Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The Rev. Jerry Falwell will open a law school this month in hopes of training a generation of attorneys who will fight for conservative causes.

yay.
    That may be well and good, but still I fear that Jerry may now have a legal vehicle to force his religious beliefs on others.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 08/20/2004 at 05:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    That may be well and good, but still I fear that Jerry may now have a legal vehicle to force his religious beliefs on others.
    How? Will people be forced to go to this college? Will they be tortured until they accept the religious philosophy, if there is one? Will people who want an education be unable to resist the indoctrination? Will anyone who doesnt already have a religious/right leaning even try to go to this school? How will it be any different than the hundreds of left leaning school that exist already?
    Will a conservative college with no track record or history of successful graduates even appeal to anyone who isnt conservative?

Cmon cell, your fears get a little unrealistic at times. Fallwell has just as much right as anyone else to open a college. You make it sound like he will be the first to have an agenda in education. Bah!!
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I think Falwell is somewhat of a kook.

Having said that, I have been to an extremely conservative collage, and later to an extremely liberal collage. I found both schools provided me with excellent experiences, because they allowed and encouraged different viewpoints in the classroom. The different viewpoints kept the class discussions more lively, and more honest.

If Falwell wants to start his own law school, good for him.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Woof, maybe I am way off base, but there might be some type of plan here....

It is clear that the school's mission is to train lawyers who will be future lawmakers and judges who will influence future US policy.

Sure Fallwell intends them to try to promote conservative policy, that is what I am sure you are pleased with. And that is OK, it is like what Ken Starr could do at Pepperdine. Everyone is entitled to teach and learn whatever style of law they think is best as long as it does not impinge upon the rights of others.

But Fallwell also has a very clear religious agenda. I have myself heard him say in no uncertain terms that he thinks his brand of evangelical Christianity should be the official religion of the US. So if he is trying to put out a crop of lawyers to acheive this goal in the courts and in the congress, then it could interfere with the separation of church and state.

So I am all for setting up of conservative law schools, but it is just that I am wary about Fallwell and religious intolerance.
    smoke alot of pot when you were a kid? Kinda paranoid.

I think you worry too much. What other conspiracy theories are you worried about? Keeping an eye on the Trust or the Illuminati too?

What religious leader doesnt have an agenda to convert people? Any Muslim cleric has the same agenda. You gonna freak when some rich Muslim wants to open a college?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Smoking too much pot never made me paranoid
    Maths lectures didn't make much sense though...
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof

I think you worry too much. What other conspiracy theories are you worried about? Keeping an eye on the Trust or the Illuminati too?
    Woof, I appreciate your moxy, even though I am completely at the opposite spectrum of your political views, but these insults and attacks do not help you to win your arguments.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 08/21/2004 at 09:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Woof, I appreciate your moxy, even though I am completely at the opposite spectrum of your political views, but these insults and attacks do not help you to win your arguments.

Why cant anyone just answer questions?

Without intending an attack.... was told pot smoking resulkts in paranoia.
    You seem paranoid about the religious right somehow taking over the world because of a college.
    My tongue in cheek question about pot smoking was the result.

Yunno the left might have a plan too.
    — Ed Howdershelt

What religious leader doesnt have an agenda to convert people? Any Muslim cleric has the same agenda. You gonna freak when some rich Muslim wants to open a college?
    Are ad hominem attacks necessary? How about intelligent debate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurokitty
    Are ad hominem attacks necessary? How about intelligent debate?
    Do you read all the posts?

it was a joke. Familiar with the phrase tongue in cheek?

PeterBrown got it.

Is ad hominem your favorite phrase?
    — Ed Howdershelt
    I've never known anyone get paranoid off weed. And trust me, I've known a lot of people take it. I think that's just a media scare story. Acid, yes. But you really have to be on a downer to 'sledge', it's not that common.
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    I've never known anyone get paranoid off weed. And trust me, I've known a lot of people take it. I think that's just a media scare story. Acid, yes. But you really have to be on a downer to 'sledge', it's not that common.

Never made me paranoid either. Of course I never inhaled
    — Ed Howdershelt
    Why cant anyone just answer questions?

Without intending an attack.... was told pot smoking resulkts in paranoia.
    You seem paranoid about the religious right somehow taking over the world because of a college.
    My tongue in cheek question about pot smoking was the result.

Yunno the left might have a plan too.
    Woof, I thought you were calling me a delusional paranoid pot-head. If that is not what you mean, then its OK.

I still stand by what I said about Falwell, I do not trust that guy.
    Last edited by cellmatrix; 08/21/2004 at 05:33 PM.
    "The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America, I point the finger in their face and say: you helped this happen."

- Jerry Falwell 4 days after 9/11
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    The Rev. Jerry Falwell will open a law school this month in hopes of training a generation of attorneys who will fight for conservative causes.

yay.
    What's the big deal? So your gonna one conservative law school pumping out right-wing lawyers vs a 100+ liberal law schools pumping out left-wing lawyers? IMO, alls fair in love, war and politics...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    What's the big deal?
    no big deal. hence the "yay"
    yawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHAnderson
    "The abortionists have got to bear some burden for this because God will not be mocked. And when we destroy 40 million little innocent babies, we make God mad. I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People for the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America, I point the finger in their face and say: you helped this happen."

- Jerry Falwell 4 days after 9/11
    How Christian of him!
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    The Rev. Jerry Falwell will open a law school this month in hopes of training a generation of attorneys who will fight for conservative causes.yay.
    I have some problems with this statement. Attorneys, one would presume, protect the essence not the absence of the law. They stimulate the foundation of fairness and justice. Conservative lawyers (or liberals, for that matter) that function as a political vehicle in establishing "conservative causes" is absurd in the face of law. If you want people to fight for conservative causes make them believe in the causes. But attorneys need to fight for justice not political causes.
  20.    #20  
    For the record, I was quoting a news article, not making a statement of my own...........
    I tend to agree with you, muziek. Well said.
    But then again, perhaps we're lawyers with rose-colored glasses?????
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast