Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolkiT
    That is because social security in the US is a joke.. it was better named 'false sense of social security'

Maybe if you were elligible you would have changed your mind. I applaud your self suffiency. But there are times in peoples lives where they need a helping hand. And with a little boost they can be more productive and selfsufficient afterwards..
    Not disagreeing with you but I think you may have a misconception about social security in the US. I think you may be thinking of welfare. And my point was that since I was not eligible for it, why should I be paying into it?

In order to be eligible for Soc Sec not welfare I would a, have to be retired with certain conditions met or b, have lost my spouse to death with certain conditions met.

Social Security in the US was never meant to be a retirement system although that is how it is viewed by many in this country. Foolish people work their whole lives and save nothing and hope that the govt will support them in their twilight years with Social Security. I just wonder where people got the idea that it was the govt's job to provide for them at all. Uh from liberals always saying 'vote for us and we'll take care of you'.
    I think I'll work hard avoid debt and build my own retirement. That waythe only one I have to worry about taking care of me is me. For what its worth I also would rather not count on the govt for tht sort of this as they dont have a great track record and there is far too much paperwork and bS involved. Maybe things are better in Australia, but what if the govt collapses and the money dries up? then what?
    "I think I'll work hard avoid debt and build my own retirement. That waythe only one I have to worry about taking care of me is me."

Rock On Woof!! Isn't freedom beautiful.
    Well if more folks actually lived that way we'd be better off. And being overtaxed wouldnt be an issue anymore.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123