1.    #1  
    IS there a feature for these message boards to ignore particular posters? Specifically Foo Fighter?

I am hoping to ignore posters that only rant and rave about a product they have hardly used, ranting a raving about a product not even availbe to the public, and the diatribes from posters who have hard ons for microsoft products regardless of competitor products, and ESPECIALLY posters who are too stupid to realize why people want to buy a Visor.

2.    #2  
    I am hoping such a feature would also reduce the numbers of posts, I sift through, and to alliviate the sorrow I feel for human beings that confine their lives to being a marketing slave for Microsoft, and to not see posters who - obsessed and very angry at the Palm OS.

I like fruitful discussions of the Palm OS and even Pocket PC, but after reading certain diatribes about the Pocket PC, I knew - it just wasn;t soemthing I was even going to wait until it came out to compare to Palm OS machines.

I wish that there was an ignore feature for whiners and complainers. foo fighter had relevant information and was nice enough to share it with us. In case you weren't aware, Pocket PCs are available to the general public. To be fair to foo fighter, he never said anything derogatory about the Visor. He has one and says he will keep it because it is a good device. He just realized that the PocketPC had more functionality than the Visor. If there is an ignore feature added, it should be for losers who complain about reading perfectly good posts on a newsgroup. (not to mention any names wjgollatz)
    I ran into a similar situation on Pen Computing's board (the Bull Pen); I got into a flame war with someone who didn't like Palm OS devices at all. Just got me seething. Later, I realized I should have had an e-mail flame war with the guy and kept it off the board.

'Course, if everyone sticks to the facts about each device, we can learn quite a bit from a good argument...
    Why can't we all just get along? Its good to have views that differs from your own. As long as there is no Visor/Palm OS basking then the posts by foo fighter et als is fine with me
  6.    #6  
    Ploobers. Foo Fighter providers no relevant information when he ends all posts that the Pocket PC is better in terms of functionality and what not than Palm OS in any post he can sneak it into.

It is absurd to read his posts, and you have fallen prey to the typical bait ans switch tactic.
    foo fighter is entitled to his opinion just as you are. If you don't want to read his posts about the PocketPCs, then don't go to the threads that address this issue. Don't flame him for trying to help.
    Originally posted by wjgollatz:
    IS there a feature for these message boards to ignore particular posters? Specifically Foo Fighter?
    Don't forget Ploobers.
    Alas, there doesn't seem to be such a feature.
    The better Usenet newsreaders have it (it's called a "killfile"), and I feel the lack.
    FYI the word "PLONK!" is the sound of somebody being put into a killfile, as in:
    "I'm tired of reading your inflamatory posts Mr. Troll. ...PLONK!..."

There are some annoying egotisical trolls on certain usenet newsgroups who have to regularly change their account names in order to evade killfiles.

My quote of the day.

"Conflict makes life interesting. Without it, you'd just be complaining how boring things are."
    Holy Hell!

Sorry I didn't jump into the pile sooner, I had no idea this thread was about me!

First off I would like to thank all of you for defending my position in my absence. I've had a great time debating the fine art of handheld engineering. And it seems that most of you have enjoyed these discussions as well.

It should be noted, in my defense, that I never started this entire PocketPC vs. Palm/Visor debate. Certain VC members had questions about the PocketPC, and I responded on the basis of having seen one, and I gave everyone my opinion of them as well as my enthusiasm. The fact is all of us here share a special kind of friendship. We may only know each other by our nick names, but we all have one thing in common...we belong the fraternity of "Techno-Geeks", and "Gadget Freaks". Each one of us has a love affair with PDAs, and lets not forget, that's why all of us surf through discussion boards sharing info with other users. It's all about sharing information and enthusiasm.

I apologize to anyone I may have offended, but as Ploobers already pointed out for me, I've never slammed the Visor as a bad product, on the contrary, I think their cool! In fact just two days ago recommended them to two people who were looking to upgrade to a new Palm handheld. If I didn't like the Visor I wouldn't be here right now. The only thing I've done is attempt to point out the difference in design philosophies that go into each platform. Not only have I NOT attacked the Visor, I've expressed my genuine concern for it's well being in the face of the Microsoft marketing machine. For example, I don't see any significant improvements being made the Palm OS, that's not Handspring's fault because they no longer engineer the OS, but does illustrate my point that the Palm OS is being developed by the wrong engineering teams. Palm doesn't have the same well focused vision that Handspring has, and I'm afraid that could hurt Handsprings long term chances in the market.

As for the Pocket PC, yes I think their awesome! I've been playing with mine for three days now, and I'm loving it more each day. Does that mean I hate the Palm Platform? Not a chance in hell! Just as I pointed out before, there is no wrong or right choice, It all comes down to what the end user wants from a PDA. A PDA is obviously a very personal device. As one reviewer pointed out, the PocketPC is absolutely great!, but has one thing going against it; It doesn't have a religious following that the Palm has, the PPC is just another product. And just as I've said before the PPC will NOT KILL THE PALM! It will however continue to become more popular over time, and will gain more and more market share. There are many consumers who want more from a handheld than a PIM, and that type will inevitably gravitate to the PPC. It continues to be my hope that the PPC will force Palm to take a good close look in the mirror and see what's lacking in their product...and it is lacking! No one knew this more than Handspring, that was the purpose behind bundling improved applications and the Springboard slot.

My only gripe is inexperienced idiots attacking the Pocket PC, even though they have not even used one! Despite what "Sondra the Palm Nazi" at CNET claims, the PPC is NOT CRASH-PRONE!!! I still need to get more usage out of my Jornada before making a final decision, but those so called "Crashes every hour on the hour" simply don't exist! I can't tolerate ignorance! It's quite obvious that she is a Palm user who doesn't want to see here beloved handheld threatened. Even the most negative review I have ever read has not once accused the new OS as being unstable, and yet Sondra the Palm Nazi managed to find a way to crash her PocketPC by playing one of her YANNI albums. Please! If you don't like a particular platform that's fine, but don't makeup unfounded claims like..."Oh, I hear these PPCs crash every hour, they're full of bugs!" Get real! Sondra needs to do a little homework before making one of her rants. I can tell you for a fact that it was the MP3 file she was attempting to play that's the culprit, and the Windows Media Player is not integrated with the OS. It's like you or I saying that Windows 2000 is unstable because WinAmp crashed while playing a track. The two are separate. Sondra Nelson is a ****-poor excuse for a technology journalist. I don't know what lake CNET fished her out of, but in my opinion they should throw her back in! It should be noted that I sent her a "friendly" email telling her she should print out that "lovely review" and use it for toilet paper! CNET is extremely biased against both the Pocket PC and the VISOR!

Also, I've been accused of being a "slave to Microsoft's marketing tactics". I found this one particularly interesting because, on my workstation, I have a partitioned HD with Linux, BeOS 5, and Win2000. Yes, I do use Win2000 mostly, but I enjoy playing with other platforms. In fact even though I, like most, am a PC user I'm excited as hell to see the new MacOS X. I think it's cool! That's why I'm keeping my Visor, I still like the Palm platform. Both the Palm and the PPC each has it's own place in the market.

Lastly, I would like to add one final apology for offending anyone. In the future I will try to keep my comments more upbeat in regards to the Visor, but I won't apologize for the fact the you (wjgollatz) don't like me for having said good things about a competing platform. Just because I have an open mind doesn't give you ammunition to attack me with. I merely shared my enthusiasm with other users, and that was well founded. I've received several e-mails thanking me for the information I've handed out at this and other discussion boards. And to be fair I have just as much right to be here as anyone else. In the future I will pay more attention to the sensitivities to others, but in now way will I make excuses for the ignorance of others (wjgollatz).

It's been fun folks, and I look forward to more open debates in the future.

Cheers!
    -------------------
    Foo

[This message has been edited by foo fighter (edited 04-21-2000).]
    Thanks for that last post Foo, (do you mind if I call you just Foo? Calling people by their full names makes me feel like a salesman- no knock on salespeople, I sell stuff) It's my birthday today and I was trying to find something good to read and stumbled upon this thread and once I saw your name mentioned had to see how you would respond. So thanks for the present. I personally don't have a need for a PPC, but appreciate hearing about them from someone who bought one. I don't take reviews very seriously, because most reviewers aren't as non-partisain as they would like to admit. Reading a review of the latest Porsche written by a "I only buy American" reviewer gets a little boring. Since you went and spent your own hard earned bucks on your Jornada, I'm assuming you wring as much out of it as possible. The fact that you DON'T slam the Visor, but promote both, is nice. Keep it up and remember "People of integrity expect to be believed, and when they're not, they let Time prove them right.".
    Michael
    PS wjgollatz- you do software, why don't you develop the software if you feel there is a need? If there is you'll get rich, and if not- you can always use it!
    You can call it Foo Fighter Fighter!

[This message has been edited by BobbyMike (edited 04-21-2000).]
    Hey!

Thanks for the kind remarks BobbyMike. It's nice to see that the general impression I've made on everyone here(except that one guy ) has been positive.

Oh yes, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
    I for one have enjoyed having foo, Ploobers and other dissidents on board, even if I disagree with them. They've made the BB more colorful, if nothing else. I've certainly learned a lot more about the PPC than I would've otherwise. Besides, it's no fun talking only to people with like minds.
    Agreed!

The last thing I enjoy is talking to people who propose that we gather in a circle and hold hands! Spreading our message of handheld love to the world. Yuck!

--------------
    Foo
  15. mc9
    Um...
    As far as I know, there is a wonderful newsgroup out there called alt.flame or someting like this. I think if somebody really needs to personally attack people, he/she should go there and spare the rest of us.
    I generally like my Visor (except when it locks up from time to time) and I will not think about buying a WinCE device in the next few years but I nevertheless enjoyed the interesting posts of foo fighter and others about the new WinCE devices.
    Hey - let's just keep an open mind!
    Just because I like a steak from time to time does not mean that I have to attack every vegetarian I meet (BTW vegetarian food can be quite tasty...).
    If I am not interested in posts about a certain topic, I JUST DO NOT READ THEM! No need to flame anybody...
    In addition,almost all posts about WinCE were either moved to or directly posted in the 'Off Topic' forum. And posts there are mostly off topic - hence the name...

Anyway, before everybody falls asleap reading my post or asking himself where I am getting at - let's just keep an open mind for people with different opinions. Otherwise life would be too boring ("There is no sense in discussing with you if you don't share my point of view" - a quote from a former teacher of mine... BTW this is calles irony, I think...)

just my two cents...

mc9

[This message has been edited by mc9 (edited 04-21-2000).]
    Let's just join Palms (no pun intended, yeah right) and forget this whole mess. One-sided bulletin boards are incredibly boring. For once, I agree with Gameboy70. Without Palmhuggers like him, we would never have had such good debate. The best thing about these discussion groups is that all points are heard, so if you want to know which to buy, you get all arguments. Everyone who like the PocketPCs seems to agree that the Visor is still a great product. We are just looking out in the market for something that does a little more. The market is different for the two devices. I want something that will play my MP3's now, while letting me work in Word / Excel at the same time. The PocketPC lets me do that, while the Visor doesn't (as of yet). Flame wars are really stupid, so let's not get caught up in one.
    There is no "killfile" or other way to not see post by a particular user, but any new topic has the posters name, so you can just not click on any topic by soandso.

That said, while I am surprised by the numerous postings with much content by foo fighter, he is not doing anything wrong, as he is posting all of the PPC topics to the Off Topic section.

So you can either ignore any postings by someone you don't like, or don't click on anything that has Pocket PC or PPC in the subject.

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com
    Personal Website: http://www.Hromadka.com