1. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    A couple of days ago, my Win98 computer crashed. (Not that uncommon of an occurance!) When I rebooted, the toolbars along the taskbar had turned black. I use alot of extra toolbars to quickly access folders, so the black color is really annoying. I have searched everywhere for a setting to turn it back to a normal color, but no luck. Does anyone have an idea of how to change the color settings on the taskbar?

Stephen
    *Right-click on the desktop and select properties.
    *Click the appearance tab
    *Under Scheme, change it to Windows Standard and click Ok
    That resets your colors to the defaults.

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com
    Personal Website: http://www.Hromadka.com
  3. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    James,

Thanks for the input. That was one of the first things that I tried, but it doesn't work. When I apply new schemes, or even new themes, everything except the taskbar changes as it should. The taskbar around the start button and the clock are the correct color and change colors when I change the scheme. It is only the toolbars, ie the address toolbar and customizes ones for personal folders that are black and will not change. I'm stuck.

Steve

Check the setting for the Scrollbar and 3D Objects color on the Appearance tab of the Display Properties. I've had some trouble with these and Internet Explorer colors in the past. I think it all is connected to the Active Desktop stuff...

Another option might be to simply delete and re-create the custom toolbars.

------------------
    MarkEagle - Ice is nice!

[This message has been edited by MarkEagle (edited 06-15-2000).]
    If it comes down to it then just re-install windows. It really speeds up your sustem and has no negative effects. I do it about once a month or whenever I have a problem, its quicker in the long run.
    BEN
  6. SCM
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Originally posted by BEN:
    If it comes down to it then just re-install windows. It really speeds up your sustem and has no negative effects. I do it about once a month or whenever I have a problem, its quicker in the long run.
    BEN
    Ben,

When you re-install, does this not mess up programs and install patches that have changed the OS? If not, this sounds like a great fix.

Steve
    The updates that you download from Microsoft are still installed when you get through with the re-install. As for programs I 've only had a problem with one program, and it was a freeware that I dl from the net.
    BEN
    Tweak UI has a tab called "repair" which includes a drop-down box for repairing a bunch of stuff -- like icons. That might work.

If you don't have Tweak UI loaded, its available on the Windows 98 CD.