Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    3-0!

Sorry, couldn't resist
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    3-0!

Sorry, couldn't resist
    You were lucky you had the referee on your side, so that the Swiss were outnumbered by the English, otherwise it would have ended 1-3!

But so what, as long as Switzerland is the greatest sailing nation and wins the America's Cup, we don't really worry.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    You were lucky you had the referee on your side, so that the Swiss were outnumbered by the English, otherwise it would have ended 1-3!

But so what, as long as Switzerland is the greatest sailing nation and wins the America's Cup, we don't really worry.
    Just because your players are dirty doesn't mean the ref's on our side! In any case you only looked threatening from set-pieces, our goals were from open play ;p
    Animo et Fide
    In any case you only looked threatening from set-pieces, our goals were from open play ;p
    We are only 7 million people, we can't be best EVERYWHERE, can we (I mean apart from tennis, sailing, chocolate, watchmaking, pharma, banking, etc., etc.)?
  5.    #5  
    We're through, we're through, you're not, you're not.

Very immature I know, but hey
    Animo et Fide
  6.    #6  
    Bloody Swiss referee, disallowing a perfectly good goal. If we'd won it wouldn't have reflected the game but still...
    Animo et Fide
    Bloody Swiss referee, disallowing a perfectly good goal. If we'd won it wouldn't have reflected the game but still...
    Perfectly good goal? This must be a case of nationalism-induced hallucination...

But seriously, is that really what people in England believe? I haven't heard anybody on Swiss or German TV who doubted the foul. And why did Beckham do the penalty kick? Isn't it known from history that he fails?
  8.    #8  
    Beckham scores a lot of penalties, not in this tournament unfortunately, but I've not seen him miss many before the France game. And yes, after watching many replays the only foul is on John Terry (England) by Sol Campbell (England) so that hardly counts does it? The keeper got himself in the wrong place, and the linesman gave the goal.
    I don't doubt that Portugal were better - at least after Rooney went off.
    Animo et Fide
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    It would be interesting to see if an all Swiis sailing team could win the cup... (IE no hiring American and New Zealand sailors to help out!)

When I was in Zermatt last year btw, my Treo 270 could not use GPRS. I ran up a $200 phone bill makiing dialup calls to my ISP to check email. Of course I was doing this on my porch oerlooking the Materhorn whilst getting a tan in a swimming suit! After a day of skiing no less! Much nicer than a smole-filled internet cafe. Where are the trendy little coffe shops that have free wifi access, great espressos and maybe a few cute waitresses to chat with?
    ;-)
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    PB: Are you going to cheer for Denmark now?
    Since I'm Swiss, I should cheer for Sweden, shouldn't I?
  11.    #11  
    After last night's game I think I'm going to support Greece! Fantastic result!
    Animo et Fide
  12.    #12  
    Why would I support Denmark? They sell us lots of bacon, and didn't King Bluetooth come from there?
    Animo et Fide
  13.    #13  
    Come on the Czechs!
    Animo et Fide
    what a result
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Quote Originally Posted by PRANKSTAR
    what a result
    The fault of the Swiss linesman, no doubt...
    The English Tabloid "Sun" has publicly burned cuckoo clocks because of the Swiss referees' decision that the English goal did not count. Strange, why do they burn German clocks because of the decision of a Swiss referee?
  17.    #17  
    In England cuckoo clocks are associated with Switzerland. This isn't just an English thing, if you read Asterix in Switzerland there are lots of cuckoo clocks in that too, so obviously the French associate them with you Swedes also ( )
    Well, actually in Asterix, because clocks aren't invented yet, they have to shout 'Cuckoo' every hour when they turn over their sand timers. Which annoys all the tourists who get woken up every hour
    Last edited by PeterBrown; 06/28/2004 at 05:15 AM.
    Animo et Fide
    In England cuckoo clocks are associated with Switzerland. This isn't just an English thing, if you read Asterix in Switzerland there are lots of cuckoo clocks in that too, so obviously the French associate them with you Swedes also ( )
    I think this only shows that the Sun derives it's knowlegde of Switzerland from comic strips like Asterix. This reminds me of how little they know about soccer rules, namely concerning the sanctity of the keeper in the goal area....
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    I think this only shows that the Sun derives it's knowlegde of Switzerland from comic strips like Asterix. This reminds me of how little they know about soccer rules, namely concerning the sanctity of the keeper in the goal area....
    Like when the goalie jumps up under a player you mean? There was no foul. I'll admit that it could have looked like a foul to the ref, if he was stupid, I mean biased, I mean Swiss, er, cuckoo!

Don't the Swiss make cuckoo clocks then? I know they make them in Germany too, but I always thought it was a traditional Swiss thing.

EDIT: You do! Cheap Novelty.com
    Animo et Fide
    Like when the goalie jumps up under a player you mean? There was no foul. I'll admit that it could have looked like a foul to the ref, if he was stupid, I mean biased, I mean Swiss, er, cuckoo!

Don't the Swiss make cuckoo clocks then? I know they make them in Germany too, but I always thought it was a traditional Swiss thing.

EDIT: You do! Cheap Novelty.com
    It is like burning a kilt for showing your discomfort with an English referee. Probably close, but wrong nontheless..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuckoo_clock

P.S. for Chick-Dance: I have heard the Czech coach is a fan of Shakespeare's poetry. No doubt he told his players what Marcellus said in Hamlet, Act 1, 5:90: "There is something rotten in the state of Denmark"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast