1.    #1  
    I have a T600 and use my SD Card to play mp3s. I have a number of SD cards, and have no problem using them with other devices.

I bought my g/f a Rio S30S primarily because it supported SD cards. However, after a couple hours of trying to figure it out I determined it formats the SD card into some RIO Only file structure. Thus, we cannot share our SD Cards, they have to be reformatted everytime they switch devices.

Does anyone know a CHEAP MP3 Player that supports MMC/SD that I can get my g/f so my Treo, PC, and her player can all interoperate?

Thanks
  2.    #2  
    Also, I kind of want one that has minimal internal memory. This Rio only had 64 which was fine. I'm really just interested in finding one that uses SD card, as I hate having proprietary software needed on all my computers to copy to them.

Thanks
    Global Posts
    499 Global Posts
    Originally posted by BrianV
    I have a T600 and use my SD Card to play mp3s. I have a number of SD cards, and have no problem using them with other devices.

I bought my g/f a Rio S30S primarily because it supported SD cards. However, after a couple hours of trying to figure it out I determined it formats the SD card into some RIO Only file structure. Thus, we cannot share our SD Cards, they have to be reformatted everytime they switch devices.

Does anyone know a CHEAP MP3 Player that supports MMC/SD that I can get my g/f so my Treo, PC, and her player can all interoperate?

Thanks
    You can get a Otis player free in you sign up for a year service at audible. It uses SD upto 128mb and they now have an audible player for the Treo 600.

David
    I too share this same issue. I don't think getting another MP3 player is gonna do it, since the real problem is the formatting that PocketTunes requires, vs the RIO (I have the same RIO).

I too thought I'd be able to swap SD cards back and forth, and have been less than enthused with the constant reformatting each time (in fact, I think the RIO has some sort of regurgitation thing with the SDs that I've used on the 600 - really seems to have messed it up...)

I guess it's more of a format compatibility problem. I'm at a loss...
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by nrosser
    I too share this same issue. I don't think getting another MP3 player is gonna do it, since the real problem is the formatting that PocketTunes requires, vs the RIO (I have the same RIO).

I too thought I'd be able to swap SD cards back and forth, and have been less than enthused with the constant reformatting each time (in fact, I think the RIO has some sort of regurgitation thing with the SDs that I've used on the 600 - really seems to have messed it up...)

I guess it's more of a format compatibility problem. I'm at a loss...
    PocketTunes doesn't have any special format. The Treo just requires a standard FAT partition. This is why PC Card Readers have no problem with reading the files. The RIO uses some unknown file format (not even know by a PC).

The problem is the Rio not the Treo/PocketTunes. The Treo conforms to an industry standard system. The Rio does not.
    I'm not sure about this, but does the Rio integrate some sort of DRM into the card so as its not interoperable with any other player? And if so, there must be some hacks out there to get around this imo...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions