1.    #1  
    By now, I'm sure that most of you are aware of Bill Warman's predatory "enforcement" of his alleged "plastic screen protector" patent.

Through the discussion at Mixed: Off Topic
    [ http://discussion.visorcentral.com/F...ML/000173.html ]

various people wondered how such a simple "invention" could be granted a patent. More importantly, however, countless VisorCentral readers were shocked at Mr. Warman's unethical "enforcement" of the patent, and his constant bullying and harassment of "violators" (i.e. those who sell their extra WriteRights™ on eBay...)

Is there anyone here who seriously would consider challenging Mr. Warman's patent?

I think most people here should have figure out long ago that if he wants to be a dumbass we should just let him.
    To challenge a patent, you pretty much need a patent attorney. And,needless to say, they aren't cheap.

Unfortunately, that is how the system works. It tends to favor those with the money and power, but so it goes, I suppose.
    Why challenge? Best way to deal with this is to make you own. I have a huge problem with Warman's attitude, but I'm also stupified as to why a piece of plastic is $2...
    I agree. I think few, if any of us, would want to devote the kind of resources necessary to challenge a patent, regardless of who holds it. Concept Kitchen will clean that mess up.

What we need to do is simply avoid supporting his product. He's a man devoid of moral integrity, and as such, does not deserve our business.

Originally posted by MIKE STH:
    Best way to deal with this is to make you own.
    Agreed. My DIY clear vinyl ones cost me a whopping $0.0111 each (a 12 x 54 piece of 8 gauge clear cost me $0.94 (that's at retail) and it will yield approx 85 "scratch preventers"). In a recent post over in THE THREAD he claims that "0.15 isn't going to break anyone". That's a 1500% mark-up just for his royalties!

The best "challenge" I can think of is to use or buy other alternatives.

------------------
    MarkEagle - Ice is nice!
    The full text of the Warman patent is at:

www patentstorm us/patents/5132588/fulltext.html

The claims are very narrow, and the typical screen protector for a PDA does not violate the Warman patent. The essential claims of the Warman patent are for a screen protector that is (1) tabbed, (2) convex, (3) adhesive-mounted, and (4) intended for devices that are exposed to weather, e.g. fish finders. The typical PDA screen protector is not within any of those claims.

If you read the widespread posts on this patent, it's obvious that the attempts to assert this patent and seek royalties from PDA screen protector manufacturers and dealers is a scam.
    ... Did someone really revive a thread from 9 years ago? Wow.
    He must have a vested interest or has been affected by Warman's claim.
    Regardless... I thought the entire US economy was based on patenting of this type.
    I see that a couple of years ago, Protech did file a challenge to Warman's patent...but evidently Warman bought them out by licensing his patent to them.

It is true that patents (as originally conceived) facilitate invention; but as patents have been applied in recent years, they have exactly the opposite effect (e.g. someone with a patent on fish-finder screen protectors can chill innovation with respect to PDA's and phones).

The Warman patent is but one example. Ten years ago, someone sought (and got) a patent on "windowing" as a way of solving Y2K (despite extensive prior art including some of my own), and tried to hold up all of American business.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    Regardless... I thought the entire US economy was based on patenting of this type.
    No, only the worst part of the US economy is based on patenting of this type. Patenting in general is good for business as it protects a new idea from being stolen before the creator can make a reasonable profit from it. When it becomes bad is when people abuse the system by trying to make their patents so broad that they're just looking to extort money from other people who are actually making things.

And to the thread reviver, there is a special place in Hell reserved for bringing the name of Warman back into the public consciousness.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    bringing the name of Warman back into the public consciousness
    Very few things send shivers down my spine... that name is one of them.

"You have been warned!"
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by b1lanceman View Post
    I think most people here should have figure out long ago that if he wants to be a dumbass we should just let him.
    Wow! That's the infinite wisdom my wife adopted for me years ago.
    • Did you find he who shall not be named's web site (www.vsps.com)? Off of the main page there is a "License Information" link which gives terms.
    • It is my understanding that this is a US only patent , so international sales would be OK. (but IANAL).
    • Wait till the patent finally expires. From what I can tell it is either Jul 19, 2014 (20 years after filing) or Aug 27, 2013 (17 years after issue).
    Last edited by potter; 04/22/2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: I will not up HWSNBN's link count.
    I took a look at Bill Warman's web site (www_vsps_com)... it is truly disgusting that someone could step in on someone else's innovations by making shaky claims to extend a patent on fish finder protector screens. IMHO, PDA and smartphone screen protectors are not within the scope of Warman's patent claims for many reasons, and I think it is astounding that eBay and others are being intimidated into respecting what are clearly invalid patent claims. The same logic that allows Bill Warman to seek to extend his patent on fish finder screen protectors would seem to allow Bill Warman to assert that his patent prevents restaurants from serving fish sandwiches.

People like Bill Warman give patents a bad name (along with the guy who claimed a patent on hyperlinks).

Are there plans to have a worldwide party to celebrate the expiration of this dubious patent?