Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5101112131415161718192025 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by Inventorb:
    The pleasure is all mine.

I have enjoyed your stupidity. Since the beginning of this thread I have played all of you. Their is an impostor out their and I
    have contacted the FBI and a reporter in
    regards to this matter. This is the reason I
    have responded accordingly. Thank You
    Bill
    OK, I'll bite... I see "VisorCentral Member" under the "Inventorb" name. Are you saying that someone ELSE has obtained your password, and is able to post replys, pretending to be you??? ( ha!, that's pretty good... With these very unusual passwords, I still have to look mine up when I get ready to post... How DO they do it???)

rborek:

Thanks for catching that error...you are right, there is no such thing as an international patent.

What I meant to say is that most of today's countries' patent offices respect the laws of each other and do work in some limited ways to protect the rights of patent holders across borders.

a REALLY basic explanation, mind you...
    Originally posted by narnia_77:
    OK, I'll bite... I see "VisorCentral Member" under the "Inventorb" name. Are you saying that someone ELSE has obtained your password, and is able to post replys, pretending to be you??? ( ha!, that's pretty good... With these very unusual passwords, I still have to look mine up when I get ready to post... How DO they do it???)

You can change your password to something easier through the "edit profile" option. If the Warcreature did that, it _might_ be possible for someone to have guessed the new one.

There is a simpler way to impersonate someone online, sometimes you are able to add a blank space before or after the name, or add on some nonprinting characters that dont show up, or eve a period or something after the name that wont be noticed. And Im sure this case will be immediatley pushed up to the top of the FBIs things to do list. Oh, wait, they cant, they cant read the list through the scrached up surfaces on their visors. Course, I dont think this really counts as impersonation, since your saying youre "bob " instead of "bob". Its not the posters fault if you dont notice the different spelling. Although it can be annoying, the general the easiset thing to do is inform people than ignore it.
    Well if you change the password to something well associated with you it could easily be guessed... say like if you changed it to 'patent' or something.
    Just a matter of clarification. Patent law is federal law. It is the jurisdiction of the federal courts. Harassment, assault, and other such activities are a matter of state law and under the jurisdiction of the state courts. Moreover (that's lawyer talk for I'm going to tell you something else you probably don't want to know), every state has different laws. So it may be important to decide which member of this board should pursue Inventor Boob, since the state of domicile may determine the applicable law.
    I have been watching this thread with a great deal of interest. I joined in to offer a possible situation which would possibly explain some of the strange behavior. This is only a guess. I have no inside knowledge that is true. There is precedence for such situations. Follow with me if you will, again this is purely a guess and just a hypothetical situation.

Company CK (to be known as CK) develops and begins marketing a product. Company IVB (to be known as IVB) determines that CK is in violation of his patent. IVB sues CK for patent infringement. CKs lawyers discover that the patent is weak and they find that they can possibly get the patent declared invalid. IVBs lawyers are aware that the patent is threatened. (Patent law is not always black and white) All of this lawyer work is costing both CK and IVB money.

Some background:

Company CK is a good marketing company and has placed their product in many retail outlets and it is selling well.

Company IVB is not a strong marketing company and is fairly unknown in the marketplace where the product is sold.

Companies CK and IVB reach an agreement, not what either wanted but suitable for the purpose. The agreement has several parts:

1) It is agreed that CKs product does not infringe in IVBs patent.
    2) CK will not seek to have IVBs patent invalidated
    3) CK and IVB will not discuss the agreement in public
    4) IVB must vigorously defend the patent (already required under patent law)

There may be other parts of the agreement but that would be the basics. Why would they agree to do this?

CK is a better marketer, in fact they have been the leader in developing awareness of the need for the product by consumers. By developing a market, they have increased awareness and sales for IVB. They are vulnerable however to someone with even better marketing skills developing a similar product. IVB makes more money from increased sales of its own product than it would have without the marketing strength of CK. IVB still holds and defends the patent to keep any additional potential violators away. The market for the product is so small that too many marketeer's would mean no profit for any of them.

Make no mistake, CK and IVB do not like each other. The agreement prevents them from saying certain things about each other so what we hear or see appears strange.

I can not say that such a situation exists in this case. You be the judge, read the posts from the various parties involved and decide for yourself.

footski - out

Originally posted by homer:
    Where did you find repositonal vinyl cling inkjet media? That sounds interesting...not just for screen protectors. (Of course, if you purchased the from a business online, keep it to yourself, as we don't want Mr. Warman picking on any other innocent souls.)

I know you can get it at Best Buy, i believe it's made by international paper or hammermill as part of their "invent it" line. You get 10 8.5 by 11 clear sheets for about $14. You can also call your local kinkos (i work at one) and ask if they print on clear cling media for the oversize color machine. If they do you might be able to weasel them out of the scraps left over when they cut out the prints. Scraps are usually at least 8.5 wide

here are some links http://www.internationalpaper.com/ou...nvent_it.shtml

Have fun,
    Joshua
    Originally posted by footski:
    I have been watching this thread with a great deal of interest. I joined in to offer a possible situation which would possibly explain some of the strange behavior.
    YES!!!! This is giving me chills, it's so brilliant...

As a matter of speculation, would it be a violation of such an agreement if IVB were to go around saying things like "CK is making me a lot of money" and this allowed someone, call them F, to figure things out and make the situation known to large numbers of highly interested people?

[This message has been edited by bandersnatch (edited 06-09-2000).]
    Seeking to declare a patent invalid is not for the weak of heart. The patent office does not like the idea it made a mistake. Often even if you are right, you do not win. This(and money) is why such agreements as I outlined previously are made.

footski
    HEY!
    ANYONE TRY THE OLIVE OIL ON THIER SCREEN YET???

You don't need a screen "protector" just use some olive oil! it works!!! I use it, its cheap, and there's no fuzzy crap to see through! TRY IT!

Here's my post FYI: (with instructions for those who need...)
    http://discussion.visorcentral.com/F...ML/000178.html

Olive oil on your screen does indeed reduce friction ( like in an engine ) and also doesn't put scratches on it! Mine is 99.99% scratch free!!! Thanks to using olive oil! I hope you all take me seriously about trying this. I'm sure you'll all be satisfied! I did think all the comments were kinda funny about this whole ordeal with trademark/patents/etc...

Good luck and let me know how you like the olive oil on your screen!

Hardwire

p.s. in my opinion which i have trademarked, ;P lol I think that any patent on some cut out, specific size, piece of plastic is lame!
    Originally posted by Di'kata:
    Well if you change the password to something well associated with you it could easily be guessed... say like if you changed it to 'patent' or something.
    <snicker>

Thanks bandersnatch, I didn't even THINK of changing my hard-to-remember password...(duh!)

<<There is a simpler way to impersonate someone online, sometimes you are able to add a blank space before or after the name, or add on some nonprinting characters that dont show up, or eve a period or something after the name that wont be noticed.>>

lazarus, I thought of that too, but I looked at all the "Inventorb" posts, and they all had the same count for the number of posts. He's just full of it... UNLESS it's his *other* personality pretending to be him... Besides, why whould we want to make him look bad - he's doing just fine all by himself.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I do not understand why people buy these? I have been using the same thing since I got my Cassio. I tried those Writeright and threw them away after using one of them. If you buy a box of 8 1/2 x 11 Transparency sleeves ( I use 3M) you can cut out many of them. cut a template out of a manilla folder that is slightly bigger than the screen. The protectors can then slide under the inner lip to cover the "whole" screen. It wont leave that thin dirty border around where the "sticky protector use to be. There is no need for them to stick. They stay in fine. Give it a try. I'm still on the same box and they are really clear.
    If a company called IVB said a lot of things about CK but nothing about lawsuits or actual patent issues it would seem strange.

If IVB threatened companies other than CK, it would seem strange.

If IVB has gone to great lengths to assure it is known IVB has an active patent it would be a clue.

footski
    Originally posted by footski:
    If a company called IVB said a lot of things about CK but nothing about lawsuits or actual patent issues it would seem strange.

If IVB threatened companies other than CK, it would seem strange.

If IVB has gone to great lengths to assure it is known IVB has an active patent it would be a clue.

footski
    Footski, my hero,

Would it be legal for two hypothetical companies to behave in the manner you describe? I suspect it is, but am curious about the reasons for secrecy. If it were to become known, would it strengthen the position of other potential challengers?

bandersnatch
    Wow. I haven't seen a discussion thread this vituperative (and, therefore, interesting) since I was in charge of AOL's Atheism Board. Here are my two cents, for which I demand a 15 cent licensing fee from anyone who reads this text (sorry, it's too late, you already owe me):

Footski's theory makes a lot of sense. Even if it's true, however, Bob the Inventor's legal actions against competing companies still amount to an unethical (even if legal) business practice, but one that is practiced thousands of times a day in America.

It's similar to what is referred to in consumer protection law as a "SLAPP" suit, a "Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Partcipation." In this case, one entity (usually a large corporation with endless resources) sues another entity (usually an individual with few resources), as a method of silencing the second entity's First Ammendment right to criticize the first entity. The lawsuit can be entirely baseless; that's not the point, because it's never meant to come to trial. It's a simple case of "we have more money than you, so shut up or we'll make your life miserable." Unfortunately, in most cases, this works. (To see an example where it didn't, check out http://www.spanner.org/mclibel/)

In this case, the same technique is being used as an anti-competitive business practice. The small businesses that Bob attacks don't have the legal resources to fight his claim, no matter how weak the claim may be. He can put his competitors out of business with a single letter, because no one wants to risk bankruptcy by fighting this guy.

BTW, I don't think anyone has mentioned that Bob seems to be building a pyramid scheme, "allowing" kids to cut pieces of plastic into rectangles in exchange for a cut of their profits.

A final note to Bob: My Coleman Brand wristwatch came with a peel-off plastic cover over the face; also, my Audiovox cell phone has a removable plastic cover too. You should sue those guys.

------------------
    Erik David Even

"You have to know that
    someday you will die.
    Until you know that, you
    are worthless." Tyler
    Durden
    To All:

Avery Window Decals
    Stock number 3276

6 sheets to a package. Perfect low-tack window 'protector' for my Visor Graphite Deluxe 'Window'

Folks,
    About repealing the patent, I really think someone in a position to pursue this should take the ball.

A patent lawyer that is, or someone who's in a position to avail of the services of one.

Should that require putting together a fund of some sort, maybe we can setup something in the boycott home page.

I don't know what this entails, forming a non-profit perhaps that can take charge of the fund and renumerate the lawyer needed to pursue this cause in earnest.

Could a legal professional chime in and guide us here?

Where do I sign? Where do I send my contribution?
    Originally posted by BrainMan:
    Well, I was really, really shocked by all this. So, I went and checked out inventorb's (Warman's) website. I also found the patent filing on IBM's intellectual property/patent site (Actually, I followed a link to it.)

[Editor: snipped long quote. Please do not quote long postings]

P.S.
    I find your website's aesthetics to be that favored by schizophrenic five-year-old hyenas. That is my critical analysis of your website, and is protected by First Amendment rights.

***New Mail***

"I wondered when these morons would wake up and smell the coffee!
    The concussion that you are the one and only owner of the patent on any and all screen protectors is the only conclusion any one
    with any brains can come to.

I disagree with their personal opinion and attacks on you, but considering the source looks like sour grapes. These kind of people is why patent laws were written in the first place.

Hopefully they will now give up this stupid, pointless, groundless boycott."

[This message has been edited by JHromadka (edited 06-09-2000).]
    Originally posted by Inventorb:
    Finally:
    Someone that can actually understand the claims of a patent.
    I commend you and your efforts.
    Now would you like to have a civil conversation regarding a better screen protector?
    After reading this and your last posting, I have to wonder when are you going to talk about your product and not your patent.