1.    #1  
    Anyone here use Knoppix? It's a really cool concept. Burn a CD with an OS on it (Linux, in this case) and reboot. That's it! It's a great way to experiment with Linux.

As for the OS, I don't like it as much as Windows, but there are some nice things (like the price), but all in all I'm still a windows man.

The coolest thing I've had happen has to do with the wireless card I have on this computer. It automatically sensed it and installed (presumably) the necessary driver. That sure didn't happen when I was using Windows.
    i used it on a laptop a couple of times, but it didn't recognize my wireless. it found the regular nic without an issue.

the version i used didnt come with kismet, which is what i was looking for.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I love it, use it for debugging quite often. Also is nice if I don't want to leave my traces on a machine - lets me keep things a bit more private.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Anyone here use Knoppix? It's a really cool concept. Burn a CD with an OS on it (Linux, in this case) and reboot. That's it! It's a great way to experiment with Linux.

As for the OS, I don't like it as much as Windows, but there are some nice things (like the price), but all in all I'm still a windows man.

The coolest thing I've had happen has to do with the wireless card I have on this computer. It automatically sensed it and installed (presumably) the necessary driver. That sure didn't happen when I was using Windows.
    Kram -

What mirror did you use to download it? I'm trying now and the transfer rate is only 4.5kb/sec which will take around ~ 50hrs.

I'm intrigued by the concept - try out Linux without the commitment.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Just downloaded the newest version. STILL no drivers for my Wireless G PCI card. Also, it (kernel 2.4) can only read NTFS files, not write to them. Eventually the linux boys and girls will figure it out.

However, use a USB key and save away those personal settings. :-)
    -Craig J.

Visor Platinum -= Clie T615CS -= treo 600 -=treo 650 -= Tilt
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. "
    -Douglas Adams
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by webslappy
    Kram -

What mirror did you use to download it? I'm trying now and the transfer rate is only 4.5kb/sec which will take around ~ 50hrs.

I'm intrigued by the concept - try out Linux without the commitment.
    I don't remember what mirror I used. I remember it taking a LONG time (possibly 50 hours). Definitely more than a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by cphil674
    Also, it (kernel 2.4) can only read NTFS files, not write to them. Eventually the linux boys and girls will figure it out.
    Yes, despite the total lack of documentation given to them by Microsoft, they will figure it out. Pretty impressive IMO.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  8.    #8  
    I heard of that someone put together a Windows Media codec that works with linux.