1.    #1  
    http://yahoo.cnet.com/news/0-1006-20...cat_fin.txt.ne

interesting...about halfway down the article, it states that palm has licensed this technology.
  2. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Actually, as I read it, the article says that Palm is licensing Sony's Memory Stick technology, not Handspring's Springboard slot.
    I hope for Handspring's sake they open the spec for Springboard that will allow Palm and other OEMs to build Springboard equipped hardware. If the Visor is the only product with this type of bus slot, I can promise you that Springboard is as good as dead as an expansion platform. By keeping it proprietary vendors will move to an alternative such as Compact Flash, and leave Handspring coughing up dust.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by Rob:
    Actually, as I read it, the article says that Palm is licensing Sony's Memory Stick technology, not Handspring's Springboard slot.
    hence the quotes around 'springboard slot' in the topic title

It might get interesting to see if Palm takes up the memory stick as it's version of an expansion slot. A war between the springboard module and the memory stick would be ....well...david and goliath come to mind but this time i don't think i see david coming out ontop!

When the Palm/Sony announcement was made, it was mentioned that Palm could license the stick as well. So theoretically HS or anyone could make a module for it.

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com
    Personal Website: http://www.Hromadka.com
    Personally, I really can't envision consumers carrying around expensive sticks of chewing gum!
    I agree with Foo Fighter. One nice thing about the Springboard Module Idea is that it is just big enough not to lose it. How many of us have lost a stylus? I can't imagine owning and then losing a $100+ memory stick!
    For what it's worth, I believe the Handspring S-1 filing for their IPO contained something about them licensing the Springboard technology. It will be interesting to see if Palm does something with it.

I agree that more PDA's need to have the Springboard in order to make it a viable expansion platform.

------------------
    MarkEagle - Ice is nice!
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by justino:
    ...How many of us have lost a stylus? I can't imagine owning and then losing a $100+ memory stick!
    from that same article...

"Sony is not the only company looking to establish a portable storage foothold. Start-up DataPlay said this week that it is launching a new disk-based storage format for portable devices. Priced around $10 for 500MB of storage, the disks are an inexpensive alternative to either Memory Stick or compact flash portable memory, both of which cost about $100 for 32MB."

there may be other solutions. How can 500MB cost only $10?!?!?!? I remember buying 8MB for my PC and it cost me $450!!!!! ...that was some time ago though.
    That's 500 mb of DISK space...not physical RAM. Disks are cheap--much cheaper than flash ram. It's basically a souped up-floppy.

And 8mb for $450...how long ago was that?

It's a great idea, cheap, and i hope they think of the spring board. of course, if I have my disk drive in the springboard with my Mp3s...how do I get my MP3 player to work...?

-Darrel

11.    #11  
    Originally posted by homer:
    That's 500 mb of DISK space...not physical RAM. Disks are cheap--much cheaper than flash ram. It's basically a souped up-floppy.

And 8mb for $450...how long ago was that?

It's a great idea, cheap, and i hope they think of the spring board. of course, if I have my disk drive in the springboard with my Mp3s...how do I get my MP3 player to work...?

-Darrel

DOH! i didn't notice that it said 'disk' instead of RAM. Good eyes homer!

$450 for 8MB of ram on my PC...that was ...hmm..the summer of 1993 i think. I had just bought a 486DX2/66 with 4MB and i needed 12MB to run Corel PhotoPaint. WOW! that brings back memories!

Good point on the springboard module...i guess we'll see more multi-function modules in the future (wayyy future) when manufacturers start realizing that people want them.

My 250 MB Zip drive disks still cost a nice amount of money. I think 500mb of disk is still a great price.