1.    #1  
    I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice to have a home phone that was as customizable as the Treo using Palm OS? To be able to use programs like CallShield on a home phone would be awesome. Don't bother ringing when certain numbers or unknown callers call and choice whether to even allow them into your answering machine. It could have a ethernet/wireless connection to you home network and notify you that you have new mail based on rules.

It would be used for different reasons obviously such as Remote Controls (with a stronger IR) for AV equipment and lighting, Recipes and other personal needs.

I know I'm dreaming here but it could be a different avenue for smartphone technologies and the PalmOS.....
    My Vtech phones allow you to download custom wallpaper and ringers to them. That's about as custom as they get though.
    NY Times had an article Thursday in its tech section about customizing the new breed of Land-Line-Phones, usually cordless phones. They are getting to be similar to cell phones.