View Poll Results: What Age is Good for giving Kid Cell Phone

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 and over (with limited usage; basically for emergencies, no Chatter)

20 21.98%
  • 13 and over (give them something to look forward too. Kids get too much too soon).

23 25.27%
  • 16 and over (and they have to get a job to pay for it)

29 31.87%
  • Kids do not need cell phones (too many stupid people with them already)

10 10.99%
  • Other, please list

9 9.89%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Originally posted by Shin_Kudo
    My little brother, who's 13, just got his first cell. It's a pretty nice phone, but that's because he got it on a two-for-one deal with my dad.

I got my first at 16, and it's bean dead for a few weeks, and I've really realized how hard living without it is.

My car broke down the other day. I wasn't far from home at all. If I had had a cell, I could have called somebody to drive me over to the nearby AutoZone and picked up a replacement for the easily available, inexpensive, part that was the problem.

It was fortunate for me that I'm a car freak, and had all my tools with me, because I was going to the junkyard for a part for another car. I had to spend an hour improvising repairs, followed by a drive, almost completely out of oil, with a smoking engine, to get the part and the oil I needed.

I have one issue with something a lot of people are saying, though. It's not an easy proposition to just "get a job" and buy a phone. I've been trying, completely unsuccessfully, for over a year to get a job, with no luck whatsoever. As a mere high school graduate, i'm no competition for the thousands of unemployed college grads flooding the job market. And I can't get a food job, because all of those are given to fluent spanish speakers, something I am not. All of my friends are in the same situation. There's simply no work.
    hi shin,
    there is no question that in many markets work is hard to find. the unemployment rate under president bush has doubled. but i do have some suggestions for you if you are interested. first, instead of focusing on not speaking spanish, realize you do speak english (ie...that is an advantage...if you can tap it...more on that later). second, i have learned a few things over the years that i wish i knew when i was younger. one of them is, working for somebody sucks. it is far better to either be self-employed or have people working for you. having a "job" is only one way to make money. you can make a business where you provide a service or have poeple working for you. either way...you are ahead of the game. when you work for yourself you often deal with cash...which means more money in your pocket. remember, if you work in an ice cream store and earn $6.00 an hour....your boss only pays you that because you generate at least $12.00 per hour for him ( and usually more). the point is, he makes money off of you. why not keep that for yourself? 3 quick suggestions. offer to do errands and odd jobs for home-bound seniors and disabled people who can't do basic things anymore (charge a minimum of $10. per jour). or you could start a landscaping business. start small. just the street you live on. hire a guy or 2 to help you. work on weekends. charge double what you pay. if your worker wants $80. a day...make sure you have work to cover $160. as you get better, you can grow the business larger. finally, think about tutoring junior high school kids in either math or vocabulary...whichever you are better at. kids in 6th and 7th grade often look up to someone your age a lot....even more than an older adult...because you aren't quite so old yet. tutoring could get you between $12 and $15 an hour. always charge in groups of 5 lessons (5 x 15 = 75 cash). get 2 or 3 kids. then see them once or twice a week. do the math. you are working a few hours a week and earning 4 times or more what you would in mcdonalds....

just some ideas....from some one who has been there....

ps....since you like cars so much, what about fixing old cars and selling them? do it small scale...one car at a time so you don't run foul of the law (being a dealer without a license). but you should be able to make a few hundred off each car you sell. fix and sell a car a month. you will be all set.
    Last edited by southbound747; 01/22/2004 at 10:47 PM.
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
    While good ideas in many areas, a lot of those ideas aren't fesable here in LA. With such a surplus of highly educated people willing to work for low prices really put a damper on a mere high school grad doing anyhting like tutoring. As for Landscaping, we have a practical army of immigrand workers willing to work for less then minimum wage. Also add the fact that, well, I'm not exactly a model student.... A B student under my tutoring would soon be failing!

Now, the car idea is one I like, but there's a problem there, too. If I lived in an area with more useable land, I'd build a nice shop. But, because I'm on a hill, I only have a tiny garage, and no where to keep a project car. Still, though, there may actually be a chance that a couple of my (racing) teammates and I may get a great shop location, where we can open a little business
    While good ideas in many areas, a lot of those ideas aren't fesable here in LA. With such a surplus of highly educated people willing to work for low prices really put a damper on a mere high school grad doing anyhting like tutoring. As for Landscaping, we have a practical army of immigrand workers willing to work for less then minimum wage. Also add the fact that, well, I'm not exactly a model student.... A B student under my tutoring would soon be failing!

Now, the car idea is one I like, but there's a problem there, too. If I lived in an area with more useable land, I'd build a nice shop. But, because I'm on a hill, I only have a tiny garage, and no where to keep a project car. Still, though, there may actually be a chance that a couple of my (racing) teammates and I may get a great shop location, where we can open a little business
    If you're a h.s. grad, and you have no job, are you currently a college student? Ever think of enlisting in the military? It's still a fabulous option for many people. Lots of opportunity for education, and the pay's not bad.
    Originally posted by Insp_Gadget
    "Welcome to the Internet" should be addressed to him. People (all kinds of people) have valid opinions and a right to express them in an open forum such as this.
    You can have whatever opinion you want, but don't expect people to like you for them. Infact I would just be thankfull they don't despise you for sharing them :P

Then again who really cares? Everyone is a dumb@#!, some are just better ones.
  5.    #65  
    Come on you guys, I started a Poll, not a war. We are all indeed entitled to our own opinions and differences etc., etc. but let's try and remember to give each other the same respect we would give to people that we know personally.

As corney as it seems, I sorta see the forum as my extended... tech family (whom I have a lot of respect for).

I know I can't go to anyone in my family for help with downloading a ringer or running software. They would probably think I'm nuts for paying so much for a phone in the first place.

I will say that when I first posted the poll I was interested in the majority opinion on the cell phone issue for kids, but I've learned that there is really NO right or wrong answer, just what's right for you and your kid.... or your future kid.

So let's continue the dialogue if you like, but no need to tear folks down about it. In the end we will do what best suits us anyway.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Originally posted by Alli

If you're a h.s. grad, and you have no job, are you currently a college student? Ever think of enlisting in the military? It's still a fabulous option for many people. Lots of opportunity for education, and the pay's not bad.
    Unfortunately, no. I don't think there's any college that would take me. And, even if there was, I wouldn't be able to keep up with the work. (In any school situation, I get so unmotivated and depressed by the torrent of work that I'm simply unable to force myself to do it, after a month or two....)

And I did actually seriously considert the military. I decided against it because of the current political situation.

But, I'm actually pretty sure that I'm going into Law Enforcement. The problem with that is that you have to be 20 and a half to enter the academy, and I'm three years away from that.

Unfortunately, no. I don't think there's any college that would take me. And, even if there was, I wouldn't be able to keep up with the work. (In any school situation, I get so unmotivated and depressed by the torrent of work that I'm simply unable to force myself to do it, after a month or two....)

shin....you gotta get used to to some realities of life. a lot of life is not what you want to do, but what you gotta do. if you think law enforcemtent...police academy or the military is easier than a community college, you are in for some surprises. how is that your are 16 and have a high school diploma, but don't consider youself able to do college. did you drop out and get a ged? i mean 16 is early to graduate.

and if you don't want to go to iraq, work in mcdonalds, or be smart and work for yourself...you can go in the coast guard at 17 with your parents permission or the merchant marine...but hey....you are gonna work there.

if you want the easy way out (the impression i am getting) then go to el camino college in torrance.
    shin,
    ps...if you do consider going in the military, being a cook in the air force is one of the safer assignments. you are not going to be a grunt carrying a gun on the battlefield like you would if you were a private in the army or marines. and most likely you'd be on a base well-protected by the finest air force in the world. plus if you are able to understand a second language such as a japanese, you could be an interpreter....(listening to transmissions, etc.)
    Last edited by southbound747; 01/23/2004 at 06:41 PM.
    I'm not 16, I'm almost 18. I passed the CHSPE, which is similar to a GED, but it allows you to get out earlier and have a legal diploma instead of the inferior GED.

I can get by fine in Community College, but the classes and atmosphere is as bad as it was in high school. It just doesn't feel like college.

But, also, I've always wanted to be a detective, and I know i'll be fine in the academy. It's when I have to do stuff that I don't really care about that I lose steam.
  10.    #70  
    Thanks for the replies and insites regarding the right age to give a kid a cell phone. We decided to wait until our daughter's 13th birthday.

Unless things change before then that merits it, she will have yet a few more years to contemplate her cell phone and have something to look forward to.

As mentioned before, I came to the conclusion that there is no real right time or age to give a child a cell phone. Each individual and situation is different as well as parenting styles and the maturity of the child are major factors in reaching a decision.

P.S. She turned 10 yesterday and we gave her a hellava fun "Cheetah Girl" birthday party! (see blog site below)
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I gave my son his first cell phone at age 10. While some of you may be questioning why I did that, let me explain.

My son is a great kid, gets good grades, cleans up after himself, always help out at home and other students in his school. He is not the best at yard work but he tries. He nevers gets into trouble, and does what he is asked when he is asked it.

Everything he has, he's earned. He is on a point system, he has chores/tasks/ goals every week/month/year. As long as he hits them, he gets a certain amount of points. He can use them to go to a movie, get an itunes card, buy some candy, buy whatever he wants as long as he has the money saved.

Now this is not ALWAYS the case, sometime he is a little jerk so I have to drop the hammer a little bit and he will get grounded from EVERYTHING is he does not live up to his end of the bargain.

But he earned his cell phone and everything else he has. Nothing was given to him.
    Hurry, the Blackberry just pulled back in front of the Pre Plus.

We need your vote!

March Smart Phone Madness Game 11: BlackBerry Bold 9700 vs. Palm Pre Plus

and, how many of you that said "a kid should have to get a job and buy their own phone" actually have already GIVEN a phone to your kids? I'm tired of seeing elementary kids with cell phones from "mommy and daddy"...
    I think it's just different these days.

When I was 14 or so (not that long ago, only like 98), a cell phone for me was ridiculous. I mean, sure I went out with friends and had football practice, but there was always a payphone nearby when I needed a ride, and my parents pretty much knew where I was the whole time. My first cellphone was when I was 16, when I first got my license, and only for emergencies.

Fast forward 6 years to my sister, and she had a phone at 13. Besides the fact that it's a little bit safer for a guy than a girl, and besides the fact that there weren't any payphones anymore, she just was running around in so many different directions all at once that it was practically a necessity for her to have one.

I think the times are just more hectic, for kids and adults, and kids do have a legitimate need for one at an earlier age than when even I was growing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Hurry, the Blackberry just pulled back in front of the Pre Plus.

We need your vote!

March Smart Phone Madness Game 11: BlackBerry Bold 9700 vs. Palm Pre Plus

and, how many of you that said "a kid should have to get a job and buy their own phone" actually have already GIVEN a phone to your kids? I'm tired of seeing elementary kids with cell phones from "mommy and daddy"...
    lol you on it today huh
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Lots of opportunity to get killed or maimed too. Some people aren't so keen on that.
    There's this really cool old fashioned thingy available in most metropolitan areas; we call it a "newspaper." Try one some day, you just might find it edifying.
    That might depend on the metropolitan area. Newspapers are disappearing all over the U.S. and many of the remaining ones are really just AP reprints. OTOH there are still a few real newspapers such as the New York Times or Wall Street Journal.
    As I stated earlier in this thread, cell phones are outlawed on campuses in this state. I teach at an inner city school where nothing comes as a surprise. One of the biggest problems we have is when the news of a gun goes racing through the school, and every child with a phone hidden in his backpack calls Mom to let her know what's going on and every Mom shows up at school to protect her baby, causing more of a problem than we had with the original gun!
    Kids are bringing guns to your your school and you are worried about a few cellphones? The problem isn't "every child with a phone hidden in his backpack", its the guns. I am very happy to be living somewhere they take guns seriously and not in Alabama.
    I got a cellphone from my parents freshman year in high school because I was staying after alot and it was a convenient way for them to reach me. I got my pre because my parents wanted me to have a phone id actually keep on!
    I think holding them till 16 and making them pay for it is bull because I still dont have a job and Im almost 18 and Iv applyed at 8 different places over the last year. I dont think we 'need' texting but it is so nice to be able to have my dad text me stuff and not call, calling is invasive into whatever I'm doing but being able to look at a message and reply in my own time is amazing.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    At whatever age they can pay for the bill.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast