Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    yeah, that seems about right, sonys not so out of its mind as to price the thing so high in the US. Theyre smart enough to know that its over-$500 prices that what killed Windoze CE. Im easily willing to pay 400 dollars for it, maybe even a little more if the screen is better than palm IIIc
    This reaffirms my cynicism about the unit. When news of the PDA was first leaked, Sony was claim that it would be color and offer wireless internet access for under $200. I laughed, knowing that was extremely unlikely. Then they dropped the wireless internet part and said it would offer enhanced audio capabilities. When I saw the prototype form factor (the dimensions of which are "subject to change" according to a Sony press release) I knew there was no way the audio was going to happen. Now we see that Sony's dropped the under-$200 objective.

How many failures will it take before companies get it through their head that PDAs over $300 simply do not have mass-market appeal with America (the Palm V being the sole exception)?

Here's another prediction: when the unit finally ships, expect the form factor to be longer or wider than the mock-ups we've seen.
    Originally posted by Gameboy70:
    Now we see that Sony's dropped the under-$200 objective.
    we haven't really seen anything yet...as explained earlier using the japanese prices is pointless right now...we'll just wait..i don't think Sony has become the company it is by blindly introducing products without some sort of market research.
    Hoser:

My mistake. I missed the earlier post about the price conversion. Still, I seriously doubt it'll be released for under $200. I should point out that I don't think the unit, whatever its final manifestion, will be a piece of junk. I'm a Vaio user and Sony fan myself, and I'd really like to be able to interchange Memory Sticks between my laptop and PDA; I'm not wedded to the Visor.

In the meantime, here's another picture to drool over:
    Taki pretty much did it for you, but this is what I got out of it. I took a year of Japanese last year (planning on taking the next 3 years in HS too)--this is all I could get from it. Yes, I do have Japanese Text Support for IE--that's how I could get it.

[sorry had to correct image tag]
    ------------------
    -Vinny

I'll pack my bags I swear I'll run, wish my friends were 21

[This message has been edited by Vinny (edited 07-14-2000).]

Originally posted by Gameboy70:
    Hoser:

In the meantime, here's another picture to drool over:
    i'm drooling! cool! where'd you find this? Check out the additional little icons on the silkscreen.

7.    #28  
    Looks sexy, color screen, smaller than my visor. I want it bad, if its really gonna cost $550 here im afraid im gonna have jump off my roof head first though :-(
    Hoser:

I found the Sony picture on the Beeb:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci...000/832207.stm
    Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA:
    Check this interesting picture:
    http://www.go2mac.com/image.cfm?image=images/palm/SonyPalm_intro/groupI/ComparisonV isor.jpg
    sorry to quote myself, but i just noticed the different graffiti silkscreen on the Visor pictured....Is this change required for graffiti with the Japanese language? (the sony pda has the same general layout)
    Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA:
    sorry to quote myself, but i just noticed the different graffiti silkscreen on the Visor pictured....Is this change required for graffiti with the Japanese language? (the sony pda has the same general layout)
    I believe so, it may just be a translation of the pictures.

------------------
    -Petro
    Go to The Hunger Site and help eliminate hunger!
    All you have to do is click one button! No catch, no personal information requested!!
    Please go once a day! Every day!

[This message has been edited by Petro (edited 07-17-2000).]
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12