Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. purpleZ
    Please delete all requests for stolen applications (like Handspring Email app). People should know better. If they want an email app, BUY ONE.
    So much for the softer side of purple x....

perhaps SoftwareNazi would be a better screen name...

Seriously though, If you have a problem with pirated software perhaps you should get a job as a pirate bounty hunter....till then chill out..or of course you could apply for a moderator spot on this board. Given all the major posting going on here they could probably use the help.

I personally don't do the pirate thing but then again I'm not going to deride others for doing it. They have to live with their own conscience and perhaps face the consequences of their actions and besides, I'm not their mother.....are you?
  3. purpleZ
    Originally posted by speclcajun
    So much for the softer side of purple x....

perhaps SoftwareNazi would be a better screen name...

Seriously though, If you have a problem with pirated software perhaps you should get a job as a pirate bounty hunter....till then chill out..or of course you could apply for a moderator spot on this board. Given all the major posting going on here they could probably use the help.

I personally don't do the pirate thing but then again I'm not going to deride others for doing it. They have to live with their own conscience and perhaps face the consequences of their actions and besides, I'm not their mother.....are you?
    Softer side? No. I am the older, harder triplet brother of the one you call purpleX. I am pointing out the fact that software theft is theft and it's hypocritical for the moderators to delete a post linking to warez (Handspring Email app) one day and then allow warez requests the next.

If it's ok to steal Palm's apps, then why not open the gate for theft of all apps?
    This should be in off-topic, so if you're going to lecture do it in the right place. This topic has NOTHING to do with Treo 600 hardware.
  5. purpleX
    Warez is bad. There is more than enough legit free sofwares.
    Actually, I read on another site that Handspring is going to have the mail app available for download for ALL Treo users. The sire mentioned probably sometime after the GSM release. And it probably wasn't Handspring that didn't want to include it, but Sprint wanting people to pay and use BC. I own VersaMail (I haven't tried it on the Treo yet). What I want the HS mail ap for is because it can read the photo database on the 600.
  7. purpleZ
    Originally posted by Spiffyis5150
    This should be in off-topic, so if you're going to lecture do it in the right place. This topic has NOTHING to do with Treo 600 hardware.
    Actually, it's ON-TOPIC because the warez trading posts are occurring right now in this (Treo 600) forum. It would be a shame to see this site slip into that kind of seedy activity. Also, I doubt that Handspring and Palm would appreciate Treocentral promoting (or at least facilitating) theft of their software. Every dollar stolen by warez traders is a dollar that - at least potentially - could have gone to keep developers from going broke. Obviously, you couldn't care less about the welfare of software developers.
  8. purpleZ
    Originally posted by purpleX
    Warez is bad. There is more than enough legit free sofwares.
    There may be hope for you yet, my younger triplet brother. Leave this place and return to face the wrath of our father in Hunan province.
  9. purpleZ
    Originally posted by speedracer5
    Actually, I read on another site that Handspring is going to have the mail app available for download for ALL Treo users. The sire mentioned probably sometime after the GSM release. And it probably wasn't Handspring that didn't want to include it, but Sprint wanting people to pay and use BC. I own VersaMail (I haven't tried it on the Treo yet). What I want the HS mail ap for is because it can read the photo database on the 600.
    Where did you read that? Please post the link.

Until/unless Handspring actually releases their email application for use by everyone (not likely to happen, given this would hurt Sprint's revenues) it should not be used by people not licensed to use it. Rationalize theft all you want, but it's still theft.
    Just curious, but is the HS Mail app available for purchase somewhere? I'm thinking the Mail app is intended to be a free download, even though it is not officially available yet.

Also, I haven't seen any other illegit software being posted on this site yet, but maybe I'm blind.
  11. purpleZ
    Originally posted by treotim
    Just curious, but is the HS Mail app available for purchase somewhere? I'm thinking the Mail app is intended to be a free download, even though it is not officially available yet.

Also, I haven't seen any other illegit software being posted on this site yet, but maybe I'm blind.

Handspring's email application might initially have been intended for the Sprint Treo 600 also, but Sprint makes money charging for some of the things the app does for free. Handspring probably wouldn't be dumb enough to anger the carrier that has been its biggest supporter.

See: "How to get TT3/TE Enhanced PIM apps on Treo 600!", linking to applications stolen from one of the new Palms. At this rate, tomorrow we'll see people asking for cracked versions of DateBk5 and Bejeweled, or the latest copy of PW-Patcher.
    From what I have seen on Handspring's site you can not purchase this software. They have other software on the site, but it has nothing to do with this app. Looks like the email app they made for the Treo 300 isn't comptabile with the 600 or it would be on this site. http://www.handspring.com/software/email.jhtml
  13. purpleX
    Originally posted by purpleZ
    There may be hope for you yet, my younger triplet brother. Leave this place and return to face the wrath of our father in Hunan province.
    I shall mince your attitude and make eggroll out of it.
  14. purpleZ
    Originally posted by purpleX

I shall mince your attitude and make eggroll out of it.
    You little softie! You're so funny, BabyX.
    Originally posted by speedracer5
    [B]Actually, I read on another site that Handspring is going to have the mail app available for download for ALL Treo users.
    Would you please point me at that post?

Thanks!
  16. purpleZ
    Originally posted by derek985

Would you please point me at that post?

Thanks!

Do you really think Handspring would turn around and try to screw Sprint?

It's nice to see you removed the stolen email application from your site. Are you still getting a lot of hits now that it's gone?
    Troll
    Piracy is a evil, made up word to scare people into conforming to artificial standards of ownership. All software should be Free! (as in freedom, not as in beer)
    -- Go Illini!
    If the app was available for sale elsewhere I could see the argument that it's warez. The fact that it was included in the Treo 600 emulator tells me that it should be an included application. I don't think the choice of network GSM vs. CDMA should impact the software available on the machine. In effect, they are handicapping the device in an effort to sell extra software (Sprint's BC). That may be legal, but it's just not right.
    Originally posted by purpleZ

Do you really think Handspring would turn around and try to screw Sprint?

It's nice to see you removed the stolen email application from your site. Are you still getting a lot of hits now that it's gone?
    Man, you have a serious amount of free time on your hands. It seems that your replies are blanketing this entire forum.

Anyway - I'd like to take this opportunity to make a statement for everyone's benefit and my own selfish clarification needs:

1. Nobody stole anything, the application you're reffering to runs on the Treo 600 OS (palm) platform. There is no license key that was circumvented or altered. The application itself runs without alteration on the entire platform and nobody has implied or proven that there is a license restricting use on the same HW platform but different carriers. I bought my phone from Handspring, not Sprint and although I use Sprint services, Sprint does NOT own my phone nor do I rent it from them.

2. The HS Mail application does not compete with BC - presumably there will be lots of customers who want BC because it can interface with mail systems and/or companies that do not allow public POP or IMAP access (Exchange). BC also allows users to see files on the host computer as well so there really is no conflict as far as I can tell. Besides, people could just as easily use the Eudora client for free and get around using BC anyway. Should Sprint sue Eudora for that?

3. I've seen very little dropoff (if any) of requests to Treo 600 Essentials since I've removed the application. On the contrary, I've recieved lots of supportive e-mail in the form of feedback suggestions and reqests that continue to result in the evolution of the site into what the users want most. As I write this, the site counter is at 6500 and incrementing at anywhere between 50-150 unique hits per hour depending on the time of day.

Thanks to everyone for making the Essentials site such a success! I look forward to serving Treo 600 owners needs far into the future.

Cheers!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast