Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here is another brainteaser I really like. Not half as difficult as the last one .

The story goes like this:

Three brave and intelligent indian scouts were caught by their cruel and nasty enemies. They are sentenced to death, but they have one last chance to save their lives: The three indians have to sit on the ground in a row, so that the first indian can see the the back of two in front of him, the second indian can see the back of the third in front of him, and the third indian can't see anything of the two others. Sort of like this:
    v

v

v

Then, the medicine man brings a bag containing five feathers. There are two (2) white feathers and three (3) black feathers. Each indian has to pull one feather out of the bag and stick it into his hair, without seeing the other feathers in the bag and without seeing which feather he has picked (no cheating possible). However, the first indian can now see the two feathers of his friends in front of him, the second sees the feather of the third, the third sees nothing (no cheating possible).

Now the three brave and intelligent indians face the following challenge: If one of the indians can tell which feather he (himself) has on his head (black or white), all three are free. If no one can tell or if somebody gets it wrong, all three will die a grizzly death. They have one hour sharp starting now.

The three indians sit motionless in the burning sun - total silence... The bad indians already start looking forward to killing them, when suddenly, only seconds before the hour is over, the third indian (the one sitting in front who cannot see any of the other feathers), speaks: "I know what feather I have on my head" - he tells them, he is right, they are free.

What color was it? And, since it is obviously either black or white, how did he know?

Again, no cheating possible, no tricks like mirrors or god knows what involved, no help from third parties for the three indians, etc. - have fun! If you are not sure about the solution, feel free to email me. Better than spoil it for the rest.

Any other brainteasers around?
    Last edited by clulup; 07/22/2004 at 08:13 AM.
    Nice one!
    black = 0 and white = 1
    use XOR (one or the other but not both). This should tell everyone what the other people have.
    sorry, misread problem.
    Actually, I thought it over and it seems to work because there are only two white feathers.
    This is an easy one and I'm not sure if it's been said.

What's more powerful than God,
    and more evil than the devil.
    The rich don't have it
    but the poor do.
    And if you eat it,
    you'll die.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by LordPhong
    This is an easy one and I'm not sure if it's been said.

What's more powerful than God,
    and more evil than the devil.
    The rich don't have it
    but the poor do.
    And if you eat it,
    you'll die.
    I won't tell (knew it before)... nice one though!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    Nothing?...
    Congrats, Chick-Dance! Now the other one . I put my money on you .
    I think I've got it.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    correct answer deleted per request.
    Last edited by hall316; 07/22/2004 at 04:46 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by metsfan
    I think I've got it.
    Ta-Taaaa! We have a winner! Not only did metsfan get the color right, he also offered a convincing explanation, proving his deep insight into the structure and solution of the problem. A very impressive use of logic. Metsfan, are you a woman? Just kidding, I don't want to get into a flame war about gender stereotypes, not me!

Anyway, we know now it is possible, so don't give up finding the solution. Three indians, five feathers, ...
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by hall316
    ok, the color of the feather is...
    You got it, but don't spoil it, hall316. Now be nice and edit that post, so that others can have fun, too. At least put a warning, so that nobody reads the solution accidentaly.
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    oops sorry about that.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hall316
    oops sorry about that.
    Thanks. I hope Chick-Dance hasn't seen your post so that I can still bug her about the solution.
    Three elderly ladies are going to their very first baseball game and are extremely excited about it.

Since they didn't enjoy beer, they smuggled in a bottle of Jack Daniels.

The game is very exciting (for baseball) and the ladies are enjoying themselves immensely by mixing their smuggled bottle with soft drinks. All of a sudden, one of them falls asleep.

As a new batter steps to the plate, the other two see their friend, realize there are many innings yet to play and their smuggled treasure is almost gone and become rather sedate.

So, what inning is it, what's the count and how many runners are on base?
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    So, what inning is it, what's the count and how many runners are on base?
    What's an inning, what's a count, what's a runner? Can you post the soccer version?
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    What's an inning, what's a count, what's a runner? Can you post the soccer version?
    Won't work for soccer, maybe cricket ... don't know -- will have to check on it. Any help to you?
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Is this a trick question? Baseball games can't be exciting.

(If not, I see nothing in there that can possibly help answer the question.)
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tjd414
    Won't work for soccer, maybe cricket ... don't know -- will have to check on it. Any help to you?
    Not really. The only way it makes sense to me is when the part

"As a new batter steps to the plate, the other two see their friend, realize there are many innings yet to play and their smuggled treasure is almost gone and become rather sedate" refers to the players, not to the ladies. The rest I must leave to the baseball enthusiasts....
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    It's the bottom of the fifth inning, one out, bases loaded.
    Did I cover everything?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast