Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does anybody like brain-teasers? Here is one of my favourites:

When Albert Einstein already was quite a famous Professor in Zurich, he got on a tram with a friend of his. The conductor, who liked brain-teasers, knew Einstein and asked him the following question: "How many times per day is it possible to exchange (mentally) the hour hand and the minute hand of a clock, and again get a possible alignment of the hands (an alignment that shows a feasible position of the hands)?"
    Einstein continued his ride on the tram and the discussion with his friend, but when they got off, he gave the conductor the correct answer, also telling him he would have to wait for the proof until the next day.

So the question is: "How many times per day is it possible to exchange (mentally) the hour hand and the minute hand of a clock, and again get a possible alignment of the hands (an alignment that shows a feasible position of the hands)?"

Here a few hints:
    - No, this is not a trick question
    - It is more than 100 but less than 1000 times per day
    - You can solve it on the back of an envelope (if you look at the problem the right way), no computer or complex mathematics needed...

Looking forward to answers (or other brain-teasers), ready, steady, go...
    Heheh, I was actually thinking of this same problem the other day after looking at my clock and not knowing which hand was which! Weird. As for the answer, I'll search around the an envelope and then see what I can do.
    Yikes. This is more like a brain smasher!
    288?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Why 288? I think I've given up.
    I'm going with 288.

24 hours in a day.
    12 possible positions on clock where the minute hand and hour hand can be mistaken for each other.

24 hours X 12 Positions = 288 times in a day.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by skillllllz
    im going with 288
    Sorry pal, bad luck.
    Hmmmm... ok I gave it a bit more thought.

This is somewhat of an educated guess but is it 338 times a day?
    576?
  10.    #10  
    24 hours in a day.
    Correct

12 possible positions on clock where the minute hand and hour hand can be mistaken for each other.
    Hmmm... Why would this be so?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by kazinvan
    576?
    Sorry...
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Correct

Hmmm... Why would this be so?
    I realize now, I was wrong about that....
    Don't Know the Answer to that one but I have one for yall

There is a lady that lives on the 15th floor of an apartment building.
    Everyday she gets in the elavator and takes it down to the first floor to go to work.
    When She gets home and if it's a clear day she takes the elavator up to the 10th floor and gets off and walks up the last 5 flights of stairs to her apartment.
    If it is raining outside, she takes the elavator all the way up to the 15th floor.

now you need to figure out why she does this. you can ask me any question that i can answer with a yes or no for hints.
  14.    #14  
    Hmmmm... ok I gave it a bit more thought.

This is somewhat of an educated guess but is it 338 times a day?
    ?? Why 338?

Warning: I am going to post this on www.mytreo.net tomorrow, let's see whether that lot gets the answer faster....
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    ?? Why 338?

Warning: I am going to post this on www.mytreo.net tomorrow, let's see whether that lot gets the answer faster....
    It's really 13 because there are 13 positions. I started counting the hours from 1. Forgot about the concept of zero.
    is it 264?
    Animo et Fide
    and chucka, if it's raining & she's got her brolly then she can reach the button by using it.
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    and chucka, if it's raining & she's got her brolly then she can reach the button by using it.
    that's no fair, you already knew it then . oh well, i'm still trying to figure out the other one.
    Oops wait a sec. The first time counting around the clock there are 13 possible positions for the first hour. After that each hour has 12 possible positions.

Since the first hour is accounted for and out of the way, the remaining 11 hours can be multiplied by 12 giving us 132 positions. Add that to the 13 postions from the first hour and we get 145 positions. But this is just for a 12 hour period and there ar 24 hours in a day. So we multiply that by 2 and get 290 positions.

290 is my final answer. No more for me today. My brain hurts.
    i guess 120
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast