Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Cerulean:

Damn. You can get a cheap emachines laptop for that price (PPC + Modem). I was thinking of getting one, but now I am having second thoughts. I think its too expensive. Anyways thanks for answering my questions.
    yardie -- yeah, there is definitely a tradeoff. Given the almost essential need for some type of internet connection, I would think that someone would come out with a PDA with a modem or cellphone connection built in. I mean, how many desktop and laptop systems can you think of that don't have atleast a modem nowadays? For a device like a PocketPC or Palm, I would think it would be a nobrainer to have this so people can have the piece of mind and atleast sync between their PDA and home system (or website) when traveling.
    I jam on built-in modem, Word, Outlook, email, IE...on a HP 680. I type great on it, leave 10 taskbar items open on it for various applications all the time, instantly available, instantly typeable.
    In my bag at all times, eight hours battery. Teamed with a Palm now, a Visor real soon.
    Click here to see how I use the team http://www.interpug.com/npug/articles/pdausage.htm
    Click here to see custom case http://www.pc-room.co.jp/EX-LIMIT/MO.../HPJ680_BB.htm
    The English page for case http://www.pc-room.co.jp/EX-LIMIT/MOBILEPC/E_HPJ680.htm

A PDA bug-in-a-rug like this Camper don't get any snugger than this...When I get Visor with EyeModule and MP3 player in Rhinoskin 2000 case, I'll out-snug even myself.

[actually the 680 is losing it's grip on me, I might do fine with Visor and Stowaway]

[This message has been edited by PDACamper (edited 05-01-2000).]
    PDAcamper,

I looked at a review that indicated the picture quality rendered by the eyemodule was very poor. You might be better off with an actual digital camera, but I can't wait to see the MiniJam MP3 player from Innogear. It looks rather promising.

Does anyone know what the ETA is for the MiniJam?
    ---------------
    Foo

[This message has been edited by foo fighter (edited 04-21-2000).]
    This is a message I posted in the "Ignore feature" topic, I thought it might bare some relevance to anyone I have offended:

...First off I would like to thank all of you for defending my position in my absence. I've had a great time debating the fine art of handheld engineering. And it seems that most of you have enjoyed these discussions as well.

It should be noted, in my defense, that I never started this entire PocketPC vs. Palm/Visor debate. Certain VC members had questions about the PocketPC, and I responded on the basis of having seen one, and I gave everyone my opinion of them as well as my enthusiasm. The fact is all of us here share a special kind of friendship. We may only know each other by our nick names, but we all have one thing in common...we belong the fraternity of "Techno-Geeks", and "Gadget Freaks". Each one of us has a love affair with PDAs, and lets not forget, that's why all of us surf through discussion boards sharing info with other users. It's all about sharing information and enthusiasm.

I apologize to anyone I may have offended, but as Ploobers already pointed out for me, I've never slammed the Visor as a bad product, on the contrary, I think their cool! In fact just two days ago recommended them to two people who were looking to upgrade to a new Palm handheld. If I didn't like the Visor I wouldn't be here right now. The only thing I've done is attempt to point out the difference in design philosophies that go into each platform. Not only have I NOT attacked the Visor, I've expressed my genuine concern for it's well being in the face of the Microsoft marketing machine. For example, I don't see any significant improvements being made the Palm OS, that's not Handspring's fault because they no longer engineer the OS, but does illustrate my point that the Palm OS is being developed by the wrong engineering teams. Palm doesn't have the same well focused vision that Handspring has, and I'm afraid that could hurt Handsprings long term chances in the market.

As for the Pocket PC, yes I think their awesome! I've been playing with mine for three days now, and I'm loving it more each day. Does that mean I hate the Palm Platform? Not a chance in hell! Just as I pointed out before, there is no wrong or right choice, It all comes down to what the end user wants from a PDA. A PDA is obviously a very personal device. As one reviewer pointed out, the PocketPC is absolutely great!, but has one thing going against it; It doesn't have a religious following that the Palm has, the PPC is just another product. And just as I've said before the PPC will NOT KILL THE PALM! It will however continue to become more popular over time, and will gain more and more market share. There are many consumers who want more from a handheld than a PIM, and that type will inevitably gravitate to the PPC. It continues to be my hope that the PPC will force Palm to take a good close look in the mirror and see what's lacking in their product...and it is lacking! No one knew this more than Handspring, that was the purpose behind bundling improved applications and the Springboard slot.

My only gripe is inexperienced idiots attacking the Pocket PC, even though they have not even used one! Despite what "Sondra the Palm Nazi" at CNET claims, the PPC is NOT CRASH-PRONE!!! I still need to get more usage out of my Jornada before making a final decision, but those so called "Crashes every hour on the hour" simply don't exist! I can't tolerate ignorance! It's quite obvious that she is a Palm user who doesn't want to see here beloved handheld threatened. Even the most negative review I have ever read has not once accused the new OS as being unstable, and yet Sondra the Palm Nazi managed to find a way to crash her PocketPC by playing one of her YANNI albums. Please! If you don't like a particular platform that's fine, but don't makeup unfounded claims like..."Oh, I hear these PPCs crash every hour, they're full of bugs!" Get real! Sondra needs to do a little homework before making one of her rants. I can tell you for a fact that it was the MP3 file she was attempting to play that's the culprit, and the Windows Media Player is not integrated with the OS. It's like you or I saying that Windows 2000 is unstable because WinAmp crashed while playing a track. The two are separate. Sondra Nelson is a ****-poor excuse for a technology journalist. I don't know what lake CNET fished her out of, but in my opinion they should throw her back in! It should be noted that I sent her a "friendly" email telling her she should print out that "lovely review" and use it for toilet paper! CNET is extremely biased against both the Pocket PC and the VISOR!

Also, I've been accused of being a "slave to Microsoft's marketing tactics". I found this one particularly interesting because, on my workstation, I have a partitioned HD with Linux, BeOS 5, and Win2000. Yes, I do use Win2000 mostly, but I enjoy playing with other platforms. In fact even though I, like most, am a PC user I'm excited as hell to see the new MacOS X. I think it's cool! That's why I'm keeping my Visor, I still like the Palm platform. Both the Palm and the PPC each has it's own place in the market.

Lastly, I would like to add one final apology for offending anyone. In the future I will try to keep my comments more upbeat in regards to the Visor, but I won't apologize for the fact the you (wjgollatz) don't like me for having said good things about a competing platform. Just because I have an open mind doesn't give you ammunition to attack me with. I merely shared my enthusiasm with other users, and that was well founded. I've received several e-mails thanking me for the information I've handed out at this and other discussion boards. And to be fair I have just as much right to be here as anyone else. In the future I will pay more attention to the sensitivities to others, but in now way will I make excuses for the ignorance of others (wjgollatz).

It's been fun folks, and I look forward to more open debates in the future.

Cheers!
    -------------------
    Foo

Ummmm... psst! Mr. Fighter!
    It is customary to place URL pointers to long posts, rather than to place the entire thing in multiple forums.

It also tends to annoy the moderators.

Just a word to the wise...
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123