Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    As far as PC designs are concerned (both UI's and physical boxes) I have heard someone explain it in the automobile approach.

Back in the late 70's & early 80's when the automobile had finally peaked as far as performance and features are concerned, the industry decided to go towards style as a selling point. Just look at the PT Cruiser. It's been selling out at every dealership, apparently because a. it looks nice and b. because its relatively cheap.

The guy said that this is the way computer manufacturers are just beginning to turn now. As our components are finally reaching the point of more than enough processing, video, memory, etc power (well not in MHO, but that's just me), the makers can finally look at getting people to integrate their machines into their decor, rather than hiding them under the desk, through the use of stylish covers and accessories.

This made a lot of sense to me. As someone said previously, America is substance over style (not a bad thing at all!) and since we've now got the substance I guess that sometime in the near future we'll be seeing a more creative approach to the ole beige box that we've grown to hate! (Just promise me....no more translucent covers!!!!!)
  2.    #22  
    Originally posted by LuckyChuck:
    I have heard someone explain it in the automobile approach...
    I think your referring to John C. Dvorak, the well known columnist for ZDNET.

[This message has been edited by foo fighter (edited 06-20-2000).]
    I feel PC style will become more and more common. However, from my experience it seems like most people, when given the option of a stylish system or a more power system will go with the more powerful system (assuming the same price for either).

The reason for this is simple. Even though a baseline system will be ample power for most people, in 3 years, it is obsolete. Purchasing a less eye appealing system will technically extend the usefulness of the purchase.

Until systems become fast enough to where it is instant on, instant application launching, etc..etc..etc.. will style take a backseat. However, I think the manufacturers will need to be aware of when style interferes with operations/functionaility.

Having said this, as with my previous post, I feel that Apple has overstepped this boundry. Sure its nice that they have given style a front seat in their computer design, however, I think with the examples I have pointed out in my previous post points out that the design should not supercede functionaility or interfere with use.

It seems that Compaq is one company that realizes this. While I haven't had the opportunity to dig into one of their iPaq desktop computers, it appears to integrate functionaility, usability and interoperability with style. Above all, it does this at a low price point.

Joe
    style or function is what it mainly comes down to. if you want something that is simply a fad, Imac, if you want something with power and capability, high end PC, G4 what have you

if your totaly power insane like i am. :P
    build it your damn self!

ehehe
    dual celeron 400 over clocked to 600 MHZ each. totaling 1200MHZ! beat that athalon! on a entry level server brd from gigabyte(#1 bad thing about it, it only handles a 100 bus )
    512 megs of ram
    1 13 gig UDM 66 eide(yha it's a dual between win2k and linux only reaons i have it)
    scsi uw3 raid
    5 segate 10 gigers (and still not enough space)
    yamaha 4x8x12x RW drive
    20x plextor (da only way to live is with plextor)
    MS intellimouse explorer (da laser one! talk about shape looks and the best mouse i've ever owned. not to mention the most expencive)
    1 17" viewsonic
    1 21" viewsonic (hey you can't beat viewsonic! they simply rock)
    SBlive platinum wich i hooked up to my old sterio system pioneer deck with a 500 watt amp and 5 way suround sound system (yha i'm an audio file too but i can't stand those stupid computer speakers. especialy the ones on the Imac or the ones bundled with any PC, sorry they just suck!)
    MS natural keyb
    ATI allin wounder agp
    da g crd. :P gammers know what i'm talking about, but i wana switch to an O2 crd. heck duble z buffers gotta be good for games. :P

umm oh yha the asorted stuff
    10/100 nic's(2 of them)
    10/100 switch 16 port
    a multitude of scaners and printers all of which never made me happy with there results,
    a bunch of usb hubs and a whole lot of cable behind this system.
    In fact i got so much stuff i needed to even build me own computer desk,

and befor you try to knock me down i built it all myself and i paid less then most ppl spend on new PIII or athalon systems and i kick the livin $#!+ out of any of them.
    I;ve proven it with all my buddies, i render mpeg live while there systems just swap disk space.

but i'm replcing this system with a new system, found someone who is selling a quad server brd.
    ahahahhahah power is everything. and the more cpu's yha got the better!
    First of all piloteer... a 1000 mhz athlon could beat your system... its not necessarily speed alone but also the architecture... while both celeron and athlon are x-86, newer Athlons and PIII's have the processor cache on die... which makes life a whole helluva lot faster. why in the heck would you need this kinda system power anyways... and most programs arent dual processor compatible either way. SO the dual celerons are just massive overkill

End Note: unless youre running a server... that machine is a waste of money
    oh yeah
    one more thing
    ATI cards for the most part are pieces of C*ap

get a GeForce2 if you want something good
    BORING!

i like the blueberry iMac best....

let's get a little sun? enjoy the real world.
    i'm with you, hoser...

seems to me some of these kids need to lighten up.

yeesh.

------------------
    matty
    i like bananas.
    Originally posted by b1lanceman:
    oh yeah
    one more thing
    ATI cards for the most part are pieces of C*ap

get a GeForce2 if you want something good
    I think he has a GeForce .. "da g crd. :P gammers know what i'm talking about" -- He is powering two monitors..

In anycase, if it isn't in a translucent case with a side opening door, who cares how fast it might be... heh..

Joe
  10.    #30  
    Wow! And I was actually concerned my topic wouldn't get any significant response. You people have some rather heated opinions. Basically, I agree with most of them. You guys seem to have misinterpreted me though. I'm not saying that I would choose style over substance...given the choice I'd probably select a workstation based on value and performance rather than color. My point is; why can't we have both? Is there some reason Dell won't offer me a loaded Dimension system available in a color other than beige? At this point, I'll take a black case, or even gray or graphite (graphite...where have I heard of that color?).

So far, I think PC makers have fallen VERY short in offering more stylish designs to peak my interest. I'm becoming more interested in Apples professional systems, but the current crop of G4s are completely overpriced! Take for example the least expensive G4 model; It has a 400MHZ PPC processor, 64MB Ram, 10GB Hard drive, and DVD ROM...total price=$1600. For that price I can get a DELL Dimension system with an 800MHZ PIII, 128MB RAM, 20GB Hard drive, and DVD. There's no comparison! I think Apple should be shot for offering such meager options at such a high price point.

I'll be keeping my eye on MacWorld NY in July, but for now, there really aren't any standout systems from either platforms. Regardless, I wouldn't choose the current MacOS if you gave it to me. The interface looks elegant, but I agree that the underlying code base is a train wreck!
    Originally posted by matty:
    i'm with you, hoser...

seems to me some of these kids need to lighten up.

yeesh.

LIGHTEN UP?!?!?! LIGHTEN UP?!?!?! ...i think alittle MORE colour is in order....a tan perhaps?
    why can't we have both?
    I think it is because we live in the USA. As a society, we're a pretty tastless bunch. The arts have never had the same weight or sense of importance/pride that the rest of the world seems to appreciate.

A lot of our cities consist of bland urban nightmares with 'cul-de-sac hell' neighborhoods. Walmart is one of the most succesful retailers out there. We buy our "art" at poster shops. We don't support public Art. We don't support public broadcasting. We read USA Today.

Face it, we're ALL about functionality and really couldn't care about style at all.

I'm a graphic designer. It wasn't until my second year of college that I discovered that "art" could actually be a career. All through school (k-12), art and music were always "little extras" in the curriculum. You were supposed to take math, science, english, and, then, if you wanted an easy class, "art."

OK, that's my rant. Things ARE changing in this global market. We are finally appreciative of well-designed products (Target stores, Ikea, Apple, Sony, we recognize architects, artists, etc.) which I think is a great sign of things to come.

13.    #33  
    Originally posted by homer:
    As a society, we're a pretty tastless bunch...we're ALL about functionality and really couldn't care about style at all.
    I agree with that. I think this has much to do with our cultural roots that date back to the 17th and 18th centuries. We come from a long heritage of simple "Puritan" living. Our ancestors believed that style and opulence were tools of decadence...or in some cases..the devil! Rugged individualism is part of our national backbone. It's the hallmark of our success, and our failings. We can be an incredibly bold, inventive, and passionate people...but at times we can also be extremely short sighted and self involved. We often cut off our own noses to spite our face, and fling arrows without giving much thought to the consequences of our actions. This is the result of a "ME" generation; wasteful, selfish, apathetic, yet brilliantly lucid and tough as nails!

Oops! now I'm really getting off topic!

But I do agree that we are seeing a change in design coming in consumer electronics. I can't wait!

I read an article today in the local paper that Compaq is now going to have faceplates with different colors on its Presario desktops.

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com
    Personal Website: http://www.Hromadka.com
    Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA:
    BORING!

i like the blueberry iMac best....

let's get a little sun? enjoy the real world.
    blueberry imac... i think im gonna be sick...
    Originally posted by b1lanceman:
    ... i think im gonna be sick...

kewl! it might add some colour to your biege computer!!
    DAMMIT (excuse my language) COMPUTERS ARENT SUPPOSED TO BE GOOD LOOKING!!! THEYRE SUPPOSED TO LOOK STERILE. WHEN I GET A COMPUTER I DONT WANT WANNA SAY " MAN THIS THING LOOKS PRETTY" I WANNA FEEL LIKE ITS A PIECE OF TECHNOLOGY!!!!

lol
    i dont really have much against good looking computers... but imacs are evil... if youre going to go down the mac road, for gods sake get a G4
    Well, b1lanceman, you've just validated my theory that we, as a society, are tasteless.

That's not a personal attack at you, but rather americans (myself included) in general.

Why does technology have to be "sterile." It should be fun! I think Sony does this best...there is nothing "sterile" about sony products.

Apple IS doing the right thing...they are making computers MUCH more approachable...something that the vast majority of "sterile" computers have had trouble with all along.
  19.    #39  
    Originally posted by homer:
    Apple IS doing the right thing...they are making computers MUCH more approachable...something that the vast majority of "sterile" computers have had trouble with all along.
    I totally agree! What's wrong with adding more style and beauty to computers as long is doesn't impede or sacrifice on performance?

20.    #40  
    Originally posted by JHromadka:
    I read an article today in the local paper that Compaq is now going to have faceplates with different colors on its Presario desktops.

Yes, but the overall case color is still beige. In my opinion the color actually looks out of place against the beige background!

------------------
    ----------------------
    www.palmfactory.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast