Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    Of course we feel safer if you post less often. Much more typos slip through...
    That's 'many more', ahem. And I was going to jump on Alli for Defense as well, but apparently that's the american spelling. That Webster bloke really did some silly things with his spelling reform thing, what the hell's wrong with 'defence'? (I'm assuming it was Webster's doing, could just be that before Alli was around Defenserating the language most Americans couldn't spell)
    Animo et Fide
  2.    #162  
    Of course we feel safer if you post less often. Much more typos slip through...

No way. I have Peter Brown now to pick up the slack. Even though he speaks a totally foreign language, he's not too bad with American.
  3.    #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by ACDriver
    Based on the congressional hearings I would say Homeland Defense and Lethargy seem to go hand and hand.

KIDDING!

There was a time I might have agreed with you. But at the local level (here, at least), it's top notch. I've been impressed.
  4.    #164  
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterBrown
    That's 'many more', ahem. And I was going to jump on Alli for Defense as well, but apparently that's the american spelling. That Webster bloke really did some silly things with his spelling reform thing, what the hell's wrong with 'defence'? (I'm assuming it was Webster's doing, could just be that before Alli was around Defenserating the language most Americans couldn't spell)

Not to mention the fact that we defenestrated the old dictionary.

Nonetheless, I'm glad you have an English - American translation dictionary, and I trust you to pick up the slack when I'm gone.
    defenestrated is one of my favourite words who conceived such an elegant word for such a violent act? I like 'micturate' too, for a similar reason
    cheers for the sarcastic roses chick-dance, they're my favourite variety
    Animo et Fide
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    Nonetheless, I'm glad you have an English - American translation dictionary, and I trust you to pick up the slack when I'm gone.
    I just changed my spellchecker from UK English to US English and the wiggly red line disappeared. That plus the fact that no-one else queried it. There's a lot of illogicality in either dialect and it doesn't pay to be too picky
    As for picking up the slack, I'm not tidying up after ACD and C-D!
    Animo et Fide
    That's 'many more', ahem.
    Hey, that was supposed to be a bait for Alli, how comes you go for it? Maybe because she speaks American and did not notice?
    As for picking up the slack, I'm not tidying up after ACD and C-D!
    I don't think anyone should tidy up after either ACD or C-D, they make this site lively and a funny mess.
  9.    #169  
    Hey, that was supposed to be a bait for Alli, how comes you go for it? Maybe because she speaks American and did not notice?

Maybe because she was busy and PB got to it first?

My god, people, what are you going to do over the next few weeks when I start hitting the road?!
  10.    #170  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    I don't think anyone should tidy up after either ACD or C-D, they make this site lively and a funny mess.

They certainly make it a mess...which is why they need tidying up after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli
    My god, people, what are you going to do over the next few weeks when I start hitting the road?!
    Better that you bring your Treo with you. Can't afford to miss those sharp, mean responses. It just would not be the same.
    To be fair to Alli I think I read it first. Besides, I can't let the apprentice English speaker get all the pedantry medals can I? (duck and run)
    I think some Americans actually do think the main language they speak is called American, and they're unaware of the origin of the term 'Imperial System' etc. etc.

I have a friend who used to live in Houston, she told me that she went into a library (centre of learning right?) and was speaking to the librarian who commented on her accent. 'Where are you from?' she asked. 'England' said my friend. 'Really? What language do they speak there then?'

Still, I have to say that there are thick people who live here too. Not sure how many run libraries though...
    Animo et Fide
    Still, I have to say that there are thick people who live here too. Not sure how many run libraries though...
    ..., or become president. This story reminds me of Bush when the pope told him he was Pole. Bush's reply to this was "North Pole or South Pole?" - ok, ok, this was a joke, but Bush DID ask Brazilian president Cardoso "Do you have blacks, too?", or didn't he (it wasn't taped, unfortunately)?

Here is one for our resident French teacher Alli:

When Charles de Gaulle decided to retire from public life, the American ambassador and his wife threw a gala dinner party in his honor. At the dinner table the Ambassador's wife was talking with Madame de Gaulle.

"Your husband has been such a prominent public figure, such a presence on the French and International scene for so many years! How quiet retirement will seem in comparison. What are you most looking forward to in these retirement years?"

"A *****," replied Madame de Gaulle.

A huge hush fell over the table. Everyone heard her answer . . . and no one knew what to say next.

Finally, Le Grand Charles leaned over to his wife and said, "Ma cherie, I believe zee Americans pronounce zat word 'appiness.'"
    lol, I've heard that one about Charles de Gaulle.
    Do you know why Charles de Gaulle has Greek Letters on his hat?

French Letters would just look silly.
    Last edited by PeterBrown; 06/23/2004 at 08:50 AM. Reason: spelling!
    Animo et Fide
    Do you know why Charles de Gaulle has Greek Letters on his hat?

French Letters would just look silly.
    ??? ???
    French Letter was a slang term for a Latex Prophylactic Device, I thought it was a more universal term but maybe it was just british?
    Animo et Fide
  17.    #177  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000
    Better that you bring your Treo with you. Can't afford to miss those sharp, mean responses. It just would not be the same.
    I'll have it with me...except for the few days I go a) sailing, and b) on the 7 day cruise. You'll just have to make do. <sigh>
  18.    #178  

I have a friend who used to live in Houston, she told me that she went into a library (centre of learning right?) and was speaking to the librarian who commented on her accent. 'Where are you from?' she asked. 'England' said my friend. 'Really? What language do they speak there then?'

I go through that with my students when we start studying adjectives of nationalities. They are under the impression that England is in France, (?!) and that in Mexico, the people speak Mexican. Somewhere they are not being taught basic geography. Very sad.
  19.    #179  
    Quote, quote, misquote....

I've also heard that story of Mme De Gaulle. I laugh every time.

And it's not that French letters are uniquely English, but outdated in the US. It's a term that was used back during WWI, I believe. But don't let a Brit put on his rain boots with an American date, cause your rubbers are our French letters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chick-Dance
    And may I speak on behalf of that Green Lizard as well: Thanks ronbo
    On this issue and ONLY on this issue you may speak for me. Now, SHUT UP!
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast