Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    THIS IS THE SADDEST THING EVER!!!

This is horrible, forget the Treo600 Hundred.... Elliot Smith was one of my absolute favorite singer/songwriters!

He stabbed himself today, may G-d grant his soul peace.... We will all miss him dearly.

-M
    Last edited by WeeBitObsessed; 10/22/2003 at 01:26 AM.
  2.    #2  
    Listening to his whole catalog right now....

choking back tears
    I am trying to find out as much as I can about this, I am worried it is a sick rumor

please supply ne info you can...
  4.    #5  
    Is there no-one with me in my pain?
    Never even heard of the guy.

Personally, I think that someone who gets emotionally upset over the death of someone who writes songs (especially when that someone isn't even a personal aquaintance) is a WeeBitObsessed.
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

If you can't be a good example then at least try to be a horrible reminder.
    Originally posted by Doug Hillman
    Never even heard of the guy.

Personally, I think that someone who gets emotionally upset over the death of someone who writes songs (especially when that someone isn't even a personal aquaintance) is a WeeBitObsessed.
    thats horrible, obviously you are not someone who gives a flying **** about music, or probably even art in general

for those of us out there who do, however, we have a lost one of the greats, our music obsessed community will miss him like no other. I can't believe it really happened....
    I don't know who he is. Someone point to a few songs, or lyrics so I can checkout what im missing.

Ow, and to the obsessed comment: When you appreciate art from someone and suddenly realized you will not be recieving anymore from the person, this is quite a bummer. If that doesnt make sense... ok how about... what if you were just about to get your treo and handspring went under and you didnt get it at all.

-Farzon
    Some are with you WeBit....

I couldn't believe it when I saw it on an AP wire. The thing that really downed me and sent chills down my spine is that I was actually listening to one of his songs (on my 600) when I read about it online.

It was "Say Yes."

Also, he hit much more mainstream when several of his songs were in the movie "Good Will Hunting." "Miss Misery" was the most recognizable song in that movie. The end when Matt Damon's character is driving to see his girl.....I too am going through my music now....
    It is sad and disappointing. I was at his last show in SLC last month so it seems very surreal to me right now.

Most people on this board won't know who he is, but that's no more a travesty than me not knowing anyone on Star Trek. We all have different interests.
    I'm a dance instructor and a DJ. I date a classically trained pianist who's finishing up her art education degree. I know a bit about music and art. I care a bit about music and art.

But I'm not gonna get all rediculously emotional and weepy when someone I don't know and have no connection to dies. Even if I had heard his music.

It's not as if there's a lack of dark, self-pitying, "introspective" artists in the world. Go down to the local coffee shop on open-mic night. There's a room full of 'em all wearing black.

Hey, a liquor store clerk here in Chicago got murdered last nite. Why aren't you devestated and on the verge of tears about him? Is he not worthy of your obsession? You've got as much of a real-life connection to him as you do to a song-writer.

Sorry to ridicule your pain guys, but I find it ludicrous that anyone would get so upset over the death of an entertainer whom they didn't know.

Wait. Are you all teenaged girls? That might explain it.
    Last edited by Doug Hillman; 10/22/2003 at 08:15 PM.
    Doug "Doberman" Hillman

If you can't be a good example then at least try to be a horrible reminder.
    Global Posts
    459 Global Posts
    and this has what to do with the Treo 600 exactly?? why are you posting this kind of thing here?
    a dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Will people PLEASE learn to spell RIDICULOUS.

So what if some folks are upset about his death? Why would it even bother anyone who isn't affected? Talk about control freaks. Perhaps we should all feel the same way about everything and react the same about everything.

Obviously the people upset felt a connection with the music. Music can inspire emotional reactions.

Why ridicule people because they feel what you may not?

Nice compassion some of you people have.
    It might be a little bit better world...NO make that a whole lot better world if we all got a little upset when ANYONE died. Especially from anything other than old age.

But perhaps...some of us are beyond that. That is until it happens to them...then the ego disappears and they don't understand why no one cares about them.

I have no idea who Elliot Smith is or was...but if he died it's a shame and to those who miss him and grieve for him my sincerest condolences.

I guess I'm just a 6-1 240lb teenage girl,
    Ken
    Ok..there MUST be a "6 Degrees Of Separation" thing in this somehow to justify this post in a Treo 600 Discussion Board?

Let me think.....

Ok, ok...I got it...Elliot Smith's aunt has a dog who bit a neighbor who's brother's first cousin just received his Treo 600 via FedEx.
    Emoest way to die ever!
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Originally posted by njchris
    Will people PLEASE learn to spell RIDICULOUS.

So what if some folks are upset about his death? Why would it even bother anyone who isn't affected? Talk about control freaks. Perhaps we should all feel the same way about everything and react the same about everything.

Obviously the people upset felt a connection with the music. Music can inspire emotional reactions.

Why ridicule people because they feel what you may not?

Nice compassion some of you people have.
    Well said.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Regrettably, I am not familiar with this artist or his works (though I suspect I have heard them without knowing their provenence). However, if it helps WBO and other fans to post their feelings here, who am I to begrudge them this outlet?
    Simply ignore the thread if you're offended.

-Rusty J
    Unlocked 270 on AT&T
    Waiting for GSM 600.
    Originally posted by WeeBitObsessed
    THIS IS THE SADDEST THING EVER!!!
    um. okay. if you say so. I can think of a few hundred things that were worse, tho.

I do understand your concern over Eliot Smith -- who I never heard of before today, myself -- but I certainly wouldn't call the self-inflicted death of someone who couldn't cope with life to be the saddest thing ever. Not the end of the world, and the music will stay on. I felt the same after hearing about Cobain. and that guy from Blind Melon.

When Lennon was shot, now, that was sad.
    The light at the end of your tunnel has been disconnected due to non-payment. Please remit funds immediately for restoration of hope.
    Unfortunately, the list of great musical artists cut down in their prime seems to always loom over any other field of art--something about the explosive passion and tendency to experiment with chemicals, I suspect. Especially for suicide, since most people don't attempt suicide when they are sober.

I have to agree Lennon's death was particularly tragic because he was the world's and western popular music's (conflicted) conscience on many issues personal and political...and that he should actually be murdered. So few other artists have met this tragic end (only Sam Cooke and Marvin Gaye from my short list).

For those who don't know, Elliott Smith was in the highest echelon of musician/lyricists/artists, and seemed to have an amazingly astute, grounded humble view on life and art; he will be sorely missed.

Take this opportunity to read more about him and maybe pick up a CD:

All-Music Guide Bio & Discography

Last Rolling Stone Interview

Rolling Stone obituary

With deepest regrets, WeeBit and others.
    Last edited by TreoTheo; 10/23/2003 at 12:54 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast