Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1.    #1  
    I was just reading about how people who bought Tivos 3 years ago with lifetime subscriptions are able to sell their tivos w/subscriptions on ebay and get almost 75% of their value back.

    I have owned a Treo 600 since the November release and still see it go on eBay for a bit more than I paid for it.

    It got me wondering why this is happening (is demand greater?, parts running out) ... do us early adopters come out on top?

    I just was thinking outloud, but was curious if any one else has examples of tech toys that retain their value? Or exact opposite, stuff you bought that you just couldn't unload on ebay cause something new popped up.

    -- Vikram
    Treo 600 <a href="http://vikrampant.com/treo600/">Blog/Moblog</a>
  2. #2  
    Ebay is weird, I've heard numerous stories on the MacAddict website saying that Mini iPods are selling for 3X retail price on Ebay
    garinballbarin
  3. Loondog's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by kamizuno
    Ebay is weird, I've heard numerous stories on the MacAddict website saying that Mini iPods are selling for 3X retail price on Ebay
    Mini Ipods are in really high demand right now. Especially the pink ones. Don't ask me why just pink...I can't explain it. I ordered on for my fiance last May for her birthday in June and we are still waiting for it to this day (Mid Aug). People are willing to pay much more so they won't have to wait so long.
  4. #4  
    I think the appeal of the Tivo deal is the "life-time" subscription.

    I really don't think gadgets retain their value. I've sold dozens of gadet items (PDAs, Cell Phones, MP3 players, cameras etc.) on Ebay and never got more than I paid for the item. I got close to it on a few select items but more often than not you get less than retail price which only makes sense since it's a used item being sold. The problem is as soon as something new is released the older item looses it's value. You could probably get a decent price for a Treo 600 on Ebay. But as soon as the ACE is released you probably won't get the same price.

    I beleive items which retain their value are usually things that are rare.

    As far as the mini iPod goes, I was at the Apple store at my local mall this week and was shocked to see the shelves literally over-flowing with them. I asked when they had come in and the salesperson told me last week. Seems the shortage is over in the N.Y.C. area.
  5. Loondog's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    As far as the mini iPod goes, I was at the Apple store at my local mall this week and was shocked to see the shelves literally over-flowing with them. I asked when they had come in and the salesperson told me last week. Seems the shortage is over in the N.Y.C. area.

    Where there any Pink ones?
  6. #6  
    Loondog,

    I honestly didn't pay close attention to the colors they had when I was there so I just called the store directly for ya. They have blue, sliver and PINK in stock.

    The Apple Store at the Westchester

    125 Westchester Ave
    White Plains, NY 10601
    (914) 428-1877
  7. Loondog's Avatar
    Posts
    153 Posts
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    Loondog,

    I honestly didn't pay close attention to the colors they had when I was there so I just called the store directly for ya. They have blue, sliver and PINK in stock.

    The Apple Store at the Westchester

    125 Westchester Ave
    White Plains, NY 10601
    (914) 428-1877
    Thanks LGREENBERG for checking with them.

    I gave them a call.....and......they don't ship Dough!
    he did say that shelves are starting to get stock and my reseller should get some within a couple of weeks.

    I will keep waiting
    Thanks again
  8. #8  
    No problem.

    Good luck.

Posting Permissions