Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    What I'm surprised that noone has posted in this thread, (I think -- it's gotten pretty long by now) is that the notable thing about the incident was not that a breast was flashed and they crossed the "forbidden line" (I guess that was the motivation) but that Jackson felt this was necessary to do to get attention. She's a grown woman, she's been in the public eye all her life, and she picked the most popular television event of the year to pull this stunt.
    I mean I can only assume it was premeditated, by her at least,
    I guess she's jealous of her brother getting all those page one cover stories.

Do you get my point? It's not that she flashed her boob in front of millions, or that is was a supposedly family event (not my family, though!) but just that she thought this was a cool thing to do.

This is not Madonna frenching at the grammy's; this is just a totally desperate way to call attention to your career.

But what do I know.
    Last edited by dennisl; 02/06/2004 at 07:29 AM.
    Originally posted by BobbyMike

How about how Americans are the only truly civilized people in the world?
    Sure, sure. But you have to admit that regarding civil clothing of women the Taliban in Afganistan and probably Saudiarabia are still slightly ahead of the US. But you are getting closer, judging from the above story .
    Originally posted by clulup

Sure, sure. But you have to admit that regarding civil clothing of women the Taliban in Afganistan and probably Saudiarabia are still slightly ahead of the US. But you are getting closer, judging from the above story .
    Give us time, we're not afraid of hard work.

BTW by your use of sarcasm are you equating public nudity with civilized society?
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."

Give us time, we're not afraid of hard work.

BTW by your use of sarcasm are you equating public nudity with civilized society?
    Of course! And to emphasize that, I will spend my skiing holidays (starting tomorrow) naked. Unless, of course, temperature is below 25 degrees Celsius (I'll leave the calcutation to you, in case you are still using that funny non-metric system some americans seem to use, at least the ones outside of the scientific world...
    Not even WMDs or B. Spears getting annulled?
    http://news.com.com/2100-1026_3-5153330.html
    Shocking, but not unexpected as it seems that so much "Public Outrage" is manufactured by politicians, media, or other special interest groups.
    On that we're definitely in agreement.
    I wasn't shocked or outraged that a MTV produced show would end up that way. Just disinterested.
    That too.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    http://carnaval.terra.com.br/riodejaneiro

I was in Brazil last week (on business, in a boring industrial city), and got back just in time for the Janet Jackson expose. I am trying to figure out how to get back to Brazil in time for Carnaval- this time to Rio.

Hey, I think the NFL should just ask one of the samba schools to do next year's half time show.

don't let your kids see this website. In fact, you have to say you were doing "cultural research"

you'll need a high speed internet connection to really enjoy this. check on the left for "fotos" and "videos"

I've got to imagine that the rest of the world has a big yawn about the Janet Jackson "scandal". (the lack of) WMD is more important
    Of course! And to emphasize that, I will spend my skiing holidays (starting tomorrow) naked. Unless, of course, temperature is below 25 degrees Celsius (I'll leave the calcutation to you, in case you are still using that funny non-metric system some americans seem to use, at least the ones outside of the scientific world...
    I bet you look funny with the zinc oxide sunscreen on

Heck, we still use inches and feet (measurements full of culture and history). Which is interesting as Europe (always reminding us as to our upstart "newbie" culture status) moved to the metric system which is kinda boring and bland. Actually the metric system reminds me of McDonalds or Coca-Cola.

I think I'll start using cubits and rods more often.
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
    Thought this was funny... Most of the news networks etc are continuously (and predictably) showing the Jackson breast clip over and over again. And of course they all have Janet's breast all blurried up for the "children's sake". Anyway, I was flipping around and ended up on Galavision (the spanish station) and low and behold the showed the whole clip, clear breast and all, with no bluring!! LOL! I thought that was pretty hilarious... However, considering all the T&A that's normally shown on Galavision, Janet's little incident is nothing!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Hi all, What bothers me about this entire isssue is as follows:

To my mind it reinforces the thought of men forcing or taking what they want from women and treating them as if they are 2nd class citizens.

It also illustrates a man sexually assulting a woman. Regardless if it was her idea or not.

I did not see the event, I do not care for football.

I think it set back the issues of feminism back many years, which is sad. BTW I am a guy who is very enlightened about equal rights for all.

It is a shame, they both set back feminism for waht to sell a few more CD's? I wonder how they will both feel, when a young kid does the same thing Mr. Timberlake did to a young woman?

It also makes you think of who and why certain people become public icons in this country. They are both mediocre singers, frankly with out amplification Janet Jackson's voice is almost non existant and Justin Timberlake is a frankly a homely geek, with a unforgetable voice, who frankly is making me sick.

Look he is not the first guy who lost a girlfriend and I am sick and tired of hearing him carry on about Brittany, and vice versa. So what an ex girl friend dumped me, as we were going to get engaged. It happends, life goes on.... Frankly I am more concerned about how to pay for my rx bills which are well over $1200 a month than I am about .

Like it or not Janet and Justin are role models, I do not like the idea of my 14 & 16 year old nephews to get the remotest idea of that is how one treats a woman. If that was not on a stage and happend in "real life" he would have been arrested for sexual assualt and frankly should be, so I do not have to hear abotu either one of them and Brittany again.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Haha Clulup. I believe the where is the WMD thread was where I left off before my hiatus last year. Interestingly enough there is still no WMD.

Good to see you around, hope you and your family are fine - just when I started thinking everybody is gone, I can see that the ingredients for a lively discussion are still around (Toby, Yardie, etc.).

But hey, what shall we fight about, now that it has become commonly accepted knowledge that there were no WMD in Iraq when the war started?
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Wow,

I thought I was a feminist, but you take the cake on this one. In any event, I think you are way off base. First of all, your whole arguement seems to be a bit paternal. Who are we as men to tell women what they should or should not do? If Janet Jackson wanted her breast to be exposed, who are we to classify it as sexual assault? I think it is high time we move away from the idea that certain choices a women make are abusive and exploitative. If I was a woman who strips as a choice, I would be very offensive if a so called feminist or anyone else look down on me and tell me that I am being exploited etc. etc. Essentially you would saying that I am stupid and does not know any better.

Originally posted by ilovedessert
    Hi all, What bothers me about this entire isssue is as follows:

To my mind it reinforces the thought of men forcing or taking what they want from women and treating them as if they are 2nd class citizens.

It also illustrates a man sexually assulting a woman. Regardless if it was her idea or not.

I did not see the event, I do not care for football.

I think it set back the issues of feminism back many years, which is sad. BTW I am a guy who is very enlightened about equal rights for all.

It is a shame, they both set back feminism for waht to sell a few more CD's? I wonder how they will both feel, when a young kid does the same thing Mr. Timberlake did to a young woman?

It also makes you think of who and why certain people become public icons in this country. They are both mediocre singers, frankly with out amplification Janet Jackson's voice is almost non existant and Justin Timberlake is a frankly a homely geek, with a unforgetable voice, who frankly is making me sick.

Look he is not the first guy who lost a girlfriend and I am sick and tired of hearing him carry on about Brittany, and vice versa. So what an ex girl friend dumped me, as we were going to get engaged. It happends, life goes on.... Frankly I am more concerned about how to pay for my rx bills which are well over $1200 a month than I am about .

Like it or not Janet and Justin are role models, I do not like the idea of my 14 & 16 year old nephews to get the remotest idea of that is how one treats a woman. If that was not on a stage and happend in "real life" he would have been arrested for sexual assualt and frankly should be, so I do not have to hear abotu either one of them and Brittany again.
    Heheh

America,

Home of Jerry Springer
    Where there is a murder every minute
    Where the right to own a gun is in the constitution
    Where some criminals are murdered by the goverment with lethal injections and electricity
    and on and on

How about how Americans are the only truly civilized people in the world?
    Hi, Your missing my point entirely! What they did says to others it is OK ot sexually assault a woman. What happens if a 14 year old boy does thsi to a 14 year old young lady, because they saw it on the super bowl. When you are in the public eye, your actions have consequensces. (sp). I do not give a rats A*%$ about Janet or Justin and what they choose to do. But Like it or not, what they do effects how other people act. So in effect they are roll models! (I case I find very frightening)! They should have thought about what they do and how it effects society as being more important than selling CDs. Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hi, Your missing my point entirely! What they did says to others it is OK ot sexually assault a woman. What happens if a 14 year old boy does thsi to a 14 year old young lady, because they saw it on the super bowl. When you are in the public eye, your actions have consequensces. (sp). I do not give a rats A*%$ about Janet or Justin and what they choose to do. But Like it or not, what they do effects how other people act. So in effect they are roll models! (I case I find very frightening)! They should have thought about what they do and how it effects society as being more important than selling CDs. Take care, Jay
    I believe I understand what you're saying. Regardless of what Janet's choices were to do in her show, the imagery presented was that he ripped off her top. It would not have been the same imagery if she had taken the top off herself. Is that right?
    Hi, you got it 110%. I think, in fact I know that females here in the usa and every where else for that matter, deserve better than what they both did. Take care, Jay
    Originally posted by yardie

1)Home of Jerry Springer
    2)Where there is a murder every minute
    3)Where the right to own a gun is in the constitution
    4)Where some criminals are murdered by the goverment with lethal injections and electricity
    1) Yeah, and he was a mayor at one point! Yikes.
    2) Wrong. 14,054/(365*24*60) = 0.026738965
    (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_02/xl/02tbl2-4.xls)
    3) A product of the times, since seized upon for the wrong reasons.
    4) Hey now, some innocents are killed that way too.
    well i gues jerry springer, janet jackson & justin all belong in the same trash barrell.

I just wonder what happened to that cute yoiung girl who was in the tv show fame, her name was janet jackson and she was in fame for 1 or 2 seasons. now she is trailer trash as is justin with jerry spring owning the traler park! LMAO take care, jay
    After reading this whole thing I want to take some aspirin and have a nap. I will of course force myself to comment.

The boob thing was funny. I tivo'd so my wife could see it because she was in the kitchen when it happened. She was amazed a boob that flabby made it on tv. Janet should work those pecs abit. Didn't shock us though except maybe we wondered what was the point.

Now even if it was planned, was the impact any different than if one of the chearleaders breasts had popped out on camera? She would not likely have been wearing an ornament, so we would have gotten real nipple. Would there be an outcry? I have to think not. That's the chance you take with live tv.

If my daughters (Heberman) had been watching with me, I would have explained it as some sort of accident and let them know that it's not a big deal cause they'll have them someday. Breasts i mean, not accidents. Well they may have those too, so make sure they have that insurance. But then living in Utah, you are likely a Mormon and anything that might lead anyone to think of sex is bad. Good think she wasn't drinking a caffienated drink at the same time. I didn't think of sex when I saw that boob, why did you? I supposed if Justin had ripped her pants off and bent her over a speaker and started humping her from behind there would be cause for concern. But as far as children go the whole things was easily explained away. Also if the dancing and flirting was so bad(heberman again) why didnt the lyrics of kid rock and Nelly prompt you to change the channel long before the J & J show? Little kids don't know sex so they wont think sex UNLESS you tell them what to think.

And what the hell is up with nudity being always associated with sex? If they are so ingrained together as the many religious folks would have you believe, how can they stand to give their kids baths? Thats nudity isn't it?

As Will S. said once this is all "much ado about nothing".

WMD's. Ok so we didnt find any. Our intelligence was flawed. Who knows everything? Saddam Hussein needed removed regardless and I for one am glad we went and did it. I really don't give a crap if the UN or the world is p!ssied about it. When we do nothing were the bad guy. When we do something were the bad guy. The US does more for anybody than anyone else in this world. And lets not go stupid and say we did it just for the oil. If we did why haven't our oil prices and gas prices gone down?

Ok enough political bs.

God bless America, even with it's flaws.

Woof
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Wow a feminist calling a women trailer trash because one of her breast was exposed. Thats a tall order Jay. I think Janet Jackson is far from being a trailer thrash. She has been around for more than a decade now --- and as far as I know, this is the first time that any part of her body got exposed. You dont suppose Halle Berry is trailer thrash too because both of her breasts were exposed in Swordfish?

well i gues jerry springer, janet jackson & justin all belong in the same trash barrell.

I just wonder what happened to that cute yoiung girl who was in the tv show fame, her name was janet jackson and she was in fame for 1 or 2 seasons. now she is trailer trash as is justin with jerry spring owning the traler park! LMAO take care, jay
    The US invaded Iraq because they had grand designs on the Middle East. Read the manifestos Paul Wolfowitz and the other backroom boys of the White House wrote before Bush stole the election from Gore. There is a even a new one written by WOlfowitz and the Canadian Neo con guy that coins the phrase "AXis of Evil" when he was Bush's speechwriter (His name eludes me at the moment).

Originally posted by Woof

WMD's. Ok so we didnt find any. Our intelligence was flawed. Who knows everything? Saddam Hussein needed removed regardless and I for one am glad we went and did it. I really don't give a crap if the UN or the world is p!ssied about it. When we do nothing were the bad guy. When we do something were the bad guy. The US does more for anybody than anyone else in this world. And lets not go stupid and say we did it just for the oil. If we did why haven't our oil prices and gas prices gone down?

Ok enough political bs.

God bless America, even with it's flaws.

Woof