1.    #1  
    I just went to see the movie "Troy" today and I was NOT disappointed!

Brad Pitt (Achilles) was buff and his moves; athletic as well as predatory. It was nice seeing him so physically endrenched and commanding in this movie. The battle scenes were graphic (what I saw of them) and the co-star, was an excellent leading man as well!

You will also learn the orgin of the phrase "Achilles heel".....

Anyone else saw it or plan to see it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    so did the treo make a cameo?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  3.    #3  
    LOL, I don't think I could have stood to see my two stars on one screen at the same time. As it was hard to contain myself as it was.

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    "Achilles heel"
    That's great that you weren't disappointed. If you found some of the information imparted in the movie interesting, you might want to read about the subject further as there is quite a bit more information left to be found.

Here's a rather negative review from The Onion, to give you an idea of the fluffiness of that movie. (I'm not saying fluffiness is bad, or anything, I'm just saying that there is a staggering amount more depth to that subject, is all.)

Attached is a rather rough DOC conversion of a copy of The Iliad found on Project Gutenberg.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Anyone who thinks the whole Illiad is going to end up in onme two hour movie is an *****. The Onion review is so typical if movie critics. Why can't they just say they liked or disliked instead of going off on some highbrow diatribe. The guy who wrote that acts like he helped write the Iliiad and was offended because the movie version was a little light.

I for one am looking forward to seeing it. Now if we can just find a babysitter.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Not a bad movie at all...I wasn't disappointed. I mean, it's Hollywood. Worth the $5.50 IMO.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
  7.    #7  
    These types of movies when I find as inspiring as "Troy" also motivate me to seek out the full story. I'll be looking for it in "books on tape" or at Barnes and Noble.

The problem is that when the story is in another language or takes place in another country (other than English speaking), it is often rather hard for me to follow in print. At least "The Count of Monte Christo," for example was for me.

Quote Originally Posted by cash70
    Not a bad movie at all...I wasn't disappointed. I mean, it's Hollywood. Worth the $5.50 IMO.

I paid $6, and Im in NYC.

It was good.

there was a person who actually said out loud "i knew it" when the men got out of the horse. she never heard of the story b4?

I saw a documentary several years ago that theorized that it was an earthquake that brought down the wall and that is how the greeks got in.

btw, what is it with ppl and cell phones? I understand, you forget to tuurn off the sound, but when you hear someone elses cell phone go off dont you check to make sure. There were like 3 cells going off during the movie. one person actually had a conversation with the person for waisting her minutes.
    Felipe
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Why can't they just say they liked or disliked instead of going off on some highbrow diatribe.
    Because the Onion is America's finest news source.

Edit: the story of the Trojan war isn't told in just the Iliad. The conclusion (and the whole Trojan Horse bit) takes place at the beginning of the Odyssey.
    Last edited by snerdy; 05/16/2004 at 09:24 AM.
  10.    #10  
    I paid $6.00 bucks too. 2nd round I'm gonna catch it at the Drive in with a couple of other new releases. But next it's "Shrek 2" for me!

Don't know what the deal with folks with cell phones in movies. It's so simple to just turn off the sound and not annoy folks trying to hear the movie. But then, one would need to know how to do that and be considerrate (or scared) enough to care.

P.S. Did you guys see the new teaser trailer for the "Ocean's 12" movie coming out in the Fall! Original casts, from Clooney, Pitt, Mac and the rest. I'm pumped!

The History Channel is showing "The True Story of Troy" tonight.

Already started on the east cost, but there is a repeat later on this morning.
    Felipe
  12.    #12  
    Talk about frantic, I found the channel and I'm watching it now.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    There was a person who actually said out loud "i knew it" when the men got out of the horse. she never heard of the story b4?
    Polls will show that most people believe the term "Achilles heel" is a quote from the movie "Troy".

Isn't it also nice how the makers of the movie picked up the term "Troyan" for a special type of computer security breach and built the "Trojan Horse" into the plot?
    Quote Originally Posted by snerdy
    Edit: the story of the Trojan war isn't told in just the Iliad. The conclusion (and the whole Trojan Horse bit) takes place at the beginning of the Odyssey.
    So already Homer knew the cliffhanger (assuming Homer existed and created both the Iliad and the Odyssey).
    Last edited by clulup; 05/17/2004 at 04:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    So already Homer knew the cliffhanger (assuming Homer existed and created both the Iliad and the Odyssey).
    according to the documentory, he was the teller (singer), not the writer of the stories.
    Felipe
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    according to the documentory, he was the teller (singer), not the writer of the stories.
    That's why I wrote that he "created" the Iliad.
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Sorry to wake up this post which appeared to be peacefully sleeping, but I just thought I'd point out that whoever the originators of the Iliad and the Odyssey were (and they appear to be by the same man) the ending of the Odyssey is almost certainly not by whoever created the rest of it. There's a marked change in style a chapter or two from the end. This could be one of the oldest examples of a 'Hollywood' ending
    Animo et Fide