Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Sorry, Mr. Warman! I don't wish what I said to be taken seriously.

[This message has been edited by jeff318 (edited 06-01-2000).]
    Originally posted by SCM:
    As I look back at how many posts we've accumulated of this thread, I'm finding myself a little concerned that we are defeating our very purpose. Mr. Warman has a small company that is rather unknown. When the average PDA user thinks of screen protectors, they are not thinking of VSPS because most have never heard of it. But we are providing Mr. Warman with a whole lot of free advertising.
    The goal is not to deprive Mr. Warman of business per se. That's just a residual effect. The goal is to get him off the backs of other vendors who are being extorted by a manifestly absurd patent. The real problem is with the PTO, but as long as the likes of patent commissioner Q. Todd Dickinson remain at the helm, the chances of any substantial reform are pretty remote. Dickinson's said numerous times that he thinks everything's fine at the PTO. So we have ridiculous cases like the Amazon's 1-Click Ordering, Unisys' outrageous licensing fees for GIFs, GeoWorks demanding licensing fees for WAP-enabled devices, etc.

However, you are right. Any boycott or public criticism does raise VSPS' profile. As Andy Warhol used to say, "I don't read my press, I weigh it." Unfortunalely, IP larceny needs to be challenged openly, even if it does have undesireable short-term effects.

Incidentally, Visors from Amazon require 1-Click ordering. No thanks. Boycott Amazon!

[This message has been edited by Gameboy70 (edited 06-01-2000).]
    Came in to catch up on things and got a refresher in English Grammar 101 to boot!

Originally posted by Hawkeye:
    ...1 unhappy customer will influence more people than 50 satisfied customers. Why? Because an unhappy customer is upset about his experience and wants to vent and also to warn others of his experience. However, a satisfied customer got what he expected, nothing more, and therefore doesn't need to tell anyone.
    For those of you who were around back in November and December, remember the "tone" of the posts regarding Handspring and their shipping woes. It makes me wonder how many Visor sales were lost as it almost turned me away as well.

Well, the same holds true in this case. Name recognition or not, bad publicity will never generate sales. Of course, not every potential screen protector buyer is going to be browsing through this thread either.

Add me to the boycott... of course I've been there since my Visor arrived because I've used nothing but homemade protection on it.

------------------
    MarkEagle - Ice is nice!
    Mr.Inventor, so what you invented it? Big deal. I promise you i will do everything in my power to get people to stop buying any product that you get any money from. And James please do not do a review on his product i desperatly do not want him having any publicity.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Inventorb:
    [B]
    My Public Apology

I have submitted a sworn statement to Ebay. In this statement the writeright screen protector is mention. In order to use Ebays site you must abide by their rules. One of their rules deals with
    Copyright Infringement, Patent Infringement, and Intellectual property rights.

Regardless of what the majority might say on this web site or others. One day I will show
    everyone that I do indeed own a patent on the combination of an electronic device and a screen
    protector. See
    http://www.vsps.com/claims.htm Claims
    http://www.vsps.com/RE_35,318.htm Patent
    [trimed]

My Palm came with a plastic screen protector from the factory. Do you get a royalty from that. Also the Compaq laptops that we get from the factory used to have a plastic screen protector. They do not now. Is that your doing?
    Could someone explain to me why a Visor/Palm screen protector falls under Mr.Warman's patent? He clearly points out that the device he "invented" has a tab for easy removal. My WriteRights and custom made screen protectors (along with many of the custom screen protector discusssions on this board) do not have a tab extruding for easy removal.

For anyone that doesn't know, IBM has a Patent server that provides easy searching of Patents. Mr.Warmans is located at the following URL:
    http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?&...&s_drwd=1#drwd

Joe
    Mr. Warman claims the tab is optional.....but what I did notice is that his screen protectors are patented not because of any one feature, but because of the combination of all his listed features. From what I can tell, WriteRights and the brand I use do not have all of his features, and therefore don't fall under his patent.

BTW.....tried to visit is site today, and it is stated as Temporarily Out of Order....LOL

Ryan
    Originally posted by rclayton:
    The official boycott has begun......

www.girlandgeek.com/boycott

There is also a discussion board to give VC some relief of a horse I intend to keep beating.....

Ryan
    Mr. Clayton,
    I herby command you to stop using the term "Boycott". I have a patent (83,296) on the word and plan to enforce it! I intend to also restrict and go after anyone using variations of the word such as 'boy','cotton',etc. etc.
    Furthermore, I have patented the idea for the Bulletin Board and am herby requesting the closing of this discussion group or you will suffer my wrath!
    Have a good day.
    pezpunk

HAAAAAAAAHAAAHA!
    Well, by extension, you should probably also protect against the misuse of "girl." And by further extension and simple misspelling, "gril" and then "grill" and then "barbecue." Wow, I think you've got something here! (The question is: What?)
    Originally posted by SherylKing:
    Wow, I think you've got something here! (The question is: What?)
    an excuse to sue the pants off everyone judging by the guy who claims to have invented plastic cover thingys here.
    Thanks for the link to the patent.

I encourage everyone to review it. IT'S CRAP!!!

Numerous times it states that the protector is "convex". Sorry Bill, my Visor is flat. He never mentions the "optionality" of the tab, which is clearly part of the patent. His patent says the protector is attached to the screen by adhesive strips. Apparently, his own screen protectors aren't even covered by his own patent, because there are clearly no "adhesive strips" on them.

The patent says "My invention resides not in any one of these features per se, but rather in the particular combination of all of them herein disclosed..."

That's right, the PARTICULAR combination of a convex protector, with a tab, with adhesive strips.

Not even Bill's Visor screen protectors meet that criteria.

I avoided getting into the merits of his patent early in this thread, and focused more on his heavy handed attempts to protect it. Now that I've reviewed the actual patent, his ridiculous and down right spiteful and malicious attacks of people like RClayton aren't laughable anymore. They should be considered slanderous, defamatory, and harassing.

Ryan, I hope you sue his a$$ off.
    Attention All,
    I have just finished placing a patent on the letters 'A' 'C' and 'L'. My family developed these letters thousands of years ago. Can you blame me for protecting my family interest? You are hereby prohibited from using these letters;
    From here on a sentence like;

"The attack against Ryan Clayton's Ebay auction was unwarranted and the act of a man afraid of the competition that a free market provides."

Should now read;

"The ttk ginst Ryn yton's Eby ution ws unwrrnted nd the t of man frid of the ompetition tht free mrket provides."

Please adhere to my patent or I will set my pack of harvard lawyers on you and your first born.

thnk you ll
    pezpunk

Ps; Sorry I just can't resist this, it is the funniest thing I've ever read. I can't belive this guy actually exists and considers himself a "Businessman"! I wouldn't support him.

[This message has been edited by pezpunk (edited 06-02-2000).]

[This message has been edited by pezpunk (edited 06-02-2000).]
    Everyone! the ultimate screen protection is.... BUBBLEWRAP!
    :-)
    Actually in all honesty, Clear Vellum from our print shop here is working out well, better than the transparency film I was using, the only hitch is that it is thicker than most of the other stuff I have used, and kind of a pain to get it to slide under the case edge. I would assume that ANY print shop would have Clear Vellum, its whats used to cover reports, and if you are really into colors its available in all HS colors!

[This message has been edited by Guido (edited 06-03-2000).]
    It looks as though Mr. Warman has (ever so slightly) spruced up his website. And someone please call the folks at Guinness. The home page has the word "patent" 14 times!
    Originally posted by SCM:
    As I look back at how many posts we've accumulated of this thread, I'm finding myself a little concerned that we are defeating our very purpose. Mr. Warman has a small company that is rather unknown. When the average PDA user thinks of screen protectors, they are not thinking of VSPS because most have never heard of it. But we are providing Mr. Warman with a whole lot of free advertising. Yeah, it may be "negative", but, in advertising, there is no such thing as "negative" advertising. It is all about name recognition. For the next few months, many casual readers of this thread may not consider buying this product, but how quickly will they forget the theme of the thread and only remember the product's name? We see all the time in politics how short the public's memory is! Could that partly explain why Mr. Warman appears every time the thread appears to be dying out?

Just a thought....

Stephen

PS: Since I am the guy who misspelled his own name in his first posts, I have to ask that we not get to critical of the grammar and spelling in this thread!!
    I agree
    See comments at http://www.vsps.com/comments.htm
    Thank You
    Bill
    Originally posted by Cerulean:
    Could someone explain to me why a Visor/Palm screen protector falls under Mr.Warman's patent? He clearly points out that the device he "invented" has a tab for easy removal. My WriteRights and custom made screen protectors (along with many of the custom screen protector discusssions on this board) do not have a tab extruding for easy removal.

For anyone that doesn't know, IBM has a Patent server that provides easy searching of Patents. Mr.Warmans is located at the following URL:
    http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?&...&s_drwd=1#drwd

Joe
    The correct Ibm URL is http://www.patents.ibm.com/details?&pn=USRE035318__
    Bill Warman
    (changed my mind on this post - deleted)

[This message has been edited by narnia_77 (edited 06-04-2000).]
    Originally posted by pezpunk:
    Mr. Clayton,
    I herby command you to stop using the term "Boycott". I have a patent (83,296) on the word and plan to enforce it! I intend to also restrict and go after anyone using variations of the word such as 'boy','cotton',etc. etc.
    Furthermore, I have patented the idea for the Bulletin Board and am herby requesting the closing of this discussion group or you will suffer my wrath!
    Have a good day.
    pezpunk
    From your leader: Ryan Clayton
    [This message has been edited by JHromadka (edited 06-04-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Inventorb (edited 06-05-2000).]
    Sorry Bill, your attempt to highlight some kind of duplicity or hypocrisy on Ryan's part falls flat.

Note that the date of his email, 5/9, coincides with the start date of this thread, before he knew anything about your tactics. Ryan launched his boycott page on 6/1, after you threatened him with litigation.

How about this: why not post the responses you've received from Concept Kitchen?

[This message has been edited by Gameboy70 (edited 06-04-2000).]
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast