1.    #1  
    can someone explain it to me? I understand that some of em are paid actors right? and one person is an actual person and he doesn't know that he is the only true "contestant"? i have no idea can someone clarify for me?
    Treo 300, Treo 600 - Sprint

I dream in code and TCP/IP sequence numbers.
    "Joe Schmo" thinks it's one of the random reality shows called "Lap of Luxury." Everyone else, including the host, knows it's a fake show. They take advantage of the time when he is talking on the expected one-on-one deals to plan the day's events. Apparently, it's kind of seat of the pants b/c they don't exactly know how he is going to react.

Hilarious! stuff...
    I like a good laff as much as the next guy, but this supposed to lift the culturalism of America? I hope not, that is Y I give reality shows total avoidance, no offence, but 2 me, it is just another show 2 prove the dumbing of America.
    Just because something isn't supposed to "lift the culturalism of America" doesn't mean it's bad. For instance, using "2" instead of "to" hardly qualifies as an elite intellectual pursuit. Doesn't mean it's evil though.
    he has his reasons for using 2 instead of two, but i agree.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by ilovedessert
    I like a good laff as much as the next guy, but this supposed to lift the culturalism of America? I hope not, that is Y I give reality shows total avoidance, no offence, but 2 me, it is just another show 2 prove the dumbing of America.
    Much like all of the misspellings, abbreviations, wrong words, and dropped words which people use online instead of typing out the real words (either out of ignorance, laziness, or choice)?
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Originally posted by Felipe
    he has his reasons for using 2 instead of two, but i agree.
    It was '2' instead of 'to' actually, but I'm not sure what reason there would be to actually use 'to' in one place then slip into Prince-ification.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
    Hi, I use abravations because I am disabled and it is very hard for me to type, (and very painful although, some days are better than others). I have had spinal surgery twice, once to try to contain the damage to the portion of my spine that controls my hands, which was only slighly succusfull and which left me with an incomplete fusion and a creat deal of pain. Eventually I will face repeated SURGERIES for this problem!

Unfortuantely voice dication software still doesn't work as well as it should, so therefore I am still stuck with the the old fashioned keyboard. I have tried every shape and kind of "new fangled" keyboard out there and they are still very hard for me to use!

Now as for the issue of the show. TV could and should be so much better than it is. It has the potential be great considering it is almost all home in the country. However, I worry about a world, where people know they names of all of the members of the cast of Friends or Joe Shmoe and not the name of the Speaker of The house of representitives.

This is especially ture for children, my generation, (I will be 48 in a few weeks), grew up on TV. But my parents had a firm hand with the TV on switch.

We were therefore became well read and well spoken. Books were a major part of our lives and still are. I do realize that one can be well read and in formed and still watch alot of TV. However, in the case of most people in the US, it is not the case.

AS for my spelling, it is horrible. However, I did discover the following the following: the vast number of people who have spelling problems also have a bad sence of direction. (itis the same portion of the brain, or at least that is what I have been told).

take care Jay
    Hi, I use abravations because I am disabled and it is very hard for me to type, (and very painful although, some days are better than others). I have had spinal surgery twice, once to try to contain the damage to the portion of my spine that controls my hands, which was only slighly succusfull and which left me with an incomplete fusion and a creat deal of pain. Eventually I will face repeated SURGERIES for this problem! [...]
    Then it seems to me that you'd have more pressing things to concern yourself with rather than Joe Schmoe. Seems to me that TV is becoming the new weather: everybody complains about it, but no one ever does anything to change it.
    I do something about it, I do not watch much of it. Not watching a show tells tv execs, volumes, trust me ratings r the gae in TV! take care, jay
    Now as for the issue of the show. TV could and should be so much better than it is. It has the potential be great considering it is almost all home in the country. However, I worry about a world, where people know they names of all of the members of the cast of Friends or Joe Shmoe and not the name of the Speaker of The house of representitives.

This is especially ture for children, my generation, (I will be 48 in a few weeks), grew up on TV. But my parents had a firm hand with the TV on switch.

We were therefore became well read and well spoken. Books were a major part of our lives and still are. I do realize that one can be well read and in formed and still watch alot of TV. However, in the case of most people in the US, it is not the case.

I too had a strict upbringing regarding what I could and could not watch/read/listen to lots of programs/books/shows. However, as an adult, I watch Joe Schmo b/c I find it to be mindless entertainment. My job can be quite stressful and a silly little reality show is sometimes just what I need. Agreed, however, that it is clearly not *quality* television (...is that an oxymoron?...)

BTW, I spell fairly well and have an awful head for directions. As C.S. Lewis said in one of the Narnia books, I can't keep I map in my head, I have other things there...
    I do something about it, I do not watch much of it. Not watching a show tells tv execs, volumes, trust me ratings r the gae in TV! take care, jay
    Unless you are one of the Neilson households or the TV execs are sitting in your den, I don't think anyone really knows what each individual family watches.
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    Unless you are one of the Neilson households or the TV execs are sitting in your den, I don't think anyone really knows what each individual family watches.
    We're not a full-time Neilsen household, but we have participated in their supplementary surveys. I often wonder what they think when (if?) they get surveys back which only consist of PBS, Discovery-affiliated channels, and maybe some VH1 or news.
    Originally posted by Toby
    I often wonder what they think when (if?) they get surveys back which only consist of PBS, Discovery-affiliated channels, and maybe some VH1 or news.
    they think, this guy should watch the Joe Schmo show!!
    Originally posted by K. Cannon
    they think, this guy should watch the Joe Schmo show!!
    heh...I'd have to find it accidentally to watch it. The only thing Spike plays that I ever watch is ST:TNG, and that's only if I notice it in the guide when I'm switching channels. AAMOF, it's the only reason I've ever heard of the Joe Schmo Show. At this point, I'm not sure what they could do for a new reality show short of breaking laws. Of course, then it would just be derivative of Cops.
    Originally posted by Toby
    At this point, I'm not sure what they could do for a new reality show short of breaking laws.
    I have always wondered how "Crank Yankers" on Comedy Central gets away with it. Of course, I've never actually watched the show, but it looks like taped prank calls. Which are illegal. And if they aren't taped, but are "fake" then what's the point of the show?

Of course, then it would just be derivative of Cops.
    HA!!