Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just read a ZDNet article discussing movies on the Palm and Pocket PC.

"Palm?!?!" I thought? Sure enough, ActiveSky's product page lists a Palm player as "coming soon".

Though I hardly see how a movie would be entertaining on the Palm (MTIMoviePlayer could've been better, but still...), my interested is peaked.

------------------
    --
    Trinition (trin@one.net)
    I saw this article as well. I think that it will go a ways towards refuting the argument from the PPC crowd that the Palm can't do multimedia. While the current Visors/Palms aren't really ready for streaming video, the next wave will be and the software will be there already!
  3.    #3  
    I wanted to submit this as a news topic for Visor Central to consider posting on the home page, but I couldn't find a way to submit it to them. Are they open to the ./ style of story submission?

------------------
    --
    Trinition (trin@one.net)
    This is clearly an added benefit to the Palm platform, but I think Palm is moving in the wrong direction. Instead of concentrating on video, they should be integrating digital audio (MP3 playback) and ebooks. These are two features that make the Pocket PC worth its weight in gold. I've used the ActiveSky player on my new Jornada, and while it is somewhat entertaining, its not very usefull. The Windows Media Player, on the other hand, is awesome, it sounds as good as a Diamond Rio or Creative Nomad! Ebooks are great as well. The MS Reader application makes text appear almost as good as print.

This is clearly the direction that Palm should be moving to. Simply put, If Palm would build an MP3 player and a *true* ebook reader into their handhels, it would kill the Pocket PC outright!

For me, that day can't come soon enough!
  5.    #5  
    This if off topic for this particular thred, but why isn't there a goood e-book reader for PalmOS? Or is there? It's just software, right? Granted the 'sepcial technocology' that Microsoft uses to enhance appearances of the fonts can't be used on Palms, btu I bet with some sneaky gray-scale anti-aliasing, you could have very readable fonts on PalmOS.

------------------
    --
    Trinition (trin@one.net)
    Thanks for the link! You can either submit a link using the around the web, and if it is good enough, I'll make it a main news item. You can also email me any news items as well.

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com
    Personal Website: http://www.Hromadka.com
    foo,

don't forget, Palms do have e-books. See www.peanutpress.com as an example. In addition, QED, TealDoc, iSilo, AportisDoc, etc. all have e-book ability.

That just leaves MP3 and a few other enhacements lacking. Plus, Palm has it's own advantages. Then again, I think we've all pretty much covered that, so I'll stop here. I don't want to be the instigator of another Palm vs. CE debate.
    How much space do these movies take up on your pocket pc? MP3's take up quite a bit and until Handspring and Palm start making devices with 64 MB+ what use will we have for an MP3 player? I don't care to listen to just one or two songs. On the other hand, streaming music, or movies (when cheap wireless access is available) would be fantastic! I think that both video and audio will be equally important once you can watch streaming media from the internet. What the Palm OS needs is a fully functional media player, like Quicktime. Hey, maybe that's what Apple and Palm are working on. Well, until there is a Palm OS version of Quicktime this Active Sky program looks pretty neat.
    Video? MP3s? Aren't we missing a huge factor here...namely STORAGE?

Yea...it'd be great to have an MP3 player and full video built into the Visor, but where would you store all of this information?

I think the first obstacle is to develop affordable flash storage, and/or get the small hard-drive technologies encased into a springboard.

I'm sure that screen technology is going to be improved, and using the strong-arm processor will certainly enable better media playback, but until we can actually store this media, I don't see the use of wishing for the features yet.
    The trgpro would be the best device for this use. They take flash cards, use the palm os and have a better speaker.....who knows?
  11.    #11  
    Is there going to be a CompactFlash SpringBoard for the Visor?
    Originally posted by Hawkeye:
    don't forget, Palms do have e-books. See www.peanutpress.com as an example. In addition, QED, TealDoc, iSilo, AportisDoc, etc. all have e-book ability.
    Hawkeye, these are technically not true ebooks. These are merely large Palm docs. The term ebook is used to describe the layer of technologies for font rendering technologies that improve text quality on an LCD display. In short, ebook technology tries to make text on a handheld device as readable as printed text. This is an area where the PalmOS falls very short! Quite frankly, there is no comparison to reading a book on a Palm as apposed to a Pocket PC. Needless to say, Palm had better come up with something, and soon!

iSilo and TealDoc are excellent readers, but it's the text quality that counts here.

[This message has been edited by foo fighter (edited 06-07-2000).]
    Originally posted by foo fighter:
    ...these are technically not true ebooks. These are merely large Palm docs. The term ebook is used to describe the layer of technologies for font rendering technologies that improve text quality on an LCD display. In short, ebook technology tries to make text on a handheld device as readable as printed text. This is an area where the PalmOS falls very short! Quite frankly, there is no comparison to reading a book on a Palm as apposed to a Pocket PC. Needless to say, Palm had better come up with something, and soon!

iSilo and TealDoc are excellent readers, but it's the text quality that counts here.
    I've seen the text on a Pocket PC – yes, it is impressive – no argument from me on that point... But I’m not overly concerned about how pretty the text is - as a “I just want to read all the time person”, I just want the text! As long as I can read it, I’m a happy camper.

This is what a ebook author told a friend of mine: “One day we'll have books …with built-in dictionaries/encyclopedias that illustrate unfamiliar terms, have soundtracks, give you pictures of the main characters and backgrounds/histories of important pieces of the stories. Presently, ebooks are usually just simple text with cover illustrations…”

Until ebooks get this advanced, my Visor meets my needs just fine. (Besides, I can’t do anything with a paper book now, except read the text – not many pictures in my books.) Plus, on my 8mb module, I have 19 novels so far (avg 300 pgs ea.) and I still have room. (For the ebooks from sites other than peanutpress, I just converted them to the Peanut Reader format since I like their reader…) For my money, you just can’t beat carrying around over 20 books in a device that fits in the Palm of your hand.

p.s. A "CompactFlash SpringBoard for the Visor" would be SO cool...

[This message has been edited by narnia_77 (edited 06-07-2000).]
    Originally posted by foo fighter:
    Hawkeye, these are technically not true ebooks. These are merely large Palm docs. The term ebook is used to describe the layer of technologies for font rendering technologies that improve text quality on an LCD display. In short, ebook technology tries to make text on a handheld device as readable as printed text. This is an area where the PalmOS falls very short! Quite frankly, there is no comparison to reading a book on a Palm as apposed to a Pocket PC. Needless to say, Palm had better come up with something, and soon!
    Just becuse the eBooks in PalmOS don't have font rendering doesn't mean that they're not eBooks. That's similar to saying that Windows 95 wasn't a true operating system because it required DOS. It's all semantics. I do agree that the Palm readers ( ) can be improved, but the DOC files they read are still eBooks.

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com
    Personal Website: http://www.Hromadka.com
    The term ebook is used to describe the layer of technologies for font rendering technologies that improve text quality on an LCD display.
    Well this is really just describing higher resolution screens coupled with anti-aliased text. That's an issue of the screen technology and the OS. Some would even argue that ant-aliased text is not necessarily easier to read on an LCD screen. I agree that Palm needs to be thinking about improving the screen technology, but the eBook issue is really not the same thing.

An eBook is just a marketing term for a book in electronic format.
    The real difference is the color screen, black on white is a lot easier to see compared to black on whatever color the Visor screen is.

I've seen the color Palm at my local CompUSA and I really liked it, I'll buy Handspring's the day it comes out.
    Originally posted by Matt Nichols:
    ...I'll buy Handspring's the day it comes out.

I wouldn't purchase any color Palm based device with the current pixel resolution...their aweful! The Palm IIIc display is horribly pixelated! It looks like color mosaic tiles. As the color issue stands now, the Pocket PC is far superior with a res of 320x240, while the Palm OS runs at only 160x160.
    You say that this is first site to offer movie clips, and that redlight.com is the first to offer "adult" content, well, does anyone here remember the Pilot Entertainment Zone (PEZ) ?
    That site had mature content. It was shut down a while ago, but was very popular while online.

also, there was a program that can play quicktime movies that are encoded for the palm (4 shades of gray). I downloaded a 5 minute clip from the simpsons, and it fit into a palm III's 2 Mb RAM, with sound !

Foo said:
    "I wouldn't purchase any color Palm based device with the current pixel resolution...their aweful! The Palm IIIc display is horribly pixelated! It looks like color mosaic tiles. As the color issue stands now, the Pocket PC is far superior with a res of 320x240, while the Palm OS runs at only 160x160."

As a caveat to those reading this board who are unfamiliar with that poster, he is a Pocket PC advocate who lurks on this board trashing the Palm OS. As they say, "consider the source."

Originally posted by SherylKing:
    As a caveat to those reading this board who are unfamiliar with that poster, he is a Pocket PC advocate who lurks on this board trashing the Palm OS. As they say, "consider the source."

Sheryl, I don't appreciate that flatulent label. In no way am I a Palm basher. Quite the contrary, I like the PalmOS, that's why I'm here! That "trashing" that you so eloquently put it is only my concern that the PalmOS is fallen seriously behind other platform operating systems in functionality and design. To be honest, the PalmOS and its embedded applications haven't seen any changes since 1996!

Unless I'm missing something, I don't recall telling readers here that they should stop buying PalmOS based devices! In fact, I'm about to launch my own Palm/PDA web site: www.palmfactory.com Hardly the actions of a Palm "basher"! I have every right to point out "holes" or flaws in a handheld OS, and there are drawbacks to the PalmOS. It's in every Visor owners best interest that Palm make serious improvements to the OS, since the Visor runs on the same operating system. And let me iterate, I have NEVER told any reader here not to purchase a Visor! In fact I've recommended them to several of my friends based on the fact that it (Visor) offers an excellent value in Palm based handhelds.

And yes, I stand by what I said: I will not use any color Palm based device until Palm increases the pixel resolution to a higher depth. The current 160x160 resolution is too low! The effect is painful to the eyes.

Just because you have a narrow, ignorant view of handheld computing devices doesn't mean everyone else here does. So next time, please keep your personal opinions to yourself.

[This message has been edited by foo fighter (edited 06-10-2000).]
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast