Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by mchlwise:
    Mgessour: You say you want the guy to stay in business - unfortunately, after a little research about this guy, I would have to disagree, and hope he loses his shirt. He's put other people out of business (by demanding a licensing fee of $5,000.00 plus royalties of $5 EACH SHEET SOLD) and he's sicked his patent attorney on people who are using cut vinyl for their screens.

When I first saw his site, I also thought he was just a little paranoid, and might have bought his product. But to viciously go after people like that is ridiculous. I understand protecting your patent, but c'mon! We're talking home-made screen protectors!

What's next, AT&T coming after my string and tin cans? The guys a kook!
    This is why America is so great. We all can express our feelings openly, even if you are
    Dead Wrong.

[This message has been edited by Inventorb (edited 06-20-2000).]
  2. Six
    This is why Canada is so great. We're actually protected against most insane actions akin to what we are witnessing here.

This is the first time I'm putting a personal attack in a bulletin board post, and I certainly don't want to ruffle feathers in our peaceful and kind Visor community, but some people are just downright out of line. James, if you don't want flames, I won't take it personally if you remove my post :-)

Six

Mr. Warman makes his appearance!

No, "Sir", I haven't read your contract, I just went to the link posted by Winchell and poked around enough to see that you and the attorney hide behind need to relax a little bit and let the free market system work.

If you have a superior product, as mgessour says you do, it will rise to the top. You don't have to run around using your "patent infringement" attack against your competitors.

Unfortunately because you did (and I can only assume will continue to) you have lost my business.

Mgessour - nothing against you, I'm sure the product is as great as you say it is. I just can't support the guy making it. Too bad, actually.

------------------
    Hmmmmmmmm......
    Mr. Warman makes his appearance!

No, "Sir", I haven't read your contract, I just went to the link posted by Winchell and poked around enough to see that you and the attorney hide behind need to relax a little bit and let the free market system work.

If you have a superior product, as mgessour says you do, it will rise to the top. You don't have to run around using your "patent infringement" attack against your competitors.

Unfortunately because you did (and I can only assume will continue to) you have lost my business.

Mgessour - nothing against you, I'm sure the product is as great as you say it is. I just can't support the guy making it. Too bad, actually.

mchlwise
    If someone was stealing from your family on a regular basis.
    Would you be upset with them?
    Would you try to stop the thief?
    Would you contact the police?
    Would you prosecute this person?
    This is what is happening to my family. I do not want your sympathy. But I will enforce
    my patent to stop these thief's.
    Think about it
    Bill Warman Inventor
    I was thinking about this discussion, and thought maybe I should clear the air just a little bit. After all, Six is right, this is a peaceful and kind community, and I didn't intend to start a flame war or ruffle any feathers (except maybe Mr. Warman's). Six, if you're referring to ME as being out of line, please accept my apologies.

mgessour - again, this doesn't really have anything to do with you or your review of the product.

My point is simply this:

Screen protection is a good idea. It doesn't take a genius to come up with it. If Mr. Warman has a specifically unique product with a patent on it, good for him. That's not a license for him to go around heavy handedly attacking (and threatening through his attorney) whoever he feels is remotely infringing on HIS patent.

It is competition that really made this country great (along with free speech, of course ). If I come up with a product simmilar (though not identical) to Mr. Warman's, then I think that HE would be out of line to try to put me out of business (or threaten legal action intended to do so). If I spray adhesive on a piece of plastic and then stick it on my Visor, is it reasonable for him to have his attorney come after me? I really don't think so.

Mr. Warman needs to relax. I think the way he and his attorney have gone after people in the past is wrong (see http://hometown.aol.com/gspeno/palmpilotprotect.htm for someone who Warman has put out of business). So wrong that I can't support him by buying his product, and I hope nobody else does.

Now, can't we all just move on?

------------------
    Hmmmmmmmm......

[This message has been edited by JHromadka (edited 05-29-2000).]
    Donald J. Lisa Attorney was a partner in the Law firm of Kenya and Kenya New York
    City, New York He has 37 years experience in Patent & Trademarks, Copyrights, and mergers and Acquisitions.
    Don is a Harvard Law School Graduate.
    He also was the Vice President of Motorola.

Thank You
    Bill

[This message has been edited by Inventorb (edited 05-12-2000).]
    Mr. Warman, I was carefully wording my "been thinking about it" post when you responded to me.

I really would rather get on to other things, but let me just say this:

You simply can not be the sole manufacturer and revenue-earner of screen protectors, no matter how intimidating you and your lawyer attempt to be.

People who make or use screen protectors that are not yours are not "thieves", nor are they "stealing from your family on a regular basis" - you need to change your attitude about them.

I will not discuss the merits of your patent, because that's not the point. The point is, your attitude is wrong, and you won't be getting my money because of it.

------------------
    Hmmmmmmmm......
    I was thinking about this discussion, and thought maybe I should clear the air just a little bit. After all, Six is right, this is a peaceful and kind community, and I didn't intend to start a flame war or ruffle any feathers (except maybe Mr. Warman's). Six, if you're referring to ME as being out of line, please accept my apologies.

mgessour - again, this doesn't really have anything to do with you or your review of the product.

My point is simply this:

Screen protection is a good idea. It doesn't take a genius to come up with it. If Mr. Warman has a specifically unique product with a patent on it, good for him. That's not a license for him to go around heavy handedly attacking (and threatening through his attorney) whoever he feels is remotely infringing on HIS patent.

It is competition that really made this country great (along with free speech, of course ). If I come up with a product simmilar (though not identical) to Mr. Warman's, then I think that HE would be out of line to try to put me out of business (or threaten legal action intended to do so). If I spray adhesive on a piece of plastic and then stick it on my Visor, is it reasonable for him to have his attorney come after me? I really don't think so.

Mr. Warman needs to relax. I think the way he and his attorney have gone after people in the past is wrong (see http://hometown.aol.com/gspeno/palmpilotprotect.htm for someone who Warman has put out of business). So wrong that I can't support him by buying his product, and I hope nobody else does.

As for my "kook" comment, I stand by it. From what I have seen, Mr. Warman fits very nicely into the reclusive-nerdy-crazy-paranoid-over protective-inventor stereotype, and I think he needs to get out more.

Now, can't we all just move on?
    If you invented the first FAN and the fan was six feet in diameter. Great !!!
    But one day you was sitting at your computer and decided that a little fan (six inch) would
    help cool you off. You went to buy one and found out their was no such size of fan. You
    can build your six inch fan. You can even Patent your six inch fan. But you will still have to
    pay a royalty to the original Inventor of the FAN. This exact case is a proven one. I
    believe it occurred in Texas. Congress has give these extreme powers to inventors and
    People should honor them.

I like this chat - news page and I have no beef with anyone. I just believe you do not
    understand the Laws of our great country. If you where in my shoes you would
    understand. I guarantee it.

For everyone that has purchased a licensed Screen Protector Thank You.
    For the people that believe in buying Pirated or Infringing Screen Protectors. Well what
    goes around comes around.
    Thank You
    Bill
    Inventorb: "blah blah blah blah....patent....blah blah....blah blah blah you're rubber, i'm glue....blah blah blah"

By the way, if any of you have placed a packet of Post-It Notes (Registered Trademark) in that empty Springboard (another Registered Trademark) compartment, you'll be hearing from my laywer, who went to Yale, had a 3.98 GPA in his senior year, was class president in High School, and won the science fair 2 years in a row (if you'd like a resume, I'd be happy to send a copy your way)....because I have a patent on it.

Remove those Post-It Notes (R) or pay me $5, payable via PayPal (yet, another Registered Trademark).

This wouldn't be final without a Disclaimer: Nothing personal to lawyers, people who were class presidents, people who have won science fairs, people who have gone to Yale, people who have had 3.98 GPA's, and people who should spell the plural of thief as thieves.

Sorry, just couldn't sit back and watch those two have all the fun!

[This message has been edited by Nhatman (edited 05-12-2000).]
    Originally posted by Nhatman:
    Inventorb: "blah blah blah blah....patent....blah blah....blah blah blah you're rubber, i'm glue....blah blah blah"

By the way, if any of you have placed a packet of Post-It Notes (Registered Trademark) in that empty Springboard (another Registered Trademark) compartment, you'll be hearing from my laywer, who went to Yale, had a 3.98 GPA in his senior year, was class president in High School, and won the science fair 2 years in a row (if you'd like a resume, I'd be happy to send a copy your way)....because I have a patent on it.

Remove those Post-It Notes (R) or pay me $5, payable via PayPal (yet, another Registered Trademark).

This wouldn't be final without a Disclaimer: Nothing personal to lawyers, people who were class presidents, people who have won science fairs, people who have gone to Yale, people who have had 3.98 GPA's, and people who should spell the plural of thief as thieves.

Sorry, just couldn't sit back and watch those two have all the fun!

[This message has been edited by Nhatman (edited 05-12-2000).]
    Please except my apologies.
    Bill
    Look. I don't give rat's a$$ about all the posturing here. Could someone PLEASE tell me (Mr. Warman presumably) just what the difference is between the GLOSS and CLEAR versions of the d&%^# product? Don't tell me about the anti-glare version. I don't care about it. CLEAR vs. GLOSS please!

If I could get a SIMPLE answer to that (w/out the attached superfluous email posting each time extolling the product's virtues) I MAY actually go through your horribly designed web site and actually place an order for your product.

Mike
    (who thinks Mr. VSPS doth protest a bit too much, may very well have the law on his side, but would be much better served in the marketplace by getting a 'real' web presence and concentrating on the marketing side. So much money would be rolling in you woon't have to concern yourself as much with (threatened) litigation.

[This message has been edited by dequardo (edited 05-12-2000).]
  12.    #32  
    OK...OK...OK...
    I learned my lesson. It is really amazing how actions can have such unintended consequences. My only purpose was to make what I thought was a good (although less well know than the alternative) product known to other Visor users. The subsequent course of this discussion is really quite remarkably unrelated to this intent. So.....sorry I brought it up. Why don't y'all go onto another topic.
    mgessour - sorry about all this

Mr. Warman -
    Just because Levi Strauss patented the jeans I am wearing does not mean that I can't make and sell "jeans" with a slightly different design on the back pocket and sell them. It happens all the time.

"For the people that believe in buying Pirated or Infringing Screen Protectors. Well what goes around comes around."

Are you implying that my WriteRight is either pirated or infringing on YOUR patent? Concept Kitchen might like to use THEIR lawyers to start bullying you out of your libelous and/or slanderous claim.

------------------
    Hmmmmmmmm......
  14. Six
    mchlwise - ohmygod, no, not at all, I was definitely aiming at Mr Warman. His level of paranoia is amazing, and it sickens me to see how badly the legal system can be used and everybody's money (except the lawyers') wasted.

As for the touching 'stealing from your family' piece... if someone steals from my family, of course I'll react. If you ***** us, do we not bleed? if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? Ahem. Sorry, got carried away, here. Point is, I don't think we believe you're being stealed from.

I'm going with dequardo on this one. If you do have an original idea, make it into a good product, sell it honestly (which, I have no trouble admitting, you seem to have done up to now), and it will work.

I can't stand people flaunting intellectual property left and right. Good, new ideas deserve to be protected. Obvious ideas that have been used for years shouldn't. And I also have a problem with People Using Too Much Boldface And Uppercase.

As for the Congress giving "extreme powers to inventors".. this actually conjured up an image of a crazed professor-type with a license to kill ;-)

Bonne journée à tous.

Six
    I think dequardo said it well.

Inventorb: You have a patent, great. You are allowed to protect it. What I would like to see on your web site and in your posts, however, is less about this all-powerful patent, and more about the product itself.

Your home page uses the word PATENT 9 times. You have two other pages devoted to PATENTS (and one about Bass fishing?).

Yet, I only see one, very small photo of the product, and little to no actual description of the product itself.

So, is this a site about patents, or about your product?

Simply put, please tell us about the product. Forget the Patent for now...that's what your lawyer is for and you don't need to wave it in everyone's face. Let the product speak for itself.

HOW is it different/better that writeRights? WHAT is the difference between the finishes. WHAT is the difference between the adhesives. WHY would I choose one over the other?

Etc...

I have a new product out, and am patenting it just so you thiefs will be warned.

It is a NoDazle. It consists of a plastic film that you place over the LCD screen of an electronic device. It contains a special finish which protects the user of the device from being dazzled (and potentialy blinded) by a sudden burst of light such as may happen when using said devices in the vicinity of a light source.

This film cuts that essential .001% of reflected light that some studies may someday show may be harmfull to some certain people when certain types of light bounce off the device at an angle of between 0 and 179 degrees and directly into the retina of the eye.

I am still perfecting the device since as a side effect of protecting the user from the reflection of this .001% (most essential) it disallows direct contact of the stylus with the screen and thus prevents the user from making decorative engravings (coloquialy called scratches) on their screens.

Untill I do perfect it, I offer all users of this group the opportunity to manufacture their own prototypes of this device so that you may aid me in fixing the problem of the disallowed engravings.

When this product is patented, I will be charging a royalty of 5,000 Martian Zorqualian Susqualins (Preferably in coins with a picture of emperor xzdlysoctrest the Flubrtingitysplts) for each One thousand units manufactured.

That is all for now..
    You thiefs have been warned

[This message has been edited by lcohen (edited 05-12-2000).]
    I hope Mr. Warman's not taking web orders using Amazon.com's patented 1-Click process. By the way, what's Concept Kitchen's role in this? Do they pay him royalties? Has he served them notice?
    Originally posted by Gameboy70:
    By the way, what's Concept Kitchen's role in this? Do they pay him royalties? Has he served them notice?
    That'll explain why WriteRights are so freakin' expensive for such a simple product...they're paying Patent King!
    Originally posted by homer:
    I think dequardo said it well.

Inventorb: You have a patent, great. You are allowed to protect it. What I would like to see on your web site and in your posts, however, is less about this all-powerful patent, and more about the product itself.

Your home page uses the word PATENT 9 times. You have two other pages devoted to PATENTS (and one about Bass fishing?).

Yet, I only see one, very small photo of the product, and little to no actual description of the product itself.

So, is this a site about patents, or about your product?

Simply put, please tell us about the product. Forget the Patent for now...that's what your lawyer is for and you don't need to wave it in everyone's face. Let the product speak for itself.

HOW is it different/better that writeRights? WHAT is the difference between the finishes. WHAT is the difference between the adhesives. WHY would I choose one over the other?

Etc...

[This message has been edited by Inventorb (edited 06-20-2000).]
    excuse me: I'M GOING TO SHOUT!

AGAIN A NON-ANSWER FROM THE POTENTATE OF PATENTS!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE EXPLAIN THE DIFF. BETWEEN CLEAR AND GLOSS. IF CONFUSED PLEASE RE-READ MY POST ABOVE.

PLEASE.

Mike
Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast