Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I'm no fan of politicians in general but here is Gore's actual quote:

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

Still sounds exaggerated to me.
    Heaven help us. First Gore invents the internet. Then he gets a Treo. What's next-posting a thread on TreoCentral.

Somehow, I think a little less of my Treo than before.

Attn: kpilgreen. Good to see another Tiger join the site.
    One question - Sprint or GSM?
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Hey! This forum is suposed to be about a leader in it's class... not a classless leader (or should we say former leader). Let's hope the Treo line does better than the ex-VP.

Anyone know what Kerry carries? My guess would be he keeps flip flopping between a Palm and PPC device.

ps. Just guessing Bush carries a Tungsten "W"
    Gore never claimed to have "invented" the Internet. What he said was: During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet.

Semantics my friends. He obviously was trying to take credit for it and didn't deserve to get. Seems to me "FOX News" called a spade a spade.

By the way, you wouldn't of happened to have seen the job growth numbers from last month have you?

GM
    Quote Originally Posted by j$hort
    Anyone know what Kerry carries? My guess would be he keeps flip flopping between a Palm and PPC device.
    Kerry actually bought 4 Treo 600's. No, he doesn't own a Treo 600 - he doesn't believe in them - those 4 Treos all belong to his family. Wait - he used to have one, but he threw it over the fence.

Makes sense to me.
    Last edited by heberman; 05/07/2004 at 03:44 PM.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    WHEN???? Will the loser quit crying about being cheated??? It is really beyond the pale. No one enjoys losing that way or that closely, but there is such a thing as being professional and gracious when you lose!! Time to move on!
    RJuhl
    Gore doesn't use a case for his Treo 600. He keeps it safe in a lockbox.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Too funny Heberman... I guess when Kerry gets his story straight..then we may be able to know it and where he stands. Nice enough guy and I admire anyone who serves his country in some capacity...but I probably agree with about %1 of his views. MA is all wrapped up anyway, so my efforts/vote either way makes no difference...
    Great comments heberman! They gave a good laugh at the end of a long day.
    Good for him.

He is a gadget freak (better than being the kinky freak his boss was).

Didn't he have a blackberry doing the campaing season? And a palm b4 that.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    Good for him. He is a gadget freak (better than being the kinky freak his boss was).
    He's also a space-freak. I was up late one night recently watching coverage of the Opportunity spacecraft landing on Mars (the NASA channel is cool). Once it had landed, everyone was cheering, shaking hands, etc. Then Governor Schwarzenegger was on camera shaking hands, etc.

Next who did I see getting camera time and shaking hands with people at the JPL in California: Al Gore. (I assume he played a part in the mission funding during the Clinton era or earlier as a Senator.)
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Exactly. "I took the initiative in creating the Internet." Meaning, as a member of Congress, he was one of a few who very early on supported and then later voted for legislation that helped fund the creation of the Arpanet, which later became the Internet. He was taking credit, for sure—for something he actually did. That's what Congressmen tend to do. They vote for funding of projects they believe in, so that scientists and engineers can afford to do their research and make breakthroughs. Without that funding, the Internet wouldn't have happened. He "took the initiative" of supporting something while others were skeptical.

If I were a Congressman, and something I had voted for passed and then turned out to be one of the best things to ever happen to the planet, I'd be proud of it, too.

Were there better ways he could have phrased it? Absolutely. Could he have acknowledged that he was one of many people who played a role in this event? Of course. But you'd be hard pressed to find any politician who wouldn't jump at the opportunity to toot his own horn a little.

Heck, Bush took credit for a Texas Patients Bill of Rights, which he actually vetoed. Did anyone call him out on that? No.

No one who wasn't looking for an excuse to hate this guy would assume he meant to take credit for the actual technological advancements that led to the Internet's creation. The word "invent" was never used by Gore. Gore would have to be a moron to think he would get away with that. And if one thing is clear as day (again to unbiased eyes) it's that while Gore is far from perfect, he's no dummy. Naive, yes. Too trusting of the reporters who interviewed him. Yes. Too unschooled in the practices of underhanded politics to be an effective world leader. Yes.

But not stupid.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Please, please, please, don't tell me that Hillary and Ted Kennedy have Treos.
    joe in order to maintain your 'non-partisan centrist' position, you will now need to defend Mr. Bush and his often used improper pronunciation of nuclear.

I'd also like to wonder why it's ok for everyone in the media, and many on the left in general, to speculate that things would be different/better had Bush not won and not ok for me to do the opposite? For the record, I rarely watch Fox news. I get my news from a variety of sources on both sides of the partisan fence. I make my decisions based on everything and good old common sense (more uncommon than common in todays world).

And as far as speculating on the state of the economy or the frequency of terror attacks had the election turned out differently, that's rather adolescent, isn't it? Easy to win an argument based on theorheticals. Let's stick with what ACTUALLY happened, instead of what MIGHT have happened, shall we? So that both sides can debate the FACTS, instead of the assumptions?
    I am entitled to my opinion and watching Gore over the last 20 years, I think these things would have been different. It's good to know you only have opinions based on what has actually happened. So you wait until you've been burglarized to get an alarm system instead of getting one just because you might get burglarized? Do you wait to get car insurance until after you've had a wreck? Gonna buy your life insurance after your dead?

And frankly my dear, I dont give a damn if you have respect for what I say or not.
    Last edited by Woof; 05/07/2004 at 06:47 PM.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Except ARPANET was created in the late sixties. Anyone really know what Gore was referring to. This is all I could find:

When he was a senator, he supported funding for NSFNet through the High Performance Computing Act that became law in 1991.

If Al Gore won I hope his attitude on National Security would have changed post 9/11. Otherwise our troops would be in Detroit.

We now know that [the automobiles] cumulative impact on the global environment is posing a mortal threat to the security of every nation that is more deadly than that of any military enemy we are ever likely again to confront
    --Al Gore
    This thread should be in the off topic.
    i guess everyone missed the point. the important thing is that he uses a treo 600. he invented this thing and we treo 600 users should be proud that we are in the company of the elite when it comes to gizmos.
    Thanks mrjoec for injecting some sanity into this thread.

It's just a damn shame that more people don't educate themselves about national and international events. There's a lot of information out there, and it's not just on FOX or CNN. If you are patient and persistent, you can distill the facts from the nonsense, and you will be wiser.

Not sure if it would change anyone's vote -- does everyone base their vote just on their own tax rates? Yikes -- but at least we would have a more informed voting public. And maybe we wouldn't have any more poll results that say 70% of Americans believe that Saddam was connected to 9/11.
    Would someone please move this inane thread to the correct discussion group. I cannot believe I actually got dragged in and read some of it.
    PS - no we don't shoot Haggi or run around in kilts :-)
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast