1.    #1  
    Ok, this is REALLY off-topic. I was hoping someone could give me some insight into VoIP. I have a server sitting around (well, not really 'sitting around', but I got lots of bandwidth and HD room, so...), it's RH9. I was wondering if it would be possible to do a whole little VoIP thing on this server.

I hope I have the concept right. I know I need the necesary VoIP gateway software for my server to do the Voice-data-Voice translation, which I'll just call the VoIP server. But beyond this...? Each user would get a "phone adapter" of sorts, like Motorola VT 1000 (btw, could I tie it into a Partner phone system - would I have to get some sort of equipment?). I assume I would program each Motorola to connect to my VoIP server, right? Each person would also sign up for a virtual phone number. Now, how does this virtual phone number connect with the user's address - does it connect with the VoIP server, which then routes that to the actual user based on IP address? Following this structure, how does the user's end keep the IP address up to date with the server? Is that included with the VoIP server software, or will I have to use a third part, like Dyndns.org?

As you can tell I'm pretty fuzzy on this whole thing, so any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!
    Last edited by ziphem; 07/22/2004 at 02:17 AM.
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    There are many VoIP servers. I have read Walt Mossberg's article (he's my brother-in-law's guru) about Vonage and he liked it a lot. Try Vonage's site (www.vonage.com) and take it from there. Check their FAQ section.
    All the things this woman knows, isn't it amazing, mind-boggling? Seems to have some pretty cool relatives, too
    if you are looking to do a pbx type setup, then Vonage is not for you because their service is bound to either the MAC address of the VT1000 or the MAC of the PC if you sign up for a softphone

Vonage is great, I use it, but not what you want for your setup
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    check out voip-info.org

that will provide much info. Its a newer community that has grown from dissatifaction with the Vonage boards. Lots of knowledge there

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

5.    #5  
    Hey, thanks a lot for the info & link!
    <a href="http://www.terriblemovies.com">TerribleMovies.Com</a>
    sure, voiptalk.us is good too