1.    #1  
    I wondered why was the Criterion Collection DVDs so expensive so I bought Time Bandits. All in all it costed more than $32, and yet they say I save $11 already. I took a look and there's really nothing special about the Criterion version and the other version. I guess the only thing different is the Criterion DVD have a serial number on it. So does anyone know what's so special of it?
    Criterion generally licences the rights to do a DVD from the main publisher then adds supplements like new commentary tracks, deleted scenes, etc. My "Life of Brian" Criterion cost ~$26, but has 2 commentary tracks with the Pythons, so it was worth it.

Damn I wish DVDCentral was available.

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com
    Personal Website: http://www.Hromadka.com
    Originally posted by JHromadka:
    Criterion generally licences the rights to do a DVD from the main publisher then adds supplements like new commentary tracks, deleted scenes, etc. My "Life of Brian" Criterion cost ~$26, but has 2 commentary tracks with the Pythons, so it was worth it.
    They also generally use a much higher quality transfer process. I'm sure dvdfile.com has an explanation of the differences somewhere.

------------------
    "The mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work unless it's open." - Frank Zappa
    I recently bought the “Criterion Collection” version of Brazil. It was about $45 (I think it was on sale…), but I used a gift-certificate, so I ended up paying about $23 for it. It has 3 disks.

Disk 1 – “The Movie”:
    Terry Gilliam’s final 142-minute cut of the movie, with an audio commentary by Terry.
    Disk 2 – “The Production Notebook”:
    Lots of special features like documentaries and behind-the-scenes stuff (music, storyboards, special effects, etc.) It also includes The Battle of Brazil – A Video History – about the “fight” between Gilliam and the studio over the movie.
    Disk 3 – “Brazil: The ‘Love Conquers All’ Version”:
    The 94-minute “studio” cut of the movie, with commentary. This is the version that is usually shown on television. (Different beginning, different ending, totally different movie.)

I really like this DVD set. I had seen parts of the studio version on TV, but never paid attention to it, simply because I hate commercial interruptions during my movies. This set showed just how VERY different the two versions are – not even the same story anymore. This particular “Criterion Collection” was well worth the price. If you love the movie “Brazil” (and most either love or hate it), check out this set.