1.    #1  
    All,

IF YOU ARE USING OUTLOOK AS AN EMAIL CLIENT:

Just to let you know that if you receive an email with the title ILOVEYOU from anyone DELETE THE MSG. DO NOT READ IT. This includes using the preview pane. This virus will infect your machine and start to email itself to everyone in your address book or Global Address List (for those of you that are connected to an MS Exchange server for mail). I am currently at a large Gov't. installation and we were pounded this morning with this until we could shut down our Exchange servers. We are currently awaiting a fix from Microsoft and Computer Associates (we use InoculateIT).

I hope this helps someone before they get infected.

Craig

------------------
    -----------------------
    Have Visor Will Travel!
    It is times like these that enjoy being a Mac owner even more than usual! I can just sit back and relax as the rest of the world scrambles to set things right! Ok so maybe some things will have an eventual effect on me, but at least I know my computer is safe.
    Originally posted by visor empowered:
    I hope this helps someone before they get infected.
    Too late, I'm afraid...

We had 23 out of 48 users actually OPEN the file before 8 a.m. . As you can imagine, it was not a good day today . And I don't think tomorrow will be much better unless we're lucky enough to be able to get an update (along with the rest of the world!) for our virus scanners...

------------------
    MarkEagle - Ice is nice!
    I also work for the govt but do not use OUTLOOK for mail, but I do use the calendar feature - I use CCMAIL by Corel, not by choice. I got the virus, but there was no attachment to open. I had to highlight/open the msg to delete it so I hope just doing that didn't infect me. Is there an attachment that is the virus or is it the actual msg itself? Yikes.
    also note that there are allready a couple of mutations of the virus.

One that is really tricky is disguezed (how do you spell that??) as a mothersday gift order confirmation...
    Since it is a order of $300+ most people will get curious/nervous and open the attachement...

So, BE WARNED...

p.s. my company uses lotus notes and isn't affected either a friend of mine uses outlook as was infected. Luckily for him he was reading his mail off-line so he could prevent it from spreading further....
  6.    #6  
    Tookit,

It's spelled: disguised. Hope this helps.

------------------
    -----------------------
    Have Visor Will Travel!
    Originally posted by MarkEagle:
    And I don't think tomorrow will be much better unless we're lucky enough to be able to get an update (along with the rest of the world!) for our virus scanners...
    And the Virus scanner software makers are irritating as well.
    Now you can get a new signature file for the ILOVEYOU virus.
    The copy-cats discovered that if they change the name and move a couple of lines around in the code, the worm has been altered sufficiently so that the new signature file is worthless.

In theory this could never end.