Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141520 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    But regardless of the vietnam issue (which was never a big thing to me anyway) I believe Kerry is the lesser evil...
    for one thing I like his approach on foreign affairs (what was the slogan? 'respected internationally'?) and his healthcare plans..
    Besides that I trust him more than Bush (gut feeling no hard proof)

You have just described the typical Kerry supporter. "Anyone But Bush! - he lied!" Whatever.

Frankly, I don't want a president whose main foreign policy goal is to be "respected internationally". I want a president who puts his own country first, and doesn't change his opinion every other day.

I also want a president who knows his name is not "Bob".
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    You have just described the typical Kerry supporter. "Anyone But Bush! - he lied!" Whatever.

Frankly, I don't want a president whose main foreign policy goal is to be "respected internationally". I want a president who puts his own country first, and doesn't change his opinion every other day.

I also want a president who knows his name is not "Bob".

LOL, I love the Bob thing. Very Funny.

The "respected internationally" thing scares me too. What does that mean exactly. That we promise not to do anything until everyone else says it's ok? Thats a load of complete BS. We'llhave our hands tied behind our back forever. And then how much respect will we have.

"look at the pussie Americans, they cant do anything without popular approval, what a bunch of wimps"

Ya I want that..NOT!
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Wow, this thread really took off again while I was away. It's a pretty good bet everyone here will be voting, eh?

The conversation has moved away from stem cell research...I provided that link without editorial as the intent was for people to read it themselves and discuss, not spoonfeed my interpretation of it. Ah well. I hope the day finds everyone well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    Wow, this thread really took off again while I was away. It's a pretty good bet everyone here will be voting, eh?
    I vote all the time, not in the US though, but in Switzerland.

We have to take care of the course of the government every three or four months, apart from elections (parliaments) every four years.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    LOL, I love the Bob thing. Very Funny.

The "respected internationally" thing scares me too. What does that mean exactly. That we promise not to do anything until everyone else says it's ok? Thats a load of complete BS. We'llhave our hands tied behind our back forever. And then how much respect will we have.

"look at the pussie Americans, they cant do anything without popular approval, what a bunch of wimps"

Ya I want that..NOT!
    In my eyes "respected internationally" means taking the lead on issues and driving international opinion - not pandering to it.
    So you're afraid of being labelled 'pussies'? Erm, how does 'inferiority complex' grab you?
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    I vote all the time, not in the US though, but in Switzerland.

We have to take care of the course of the government every three or four months, apart from elections (parliaments) every four years.
    You're right, clulup. My thought behind that statement was the lack of voters using their voice in the US. Far too many Americans choose not to vote in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    Far too many Americans choose not to vote in my opinion.
    Agreed. However, those people who don't educate themselves on the issues and candidates shouldn't be voting anyway. Their ignorance makes our votes count more.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  8.    #188  
    and now Cellmatrix is reluctant to respond at all.
    Woof, I am sorry if I offended you. I really did not mean any disrespect. The comment by the moderator really made me think why am I arguing with you? I really can't change your views, and you can't change mine. It just seems futile, and it certainly is not fun for me. With no ill feelings, I think it is best that I move on and let you carry the torch here on political discussions. This is a great forum, and best wishes to all.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    Obviously as a European the major way I perceive the US is through your foreign policy, under Bush it stinks. For that reason I'd rather see Kerry in the White House, but it isn't my really call, so I'm staying out of this argument.
    If the target were painted squarely on your back, you might think differently. I would bet that I admire President Bush for the very reasons you thnk he stinks. What is really unfortunate in my mind is that too many folks in my country worry far too much about how you in other countries feel about us. I think this is the result our repulsion from the "Ugly American" face we painted on ourselves in the 60s.

In a perfect world, everyone would love us. We are a people who want to be liked and care about what others think of us. We fell out of grace as the "ugly american" in the 60s and have as a people been trying for decades to dig ourselves out of that hole.

It is far from a perfect world, however, and sometimes it is necessary to take actions that others will not like. President Bush has a responsiblilty to do whatever it takes to protect the citizens of the United States and I admire him for taking that action knowing full well that it would not be popular with our freinds abroad. I think that even some of his strongest critics today, given the same circumstances that faced President Bush after 9/11, would have at least conidered if not taken the same actions that GW did. Hindsight is sure 20/20.

Only time will tell if we did the right things. I am sure it will be a mixed bag in the history books, but doing nothing sure wasn't solving the problem.

BTW, I for one appreciate your government's support during these dificult times. You may not agree with that support but I thank you for being there anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Woof, I am sorry if I offended you. I really did not mean any disrespect. The comment by the moderator really made me think why am I arguing with you? I really can't change your views, and you can't change mine. It just seems futile, and it certainly is not fun for me. With no ill feelings, I think it is best that I move on and let you carry the torch here on political discussions. This is a great forum, and best wishes to all.
    I was never trying to change your mind. I was trying to get information about your position (thus the questions) and to try to get you to see that there is another point of view.

For what it's worth, I agree medical research is a must. The question is do we set aside common sense, morality, ethics and peoples right to decide how they spend their money in the name of research? My answer to that is no.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I for one consider America lucky that you will not be voting.
    Is that kind of nasty comment really necessary? Does it add anything to the issues you're trying to argue? I think not. It only makes you look ignorant and mean. Perhaps you should rethink it. John has argued his views intelligently and with logic, and has not attacked others. Why can't you do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    The only direct link to Bush's aptitude test I found is this. There are many sources that quote the results: "Bush was accepted for pilot training after having scored only 25 percent on the pilot's aptitude test, the lowest acceptable grade"
    Hmmmm. Doesn't that say the "the lowest possible ACCEPTABLE score". Looks to me like he qualified, don't see anything that says he needed help from his father to get in. By the way, I took similar aptitude tests when I entered the Navy. I didn't do too well in the Pilot scores either and I was already a pilot when I applied. These tests are like placement tests they do not they do not reflect on ones intelligence. Not everyone is cut out to be a fighter pilot.

Thanks for the links.
    Another perspective on Kerry's "record".

http://www.nationalreview.com/owens/...0408230833.asp
    Took the words right out of my mouth. I wish I could have expressed myself as well.

The lengthy transcript of what John Kerry said is interesting. When you read it, take note that a lot of what Kerry said back then had merit. He went way overboard, however, and I think he showed a truly worrisome lack of judgement and disregard for the shipmates he left behind. His record as a Senator with regard to defense and our dealings with Vietnam in the 90s worry me today in the same way he did back in the 70s.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    Is that kind of nasty comment really necessary? Does it add anything to the issues you're trying to argue? I think not. It only makes you look ignorant and mean. Perhaps you should rethink it. John has argued his views intelligently and with logic, and has not attacked others. Why can't you do that?
    That was a nasty comment? Sheesh are you sensitive. This is a place for opinions. In my opinion one less vote for The Grandstander is a good thing. All I said was I am glad another Bush basher has no say in the election. What was mean about that? I didnt call him ignorant or mean (like you have me). I didnt imply that he was not intelligent or illogical (like you have me). I made a simple statement.

And I'll make it again. I for one am glad that PeterBrown, Clulup, Toolkit are not voting in our election. I didnt say that their opinions mean nothing because they arent americans. Now that would have been mean and nasty. I appreciate their opinions, even though I disgree most of the time. There are all good guys and I enjoy their contributions to the debate. Again however I am glad they are not voting in our election.

Kitty since you feel john does a better job of posting than me, maybe you could ask him to write mine for me and email em over. I think john does a great job, but guess what I am not john.

It is unrealistic of you to expect me to be.
    — Ed Howdershelt

Kitty since you feel john does a better job of posting than me, maybe you could ask him to write mine for me and email em over. I think john does a great job, but guess what I am not john.

It is unrealistic of you to expect me to be.
    I agree with you here, Woof. At this point it is unrealistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Article appeared in the Journal today.
    All they are doing is crying foul. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

Why won't they release his medical records?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbdh
    All they are doing is crying foul. "The lady doth protest too much, methinks".

Why won't they release his medical records?
    I agree, I think all records, military and medical (to DATE), for BOTH candidates should be released. That includes the "missing" records for Bush.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    I agree, I think all records, military and medical (to DATE), for BOTH candidates should be released. That includes the "missing" records for Bush.
    I agree whole heartedly.

But be honest Eurokitty, none of what is released about GW will have any affect on your opinion of him. Besides you and I both know that he did skip out on his drills for most a one year in the Gaurd. None of his National Gaurd record is commendable except that he did qualify to fly Fighters.

So why does John Kerry's record and not GW's matter to me? Because GW did not wave that flag in front of my face. GWs service in the Gaurd was presented as background or biography of the man. It was the left who, long before John Kerry ever came into the picture, made it an issue. Bush has done little to defend his service record probably because it is not defensable. But, he hasn't cried foul about it like Kerry has. In my mind, however, he has as much as conceded it.

Releasing John Kerry's medical record is important to me because I think it will provide support for our outrage over John Kerry's use of his Service as a cornerstone of his campaign. Again please note that it is not the record itself that is a problem it is his use of the record in his campaign.
    Haven't read anything in this discussion. Just want to add, I once met Kerry, his initials are jfk but no jfk. He an a**hole.