you condemn certain views and attack people, without really knowing what you are talking about.

    Well thanks old buddy, I appreciate the information.

    Read your fine link. Still dont think the government should fund everything. The money comes from taxes not a bottomless pit and I play plenty of taxes. If people want funding, donate your money to the causes you support or have a fundraiser. I do it all the time. Dont force people to participate.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  7. #107  
    From clulup's link.

    Although believed to have the largest medical potential, they are also the most controversial type of stem cells, because their utilization involves the destruction of human embryos. Some people believe that these embryos are human beings, and therefore destroying them for any reason is effectively murder. This belief is also the basis for the "Pro-life" opposition to abortion. On the other side of the debate, some claim that human embryos only contain a few tens of cells and "the smallest insect is far more human in every respect except potential" [1] (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...641157,00.html). Some scientists also defend the use of embryos, citing the medical benefits that may one day be possible to achieve with them and the fact that many would have been destroyed, regardless. Pro-life groups respond that it would be possible to achieve the same benefits from the use of adult stem cells—although some scientists have placed greater hope in embryonic stem cell research instead.

    Another controversy in the use of embryonic stem cells is the use of therapeutic cloning. This involves the cloning of early embryos from which stem cells are harvested, providing a larger source of the cells. Some see this as leading to reproductive human cloning, which they think is dangerous and unethical, and some believe any form of cloning is morally wrong.


    It states right in the explanation why this is controversial. I am not basing my objections on this point however, although I debated kitty from that position. I apologize. My issue is the ever continuous push of the liberal left to have government fund EVERYTHING. As I said before, federal funding comes from everyone and not everyone wants everything funded. Thats why private funding is available too. Until everyone agrees or the majority does, there should not be fed funding for items such as this. Liberals are always complaining corporate America has too much money. Go ask them for funding.

    I'd also likre to point out that this statement,some scientists have placed greater hope in embryonic stem cell research is no reason to suddenly write a blank check from the government account.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    From clulup's link.

    Although believed to have the largest medical potential, they are also the most controversial type of stem cells, because their utilization involves the destruction of human embryos. Some people believe that these embryos are human beings, and therefore destroying them for any reason is effectively murder. This belief is also the basis for the "Pro-life" opposition to abortion. On the other side of the debate, some claim that human embryos only contain a few tens of cells and "the smallest insect is far more human in every respect except potential" [1] (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...641157,00.html). Some scientists also defend the use of embryos, citing the medical benefits that may one day be possible to achieve with them and the fact that many would have been destroyed, regardless. Pro-life groups respond that it would be possible to achieve the same benefits from the use of adult stem cells—although some scientists have placed greater hope in embryonic stem cell research instead.

    Another controversy in the use of embryonic stem cells is the use of therapeutic cloning. This involves the cloning of early embryos from which stem cells are harvested, providing a larger source of the cells. Some see this as leading to reproductive human cloning, which they think is dangerous and unethical, and some believe any form of cloning is morally wrong.


    It states right in the explanation why this is controversial. I am not basing my objections on this point however, although I debated kitty from that position. I apologize. My issue is the ever continuous push of the liberal left to have government fund EVERYTHING. As I said before, federal funding comes from everyone and not everyone wants everything funded. Thats why private funding is available too. Until everyone agrees or the majority does, there should not be fed funding for items such as this. Liberals are always complaining corporate America has too much money. Go ask them for funding.

    I'd also likre to point out that this statement,some scientists have placed greater hope in embryonic stem cell research is no reason to suddenly write a blank check from the government account.
    With all due respect, I'm confused, woof. Are you opposed to government FUNDING of stem cell research or are you opposed to stem cell research itself on religious/moral grounds? Or both? You seem to contradict yourself.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    From clulup's link.

    Although believed to have the largest medical potential, they are also the most controversial type of stem cells, because their utilization involves the destruction of human embryos. Some people believe that these embryos are human beings, and therefore destroying them for any reason is effectively murder. This belief is also the basis for the "Pro-life" opposition to abortion. On the other side of the debate, some claim that human embryos only contain a few tens of cells and "the smallest insect is far more human in every respect except potential" [1] (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...641157,00.html). Some scientists also defend the use of embryos, citing the medical benefits that may one day be possible to achieve with them and the fact that many would have been destroyed, regardless. Pro-life groups respond that it would be possible to achieve the same benefits from the use of adult stem cells—although some scientists have placed greater hope in embryonic stem cell research instead.

    Another controversy in the use of embryonic stem cells is the use of therapeutic cloning. This involves the cloning of early embryos from which stem cells are harvested, providing a larger source of the cells. Some see this as leading to reproductive human cloning, which they think is dangerous and unethical, and some believe any form of cloning is morally wrong.


    It states right in the explanation why this is controversial. I am not basing my objections on this point however, although I debated kitty from that position. I apologize. My issue is the ever continuous push of the liberal left to have government fund EVERYTHING. As I said before, federal funding comes from everyone and not everyone wants everything funded. Thats why private funding is available too. Until everyone agrees or the majority does, there should not be fed funding for items such as this. Liberals are always complaining corporate America has too much money. Go ask them for funding.

    I'd also likre to point out that this statement,some scientists have placed greater hope in embryonic stem cell research is no reason to suddenly write a blank check from the government account.
    It is my understanding that no one is asking for a blank check, and this is not a strictly partisan issue. There are democrats and republicans alike for and against this issue. Why do you say that liberals are always complaining corporate America has too much money? Is this because of corporate welfare? Where is your outcry there? Where else do you propose we cut back? Let the corporations fund our military? This research has the potential to save the lives of many americans who pay taxes as well as their loved ones. I'm all for saving money too, but this research has incredible potential for our country. Our government invests in this type of technology because of the potential for results. You are using as a form of communication the internet after all. Was that formed and funded by corporate America? How else would we be having this debate today?
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    .... Let the corporations fund our military?
    This is just a stupid question. The government of this country was created in part to defend its people from outside attack.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  11. #111  
    Yes, Woof, I think it was a dumb question, now go back and read some of yours -and your assertions.
  12. #112  
    Latest survey shows 1/2 of republicans support stem cell research, Woof. 2/3 of all americans ...now what were you saying about, "Until everyone agrees or the majority does, there should not be fed funding for items such as this."

    Yes, there is a link. I'll provide it if needed, but as you don't want to spend "all weekend" gathering links, I'm not sure why I should.
  13. #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    With all due respect, I'm confused, woof. Are you opposed to government FUNDING of stem cell research or are you opposed to stem cell research itself on religious/moral grounds? Or both? You seem to contradict yourself.

    I am opposed to gov't funding because people who through the phrase "gov't funding" about with such abandon seem to forget that the funds come from taxpayers. The dont mniraculously appear. They are TAKEN from the population of our country when those people may want their money for their own needs. If people WANT to fund research let them, dont force them.

    I am not opposed to stem cell research on religious or moral grounds. I just question why we cant look into research in the areas that dont present such controversy (i.e. adult and cord blood stem cells) Eliminate them first. Who knows maybe we'll find what we're looking for there . Some scientists with hope isnt justification IMO.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    With all due respect, I'm confused, woof. Are you opposed to government FUNDING of stem cell research or are you opposed to stem cell research itself on religious/moral grounds? Or both? You seem to contradict yourself.
    I think it is fair to say that Woof will shoot at everything that faintly resembles a liberal influence or a liberal idea, irrespective of religious, moral, economic or political origin.

    I have to add that there was one instance so far when we were on the same side, that was when we were debating the question whether the display of Janet Jacksons breast may have had a lasting damaging effect on the wellbeing of children, whether the government should take action against such things, and whether this incident could be taken as proof that the end was near.
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=323896

    Woof, one more thing: If you mean to be ironic or if you want to make fun, add a smiley. Smilies may look silly, but they help to get through how you mean it.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    Latest survey shows 1/2 of republicans support stem cell research, Woof. 2/3 of all americans ...now what were you saying about, "Until everyone agrees or the majority does, there should not be fed funding for items such as this."

    Yes, there is a link. I'll provide it if needed, but as you don't want to spend "all weekend" gathering links, I'm not sure why I should.

    Your survey, does it say they support stem cell research, all types of stem cell research, govt funding of stem cell research or what. The survey means nothing unless you give the particulars.

    I wasnt the one demanding links to back up what is said.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    I am not opposed to stem cell research on religious or moral grounds.
    Woof, again, perhaps I am thick as a plank, but you appear to be contradicting yourself. I am just trying to gain a better understanding of your views on this, because you seem to feel very strongly about them:

    (Excerpts from your posts on this subject in this thread):




    Of course I can only assume from your comments that you are a strong supporter of stem cell research without limits. Would you care to impregnate your wife and then donate your unborn offspring for the sake of that research? If no, please tell me why not.
    and just where do you suppose these fetuses will come from? The fetus fairy? Do you think that stem cells grow on trees? Or maybe there is a program where fetuses can voluntarily donate some of their stem cells. (link please)
    ever heard of abortion?
    why not explore research other than with embryos? Has that been proven to be any better than the other methods?
    Would you give up your unborn child to save your parent if it was proven that embryonic stems cells could cure alzheimers?
    Sorry sweetie that wasnt the question. Please try again. Unless of course by storage, you mean your womb. But I think that is not what you are saying.
    I agree Chick. And I also agree with being sensible and cautious, an not running willy nilly into all sorts of possible ethical mud, just because someone died. Everyone dies and lots of people do it every day.
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    Yes, Woof, I think it was a dumb question, now go back and read some of yours -and your assertions.

    Wow I feel so much better. Now that I reread my posts and I still think your question about the military was stupid.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  18. #118  
    here's one link, read it for yourself, Woof.

    http://my.webmd.com/content/article/...?printing=true
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Wow I feel so much better. Now that I reread my posts and I still think your question about the military was stupid.
    That's sweet, Woof I guess you didn't put nearly as much thought into what you've written. You just throw around the liberal term when evidence is brought to the contrary, and refuse to debate the information presented.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    Woof, again, perhaps I am thick as a plank, but you appear to be contradicting yourself. I am just trying to gain a better understanding of your views on this, because you seem to feel very strongly about them:

    (Excerpts from your posts on this subject in this thread):
    Too much time on your hands.
    None of my statements said anything about religion or morality did they?

    Perhaps I am the plank. I didnt say I was opposed to abortion, didnt say I was prolife, didnt say I was religious. I was jsut asking questions.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson

Posting Permissions