1.    #1  
    anyone know of a dvr without a mothlly fee? Or do all the ones with guide come with the monthly fee?

Are there any pvrs without a guide? ie you have to program it yourself?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    If you have a VAIO, there is iEPG to program Giga Pocket DVR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    anyone know of a dvr without a mothlly fee? Or do all the ones with guide come with the monthly fee?

Are there any pvrs without a guide? ie you have to program it yourself?
    MythTV is a linux one that is free.
    Snapstream is a windows based one that cost for the software but the guides are free after that

Most roll your own PVRs use a free guide system. Tivo uses the same guide but they change you for updates and other crap.

I've owned a Tivo since they came out and as the newer models and os versions come out it upsets me in the features they take out. That is why I put a mythtv box on my big screen tv since I can set the Capture quality and not have to worry about pixelation like I did on the Tivo. So for now the Tivo is in the bedroom on the smaller TV and the mythtv box is on the 57" with 0 issues.
    Dish Network's model 508 doesn't have a monthly fee, but it is about impossible to find now.

I have Dish Network's 510 model. I pay about $5.00 per month, but I don't really see the fee as a big deal, since Dish gave me the PVR for free. I see it as paying for the unit over time. Even paying $5.00 per month, I can use it for about 3 years before my monthly fees equal the costs of a new unit.

The 510 isn't perfect, but I am pretty happy with it.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Occassionally ReplayTV has a deal, where they sell a refurbished one with a lifetime subscription included.
    RCA has one its also some type of combo it plays dvds and such(there is not monthly fee for it). I saw it on homeshopping channel. I would of got one but I have a Sonic Blue RePlay TV.
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrodex
    MythTV is a linux one that is free.
    Snapstream is a windows based one that cost for the software but the guides are free after that

Most roll your own PVRs use a free guide system. Tivo uses the same guide but they change you for updates and other crap.

I've owned a Tivo since they came out and as the newer models and os versions come out it upsets me in the features they take out. That is why I put a mythtv box on my big screen tv since I can set the Capture quality and not have to worry about pixelation like I did on the Tivo. So for now the Tivo is in the bedroom on the smaller TV and the mythtv box is on the 57" with 0 issues.
    There is also SageTV (www.sage.tv) which charges for the software, but the guide is free. Unlike Snapstream (now called Beyond TV) it has multi-tuner support, multimedia support (DVD, pictures, music) and a client you can use to watch live and recorded TV programs and as well as the multi-media content on other PCs (these features for Beyond TV are still in beta testing). I use it and love it.
    Jeff