Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 95
  1. #21  
    Originally posted by BobbyMike


    I understood what you were saying, I just wanted to differentiate between sex between a loving couple (making love) and porn. I think that too many people confuse freedom with license and go to far in permitting porn into their everyday life.
    The biggest problem with porn I've got is the lovelessness and agressiveness. I'd love to see porn which female friendly...and actualy has a story line.. but I guess I'm dreaming...

    Originally posted by BobbyMike

    I don't want my children to grow up thinking casual sex is ok. AIDS, etc. would never have been a problem if people had been a little less casual with who they slept with.
    I've got a different theory on AIDS (it being natures way of trying to controll the human population) but that is a whole different discussion.
    semi-casual sex can be OK, but sex between a loving couple is a lot better...
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  2. #22  
    Originally posted by Toby
    Even 50 Cent gets that subtlety.
    You sound surprised he should.
    Last edited by dick-richardson; 08/16/2003 at 11:41 AM.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  3. #23  
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    You sound surprised he should.
    Well, he's no KRS-One, so maybe a little bit (or four might seem more apropos).
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  4. #24  
    Originally posted by Toby
    Well, he's no KRS-One, so maybe a little bit (or four might seem more apropos).
    But he's so oooold.
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  5. #25  
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    But he's so oooold.
    Respect your elders, son.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  6. #26  
    Originally posted by Toby
    'Making love' is not a synonym for 'having sex'. Even 50 Cent gets that subtlety.
    So what would you call it?

    "Main Entry: syn·o·nym
    Pronunciation: 'si-n&-"nim
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English sinonyme, from Latin synonymum, from Greek synOnymon, from neuter of synOnymos synonymous, from syn- + onyma name -- more at NAME
    Date: 15th century
    1 : one of two or more words or expressions of the same language that have the same or nearly the same meaning in some or all senses
    2 : a symbolic or figurative name : METONYM
    3 : a taxonomic name rejected as being incorrectly applied or incorrect in form -- compare HOMONYM"
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  7. #27  
    Originally posted by ToolkiT

    The biggest problem with porn I've got is the lovelessness and agressiveness. I'd love to see porn which female friendly...and actualy has a story line.. but I guess I'm dreaming...
    sounds like soap opera


    Originally posted by ToolkiT
    I've got a different theory on AIDS (it being natures way of trying to controll the human population) but that is a whole different discussion.
    That's doesn't hold water because it mostly deals with casual sex partners, not people in commited partnerships that tend to have numerous children.

    It would more likely be a way nature rids itself of non-productive (meaning non-child rearing) humans. Then of course you would have to believe the dubious idea that there is some kind of Gaia-like overmind that produces things like this.

    Originally posted by ToolkiT
    semi-casual sex can be OK, but sex between a loving couple is a lot better...
    Semi-casual sex? Tell THAT to your wife!
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
  8. #28  
    Originally posted by ToolkiT

    So what would you call it?

    "Main Entry: syn·o·nym
    Pronunciation: 'si-n&-"nim
    Function: noun
    Etymology: Middle English sinonyme, from Latin synonymum, from Greek synOnymon, from neuter of synOnymos synonymous, from syn- + onyma name -- more at NAME
    Date: 15th century
    1 : one of two or more words or expressions of the same language that have the same or nearly the same meaning in some or all senses
    2 : a symbolic or figurative name : METONYM
    3 : a taxonomic name rejected as being incorrectly applied or incorrect in form -- compare HOMONYM"
    I think he was referring to the fact while you can have sex with anyone(thing) you can only make love to someone you are in love with. Making Love and Having Sex do not have the same, or nearly the same, meanings.
    "I am a debtor both to Greeks and to Barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish."
  9. #29  
    Originally posted by BobbyMike

    That's doesn't hold water because it mostly deals with casual sex partners, not people in commited partnerships that tend to have numerous children.

    It would more likely be a way nature rids itself of non-productive (meaning non-child rearing) humans. Then of course you would have to believe the dubious idea that there is some kind of Gaia-like overmind that produces things like this.
    That's only true in western society, in africa however, where most of the world aids sufferers are people have unprotected sex with multiple partners and produce heaps of kids...



    Originally posted by BobbyMike

    Semi-casual sex? Tell THAT to your wife!
    She'd probably agree, not within a relationship mind you, but if you are single and have a one night stand with somebody you like but do not want to have a long term relationship with can be OK IMHO...
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  10. #30  
    Originally posted by BobbyMike


    I think he was referring to the fact while you can have sex with anyone(thing) you can only make love to someone you are in love with. Making Love and Having Sex do not have the same, or nearly the same, meanings.
    I agree there is a difference, I was looking for the word that describes when you use a certain word when you mean another word... like when they say 'conflict' instead of war...
    This discusion is purely semantics though since I think we all agree on the core issue...
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  11. #31  
    Originally posted by ToolkiT
    So what would you call it?
    There isn't a word for two things that just don't mean the same thing, which is what I'd call it.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  12. #32  
    Originally posted by ToolkiT

    I agree there is a difference, I was looking for the word that describes when you use a certain word when you mean another word... like when they say 'conflict' instead of war...
    The closest word would be euphemism. In general, it's something that really irks me and set me off on a George Carlin-like rant. I hate when people make language fuzzy and soft because they can't deal with the reality of a situation.
    This discusion is purely semantics though since I think we all agree on the core issue...
    I'm not sure I even know what you consider the core issue.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  13. #33  
    Originally posted by Toby
    I'm not sure I even know what you consider the core issue.
    I allmost forgot too. this discussion started about the California election and Arny...
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  14. #34  
    Originally posted by Toby
    The closest word would be euphemism. In general, it's something that really irks me and set me off on a George Carlin-like rant. I hate when people make language fuzzy and soft because they can't deal with the reality of a situation
    Thats the word I was looking for! thanks... sorry about the confusion..
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  15. #35  
    Originally posted by Toby
    The closest word would be euphemism. In general, it's something that really irks me and set me off on a George Carlin-like rant. I hate when people make language fuzzy and soft because they can't deal with the reality of a situation.
    You sound pisse....er, agitated.
    :P
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
  16. #36  
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    War is inevitable. It is the natural response of humans to the threat of annilhilation by another group of humans.
    I acknowledge that Porn is big business in entertainment, certainly in the internet.

    War is inevitable? That's certainly not true. Look at Europe, 60 years ago everybody would have agreed that it is inevitable that France and Germany will fight wars again, now they are best friends. A German general even led the parade in front of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris on last national holiday in France. Due to the economic interrelations it is extremely unlikely that there will be war again in Western Europe (and Eastern, too, since they will be part of the European Union).
  17. #37  
    Originally posted by BobbyMike
    Porn is not love, it's the opposite.
    The opposite of love is hate. Since one thing can have only one opposite (if it has one at all), porn cannot be the opposite of love. I don't think Porn has an opposite, just as Jazz or Baseball don't have an opposite.

    However, hate brings us back to war, which brings us back to war movies, which bring us back to Ahhnold, which brings us back to the start of this thread. I would probably not vote for him (even if I could) due to lack of relevant prior working experience for the job of Governor (apart from the PRPRPR $part$ $of$ $it$). $From$ $the$ $fact$ $that$ $Roland$ $Reagan$ $did$ $a$ $fairly$ $good$ $job$ $we$ $cannot$ $conclude$ $that$ $Schwarzenegger$ $would$ $as$ $well$.

    On the other hand, Warren Buffet is surely a finacial genius, and if he supports Schwarzenegger (and Schwarzenegger Buffet's tax-increasing ideas), maybe there is something behind it...
    Last edited by clulup; 08/18/2003 at 04:25 AM.
  18. #38  
    Originally posted by clulup
    The opposite of love is hate.
    Not quite true, love and hate are too close to be opposites they are both strong emotions.....
    The opposite of love is indifference...
    <IMG WIDTH="200" HEIGHT="50" SRC=http://www.visorcentral.com/images/visorcentral.gif> (ex)VisorCentral Discussion Moderator
    Do files get embarrassed when they get unzipped?
  19. #39  
    Originally posted by clulup
    The opposite of love is hate. [...]
    No, the opposite of love is apathy.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
  20. #40  
    Originally posted by ****-richardson
    You sound pisse....er, agitated.
    :P
    Not really. Ever see Carlin's routine on "shell shock"? AAMOF, I think part of it may have specifically dealt with the fact that people avoided calling things like Korea and Vietnam 'wars'. 'Conflict' and 'police action' my @$$.
    ‎"Is that suck and salvage the Kevin Costner method?" - Chris Matthews on Hardball, July 6, 2010. Wonder if he's talking about his oil device or his movie career...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions