1. mtn
    So I visit StreetTech today for the first time. And the first link I click on is a review of a little device called Cybiko. Seems like it could give Handspring a run for its money in the teen market.

In my brief reading about this device, it surely is not as powerful as a Visor, but it's cheaper than the cheapest Visor or Palm, has a CF slot, and basic utilities. It's only got 256k of memory, a 4-level grascale 160x100 display, and no stylus data entry (it includes a small qwerty keyboard, but cool factor seems pretty high.

I've been out of school for a long time, but this would be a lot of fun if I was still there. It's a toy, not a tool, but it's still pretty neat, and it will do enough of what the Visor does that it might be a consideration for some...

------------------
    Mark N.
    What I find interesting is the radio networking. If you have a group of Cybiko's within about 150 feet of each other, they automatically form a wireless local area network, with chat rooms and everything.

Sure beats the heck out of passing notes in class.

Of course, there is the spectre of cheating on tests. While you take the test, you can communicate via Cybiko with your partner in crime, who is in the library or on the net busy looking up the answers for you.
    One word: SPRINGBOARD

Originally posted by Winchell:
    What I find interesting is the radio networking. If you have a group of Cybiko's within about 150 feet of each other, they automatically form a wireless local area network, with chat rooms and everything.

Sure beats the heck out of passing notes in class.

Of course, there is the spectre of cheating on tests. While you take the test, you can communicate via Cybiko with your partner in crime, who is in the library or on the net busy looking up the answers for you.
  4. mtn
    One word: vaporware

------------------
    Mark N.
    Wow. I wonder if when we eventually get a RF springboard that we could get this to interact with it. I wonder if this is 802.11 they have or yet another proprietary RF system....

------------------
    -Vinny

"I will eat you like meat" Everclear's Like a California King
    Originally posted by jeff318:
    One word: SPRINGBOARD
    To be more precise: Bluetooth Springboard.

[This message has been edited by Winchell (edited 06-28-2000).]
    I saw he Cybiko in CompUSA last week, looked neat.

I think Bluetooth's range is too limited, something like 3 meters. To get anything more you need to boost power intake and thats only suitable for something that can be plugged into a wall socket.