Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec
    Well, it's far from over, right? I think the debates are going to get fairly interesting. If Kerry doesn't slam dunk Bush there, he's going to have a really tough time winning.
    While I want Bush to be the perceived winner of the debates, I think he will have a hard time at lowering expectations of his debating skills like he did against Gore. The way it was spun against Gore (thank you Karl Rove), Bush wouldn't stand a chance against Gore in the debates. However, Bush far exceeded the (rock bottom) expectations and came out on top based upon people's perceptions.

That trick only works once.

However, the Saturday Night Live debate skits were priceless.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    The only achievement of Bush (with the exception of Afghanistan) I can see is that he painted that target in more vivid colours, so that even more people feel like striking
    The terrorist's target painted on the Word Trade Center was "vivid", if you ask me. Since 9/11, how many terrorist attackes have taken place on US soil? Zero. While you may not like Bush, that statistic is a remarkable achievement.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oops
    I just wish the elections would be more civilized. But no such treat for the American people. Negative (at times nasty!) campaign slogans do turn off voters. For me this whole episode is becoming sickening. I had enough of it. I want to hear what the candidates have to say about ISSUES.
    Actually, history shows negative campaigning works. If it didn't, both parties would stop. At least polititians aren't shooting each other now like they did in years past.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT

please explain the joke..I dont get it..
    His campaign got John Kerry confused with Bob Kerrey in a brief piece on their website. Kinda funny. http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2...17/90351.shtml
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    Doesnt that make you wonder? why are people to taking that attitude?
    Really, I don't understand the level of some people's hatred against Bush. It far outshadows the hatred other people had against Clinton. I hope the cycle doesn't continue in the future, regardless of the president.

please explain the [Bob] joke..I dont get it..
    In trying to support John Kerry's foreign policy experience, Kerry's campaign claimed on its website, 'John Kerry served on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence for 8 years and is the former Vice Chairman of the Committee.'

Fact is John Kerry has never – ever! – served as vice chairman of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence." That post was held by Bob Kerry from Nebraska. The DNC later corrected their website.

It's pretty funny that John Kerry thought his name was Bob.
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    The terrorist's target painted on the Word Trade Center was "vivid", if you ask me. Since 9/11, how many terrorist attackes have taken place on US soil? Zero. While you may not like Bush, that statistic is a remarkable achievement.
    That is true, even if partly this is only so because US citizens in Iraq are a more easy target for Al Qaida now. And it is not that there are no US victims of terrorists there, military or civilian...
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Since 9/11, how many terrorist attackes have taken place on US soil? Zero. While you may not like Bush, that statistic is a remarkable achievement.
    If there was a terrorist attack between now and the election, would this be in favour of Bush or in favour of Kerry, what do you think? I guess in favour of Bush, even though it would ruin the statistics you brought up.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    In trying to support John Kerry's foreign policy experience, Kerry's campaign claimed on its website, 'John Kerry served on the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence for 8 years and is the former Vice Chairman of the Committee.'
    John Kerry thought his name was Bob.
    As you pointed out earlier in your post, the last sentence in your post is wrong. John Kerry never said that (as to his thoughts, you and I have no clue). It was his campaign.
    It's been nearly 3 years hasn't it? How many attacks took place on US soil in the three years prior? I don't think it's a 'remarkable' achievement at all. I would have been more impressed if the level of attacks worldwide had gone down, but they've gone up instead.
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    I would have been more impressed if the level of attacks worldwide had gone down, but they've gone up instead.
    Take Madrid for instance. Would that have happened without the war in Iraq? 200 dead, 1400 wounded.
    If there was a terrorist attack between now and the election, would this be in favour of Bush or in favour of Kerry, what do you think? I guess in favour of Bush, even though it would ruin the statistics you brought up.
    When I wrote that post, I wanted to "knock on wood", because I hope it doesn't happen. I agree with you that a major attack in the US would increase Bush's election chances. Unlike Madrid, the terrorists would be stupid to think an attack against the US would help defeat Bush.
    This is flawed logic. Read the 9/11 reports. As far as I'm concerned, the 9/11 attack could have been prevented altogether. Bush and Co. made a decision to ignore repeated warnings about terrorist activity in this country. The Administration would love to remind us about how "remarkable" it is that there have been no more attacks-while they whittle away at people's civil rights and use fear and paranoia to control us. How about that upgraded terror alert right after the Democratic convention? (Based on FOUR YEAR OLD intelligence, I might add..) Even my 90 year old neighbor saw through that.
    Take Madrid for instance. Would that have happened without the war in Iraq? 200 dead, 1400 wounded.
    That begs the question of whether the US is safer following the war in Iraq. I believe the US is safer. Prime example is from Russian president Putin:

"I can confirm that after the events of September 11, 2001, and up to the military operation in Iraq, Russian special services and Russian intelligence several times received ... information that official organs of Saddam's regime were preparing terrorist acts on the territory of the United States and beyond its borders, at U.S. military and civilian locations," Putin said.

If you were the US president, how would you have acted on this information? Our president acted to protect the US.
    When I wrote that post, I wanted to "knock on wood", because I hope it doesn't happen. I agree with you that a major attack in the US would increase Bush's election chances. Unlike Madrid, the terrorists would be stupid to think an attack against the US would help defeat Bush.
    It could go either way at this point. There are also many people who are so distrusting and disgusted with this Administration that they might think the origins and timing of such an attack are dubious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    This is flawed logic. Read the 9/11 reports. As far as I'm concerned, the 9/11 attack could have been prevented altogether. Bush and Co. made a decision to ignore repeated warnings about terrorist activity in this country. The Administration would love to remind us about how "remarkable" it is that there have been no more attacks-while they whittle away at people's civil rights and use fear and paranoia to control us. How about that upgraded terror alert right after the Democratic convention? (Based on FOUR YEAR OLD intelligence, I might add..) Even my 90 year old neighbor saw through that.
    Come on, have you REALLY read the 9/11 reports, or just the DNC talking points?

Also, name a single civil right which as been "whittled away" against you? I doubt you, or anyone else here, could name a single one. Anyone? Anyone? Buhler?

Also, you ignore the facts if you think the terror alert was only based upon older intelligence.
    Come on, have you REALLY read the 9/11 reports, or just the DNC talking points?

Also, name a single civil right which as been "whittled away" against you? I doubt you, or anyone else here, could name a single one. Anyone? Anyone? Buhler?

Also, you ignore the facts if you think the terror alert was only based upon older intelligence.
    Yes, I have read them. In detail. Have you?

How about the no-fly lists? How would you feel if your name showed up on one for no good reason and you couldn't get it removed? Two senators had it happen and it took MONTHS for them to resolve.

The intelligence WAS old.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news...top_world_news

U.S. Terror Alert Was Based on Old Intelligence, NYT Reports

Aug. 3 (Bloomberg) -- Much of the information that led the U.S. on Sunday to raise the alert of a possible terror attack in New York and Washington was three to four years old, the New York Times said, citing unidentified government officials.

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge raised the terror alert to ``orange,'' the second highest level, for financial institutions in Washington, New York City and northern New Jersey. Ridge cited intelligence on al-Qaeda plans to set off bombs at sites including the New York Stock Exchange, Citigroup Inc. and the International Monetary Fund.

No evidence has been found that a terrorist plot or preparatory surveillance are still under way, the paper said. The intelligence showed al-Qaeda had conducted reconnaissance of the intended targets, a step that it has taken in the past some years before carrying out attacks, the paper said.

Officials are still analyzing computer records, photos, drawings and other papers seized in Pakistan a month ago, the paper said. Combined with more recent intelligence, the documents show that the al-Qaeda network remains active and intent on attacking the U.S., the paper cited an American official as saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    It's been nearly 3 years hasn't it? How many attacks took place on US soil in the three years prior? I don't think it's a 'remarkable' achievement at all. I would have been more impressed if the level of attacks worldwide had gone down, but they've gone up instead.
    Actually, over here we were all expecting, and the terrorists (including Osama) were all predicting, repeated attacks on US soil. Whether the credit belongs to Bush, foreign governments, US law enforcement, or someone else, it is a great feat that the additional attackes have been avoided.
    It could go either way at this point. There are also many people who are so distrusting and disgusted with this Administration that they might think the origins and timing of such an attack are dubious.
    That may be true that people might think that. And that's pretty stupid and sad they would carry their political hatred that far. That attitude (not yours) reveals far more about the haters than about Bush.
    That may be true that people might think that. And that's pretty stupid and sad they would carry their political hatred that far. That attitude (not yours) reveals far more about the haters than about Bush.
    I don't know that it's so related to hate as it is to plain lack of faith and distrust. That's the sad part.
    I don't know that it's so related to hate as it is to plain lack of faith and distrust. That's the sad part.
    I've heard and seen in writing an awful lot of people saying they hate Bush. Many times in the Off Topic area. Why say hate if you actually mean lack of faith and distrust?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson