1.    #1  
    I don't remember where, but I saw a web page that was selling a new Casio watch with an IR port, that you could beam your appointments over from your Visor or Palm. Anyone seen one in action....own one...anything?
    The Casio watch in question is the PCUnite. I posted the info on this board a couple of weeks ago and was surprised at the lack of reaction it got.

There are two models: a $99.99 version with a resin band, and $129.99 vesion with a stainless steel band. I usually don't order products online, but since I can't find it in any stores (even in timepiece stores), I'm going to break down and get one.

[This message has been edited by Gameboy70 (edited 05-10-2000).]
    Gameboy70, I would be VERY interested in a review when you get this watch. I currently use a Timex Datalink, but it doesn't hold enough data. I know that a number of folks take their Palm everywhere, but there are times when it is too cumbersome to carry. That's why I like a data watch. It can go with me anywhere, and it holds enough data to get me by, i.e. appts, numbers, anniversary's, to-do's, and alarms. The Datalink is very limited as far as entering info on the watch itself. It gets all of it's data from the PC interface. I would like to know if the Casio will allow you to enter info on the fly.

Thanks

------------------
    <><
    I'll post a review when I get it.
    I've got one. Through this, I'll say "Visor" instead of "Palm OS Device with IR Beaming Capacity" even though the watch should work identically with a Palm or TRGPro.

The watch itself (as a watch) is fairly poor on features. There is no countdown timer, which is a pain. The alarm cannot be set for specific days of the week, so the "Off to work!" alarm goes off over the weekend unless you turn it off manually. This is a problem unless you want to set up your "Go to work!" alarm as a repeating zero-length appointment on your Visor...

Also missing is a "Synchronize time" feature, which could be quite useful if a GPS module ships (GPS works using hyper-accurate clocks so GPS modules will likely synchronize your Visor to the GPS signal, giving your device unprecedented accuracy.)

I found the watch fairly easy to reset and such. The controls are limited, and there's a lot of the usual jumping-though-hoops that using a device with only ten buttons entails, but given the limits, I'd call the device quite usable. It's nicely made, and attractive. There's a backlight, and a stopwatch.

The screen is split into two parts, lengthwise. The top is an LCD matrix capable of showing alphanumeric characters; the bottom half is a standard digits-only display. The digits only display is very easy to read, and shows the time well. The alphanumeric fonts are not as clear as those on the Visor, and is, of course, tiny.

You need a fingernail and patience to work the buttons.

The watch comes with a CD with a Palm program that enables you to beam Address, Schedule, To-Do, and Memos to the watch and back again. I have not beamed from the watch back to my Visor, as text editing on the watch is, necessarily, an agonizing process of scrolling up and down the entire alphabet ...

Beamed memos are truncated at the first carriage return in the memo, which is clearly a bug. However, I don't feel a major need to read memos on a tiny screen eight characters wide and two lines tall, so I'm content to wait for a bug fix.

I have not experimented much with the to-dos, as they're much easier to work with on the Visor.

The most useful things to synchronize with a watch, in my opinion, are the Schedule and Address books. Casio shares this view, as the watch has buttons which takes you directly to these functions.

The address book is quite clever. Navigation is a bit of a pain, but it does work, and I like the idea of having my address book backed up on my watch in case I have an urgent need to call my boss when I'm out of town and my Visor is broken or something. It's more difficult to use than the Visor's, but I see it primarily as a backup anyway, so this isn't a problem for me. One curious issue is that while it can store multiple numbers for one person, it cannot tell you what the numbers are: I have three numbers for my boss, but it doesn't say if they are his home, work, or pager number. Fortunately, most things like that are easy to identify by area code. The address book does store email addresses or other text as well, but to display them, it needs to use the alphanumeric section of the screen, which means you need to remember which record you have open. This is not an issue, but is a good approach to the limits of the hardware.

Beamed schedule items with alarms are given alarms that fire ten minutes before the time listed. This happens to correspond with my Visor default settings, which is fine. I'm surprised, though, that the beaming application does not have the ability to set the alarm offset on a per item basis.

Beaming Schedule items works smoothly. The default is to send one week of Schedule items at a go, which is more than sufficient in my opinion.

I suspect there is a bug in selecting Addresses to beam. I have been unable to find specific addresses which I thought I selected to beam several times. When I beamed my entire address book, however, I was unable to find any missing addresses. If I were testing for Casio, I'd strongly recommend looking into this.

In conclusion, I'm not going to turn it back in. The synchronization process has bugs, but they are not severe enough to make it unusable. My biggest concerns, honestly, is the fact the watch _as a watch_ has some nasty shortcomings: the absence of a countdown timer is particularly grating. I'd rather have a countdown timer or two than a stopwatch. Also, the simplicity of the alarm is another problem.
    Thanks, John. I think I'm going to stick with my Datalink for now. I don't like some of the shortcomings that you mentioned. Iíve grown dependent on the count down timer app that Iíve loaded on my Datalink, and donít think I could do without it. Although it would be nice, I donít think I need Palm synchronization for now. However, it does sound like the Casio will hold a lot more data that the Timex. Data watches seem to be making more frequent appearances, so I think I will wait to see what the next revision brings.

------------------
    <><
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    LAN MAN,
    Which DataLink watch do you have? 150 or 150S or other?

I am told by most watch dealers that both of these models are discontinued. I believe that these are the only ones that can accept wrist apps. the only other data link watch is an Iron Man model which does not accept wrist apps.

I desperatly want a watch that I can beam my alarms from my Visor over to the watch. I am tired of missing alarms when I don't have my visor within 12 inches of my ears. (ha ha, but not much of an exaggeration!)

The alarm feature is one of the least developed aspects of the PDA, IMHO.

I am sure that an app. could be written for the Palm OS to beam to the Timex DataLink... here is a link to the datalink language...

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Garage/7926/

Anyone else? Comments? Ideas?

[Edited by nitehawk on 12-20-2000 at 06:09 PM]
    have you thought about getting a vibrating alarm module??
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Thanks Hoser,

This would work when Visor is on my belt but not when I leave it on my desk or elsewhere (coat, bedside, kitchen table, purse [for women}, etc.)

Comeon folks, am I the only one who sees this as a weakness that needs to be fixed?
    not a prob nitehawk.

this is how i get around the situation. i have a timex turn and pull ($20 - $50 at your local walmart). I look at my visor in the morning and find the first 'appointment' i then set an alarm for that appointment on my watch. that way i don't have to carry my visor. when my alarm goes off, i get back to my desk and grab my visor and go to the meeting. after the meeting, i look in my visor for the next meeting and set my watch for that time. then i can leave my visor on my desk again. and so on, and so on, and so on!

i understand your concern, but to tell you the truth, it hasn't been a HUGE problem with me. especially after using the method i've described above!
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?