Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.alternet.org/stories/19199/

I haven't seen the movie, but sounds promising!
    http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/...85603_foxf.htm

"The DRUDGE REPORT has learned that FOX NEWS executives are lining up a parade of employees who formerly worked at CNN & MSNBC and have been downloading information on how editorial decisions are made at these networks, including the agenda for how stories are supposed to be covered.

A senior FOX NEWS executive tells DRUDGE: "We have enough ammunition to nail both MSNBC & CNN." Sources say FOX is prepared to go public with these accounts if necessary."
  3.    #3  
    Media washing their dirty linen in public? Could be 'entertaining'!
    Thanks for the article zackz! It is hardly a secret, of course, that Rupert Murdoch wanted to create a "24/7 commercial for the conservatives and the Republican Party" via TV network. With a so-called big star Bill O'Reilly we witness daily that Fox is indeed a "propaganda machine." Unfortunately Fox News is more about that than reporting information.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    And what do you consider NBC/CBS and ABC? At least Fox is honest about it and puts it forth in their commentary programs. The other three call it news when it is nothing more than propaganda. Listen to the Today Show, 60 minutes, et cetera. Strictly one sided. If they had to ask any difficult questions, it would be a day to remember. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    And what do you consider NBC/CBS and ABC? At least Fox is honest about it and puts it forth in their commentary programs. The other three call it news when it is nothing more than propaganda. Listen to the Today Show, 60 minutes, et cetera. Strictly one sided. If they had to ask any difficult questions, it would be a day to remember. Ben
    They are? That's why it's called "Fair and Balanced", and the "No Spin Zone"?

I'm not saying the other stations aren't just as biased, I'm just saying that Fox certainly tries to represent itself as an "unbiased" news organization.

Honestly, I get all my news from a fairly biased (and liberal) source: The Daily Show. At least they make it painfully obvious when they're lying.

(OK, so that's the only news I watch on TV. I get most of my news from Google News)

Really, the problem isn't just Fox, it's the media and media consolidation in general, and the FCC not doing anything to stop it.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    They are? That's why it's called "Fair and Balanced", and the "No Spin Zone"?
    None of those slogans necessarily means "unbiased". One can be biased and still be fair an balanced.

The problem with NBC/CBS and ABC and the journals is that they report the news with a veiled bias. They hide their bias by "reporting" the news. Their bias is supported in the "way" they report the news and in what and when they choose to report it. They do not present all sides of an issue, and when they do report something that goes against their bias it is often out of context. So very cleverly you only get the side they want you to hear and by repititio, true or false, it becomes fact to the listener or reader's mind. Heck, it must be true I read it in the newspaper or heard it on the news.

Now, Fox on the other hand does not "report" the news, it discusses the news. Theu make no bones about their bias. You would have to be blind and deaf not to pick up on their conservative bias within 5 mins of turning them on. They do, however, present both sides of EVERY issue. Sure the hosts of the shows push a conservative viewpoint but they almost always do so against someone, guest or otherwise, with an oppossing point of view. This is refreshing and informative especially when viewed with an open mind.

I find it interesting that when I get into a discussion with my liberal freinds, while we disagree on most issues I am, more often than not, acknowledged as being more knowlegeable of the "facts" on a subject then they are. It is clear to me that this is because they get their news strictly from the newspaper and/or the evening news. Even when they do, in my opinion, have a ligitimate position on an issue they rarely get the facts straight. Yet, I am the one that is chastised for watching Fox news. Go figure.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbdh
    None of those slogans necessarily means "unbiased". One can be biased and still be fair an balanced.
    John
    Right, OK, Fox can distort and spin spin spin to the right, and that is fair and balanced. But Moore distorts and spins to the left and it is somehow blasphemous.

No but Moore lies, whine whine................ for Fox news to say this is like the crow calling the kettle black.
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    Right, OK, Fox can distort and spin spin spin to the right, and that is fair and balanced. But Moore distorts and spins to the left and it is somehow blasphemous.

No but Moore lies, whine whine................ for Fox news to say this is like the crow calling the kettle black.
    That's not very far, as the pot flies.
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix

You missed his whole point. Fox attempts to present both sides even when they obviously disagree. Moore makes no attempt whatsoever to present both sides.

IIRC, O'Reilly had Moore on his show to talk about things but Moore certainly didn't include O'Reilly's "side" in his farce of a documentary. Point is; O'Reily gave Moore a chance to defend his views while Moore didn't give O'Reilly a chance to defend his.
    Treo 600 on T-Mobile since March 2004
    Yes, Fox does let "liberals" speak their views in a fair way. I remember when O'Reilly interviewed with Terry Gross, of NPR, about a book that he did not like. He showed the interview for a little while, then decided to cut her off when she was saying something he did not like, then he spent the last few minutes hurling insults at her, without her being able to respond.

I like Hannity and Combes too, it is pathetic how Combes just smiles and lets Hannity walk all over him. Fox lets liberals and conservatives have an "even" go at just like professional wrestling, its not real, it is just show, and it is a "fixed" fight.
    So you quote one instance when O'Reilly cut someone off and put that forth as the way they always do it. What usually happens is both sides of the issue try to out shout each other and overall end up with equal air time.

I have heard Hannity and Colmes explicity state that they have an agreement that they each get an equal number of minutes on the show which is why there are times they BOTH sit there and say nothing. Frustrating when you want "your" guy to jump on something but hey, it's fair and balanced.
    Like I said, Fox news is like professional wrestling, Fox sets up the two sides, usually, but not always, has the good (conservative) fighter win in the end, and hell, seeing people fight is entertaining. It is a great formula, but despite that it is still blatantly contrived.
    I would like to see you do the fair and balanced thing and explicitly state that CNN, MSNBC, and the Unholy Trinity (ABC, CBS, NBC) are equaly biased.

This goes to the heart of the "debate". The "left" will not even admit that their news channels are biased to the left. All they want to do is point out how Fox is biased to the right. I will freely admit that overall Fox leans to the right but I also firmly believe they do their best to present both sides. As johnbdh pointed out most of the shows on Fox are opinion shows and the times (top of the hour) when they are reporting on the Top Stories, they simply report on what is happening in the world at that particular time with no opinion and no bias involved.
    this exchange is a perfect reflection of how things really are with most liberal/conservative discussions.

The right admits they are right and yet will enter into a discussion for the sake of debating the issue and the left just throws complaints and insults about the whole mess and says the right is wrong.

dbaldon you are wasting your time with cellmatrix. He is not interested in debate. He just wishes to be correct and slam the opposing viewpoint. I am guilty of the same in past threads but have decided that the left doesnt need my help to be wrong.

I for one agree with you on you breakdown of Fox. And folks to call Oreilly a rightwing conservative is a little off. The guy is a selfdescribed independent and doesnt always take the side of the right. You need to try listening to the program once in awhile instead of just throwing sound bytes about.
    The heart of the "debate" is that the media is always introducing its bias into our news. I think it always happens, and the variable is what end of the political spectrum you lie on. If you are a staunch conservative, then Fox is giving you the exact bias what you want to hear and everyone else are misleading leftists. If you fall to the left of that political spectrum you have a different view and prefer a different bias. It is as simple as that. If you understand that it is all bias, then you yourself can decide what you want, and then you do not have to parrot back what the media tells you to say.
    Umm the whole point of opinion/editorial shows such as OReilly, Hannity & Colmes, HardBall etc is to present an opinion/bias. So citing shows such as these to show a liberal or conservative bias makes no sense.

Fox News generally has more conservative anchors,reporters and hosts.

CNN,MSNBC,NBC,ABC,CBS,CNBC,Associated Press, Reuters, NY Times et al generally
    have liberal leaning employees.

(Hey Liberals 100 to 1 isn't so bad).

So catch the news on NBC and see the same thing on ABC,CBS,CNN etc. Theres no difference, just a reguritation of AP, Reuters and Democratic talking points.

Moose, I think you're off target. I don't believe Rupert Murdoch started Fox News to be a propganda machine but was just a good businessman. He recognized the huge market potential of a news network that is not in lockstep with all the other media outlets. This decision paid off since Fox News has the highest ratings. Whether there is a liberal bias in the mainstream media is true or not, millions of people perceive it and are moving to alternative sources of news (internet, radio, Fox) in lieu of traditional outlets such as papers, nightly news etc. Rupert Murdoch just recognized this trend early on.

This same concept is evident in talk radio. Many of the stations that run Rush Limbaugh (and all the other conservative hosts for that matter) for example our owned by liberal networks (ABC for example), but Rush pulls in the money and audience. So he stays.
    you missed his whole point. Fox attempts to present both sides even when they obviously disagree. Moore makes no attempt whatsoever to present both sides.
    This is what makes discussing politcs with my liberal friends so frustrating. It seems to me that they are incapable of listening objectively to an arguement. They only respond to what stimulates their emotions, ignoring the logic of my arguement.

Logic requires that every step of a proof be based on a fact (a previously proven proof). My liberal freinds cannot stick to the steps of a proof. They jump to conclusions every step of the way often ignoring the results of earlier steps in the proof. I think this is because their points of view are, to begin with, more based on "feelings" than logic.

Perhaps it is unfair to use such a broad brush here. This is what I find with "my" liberal freinds. If I am going to be intellectually honest, however, my brush must be big enough to paint the same observation of those on the extreme right, especially the religous right.
    John, you are not alone. These are the exact same problems I have when in similar discussions.

And they always think I am the one who is nuts because I get fristrated when they wont look at facts and just keep spewing emotion.

Thats one of my favorite things about Bill O'Reilly. He looks at facts from all sides and leaves the emotion out of it. At least as I see it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    John, you are not alone. These are the exact same problems I have when in similar discussions.

And they always think I am the one who is nuts because I get fristrated when they wont look at facts and just keep spewing emotion.

Thats one of my favorite things about Bill O'Reilly. He looks at facts from all sides and leaves the emotion out of it. At least as I see it.
    The sad thing is the facts are so obvious there has to be a certain amount of emotional blinding to so blatantly ignore the Truth.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast