Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Some things are really disgusting. I believe in the capitalist economy and certainly support anyone's legitimate endeavors but this is a little over the top. There is a jerk posting auctions on ebay that will give you a link to the amazon website where you can buy a 270 for $69 w/activation.
    What is really sad is people are buying these auctions for $50-$70. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ADME:B:SS:US:1

Where is the sense of decency?
    I think this practice is illegal per Ebay rules. You may want to report him to get his scam off of Ebay. This guy will probably sell his sister.
    I'm having trouble seeing the problem here. If they guy really is providing a location to buy a Treo 270 for $69 w/activation why can he not sell that information? Of course it may be against Ebay's rules, but there is nothing in the auction that makes me believe he is acting unethically. I reserve judgement until you can give me evidence he is misleading people.
  4.    #4  
    Your right, what he is doing is not illegal and it is probably not against ebay's rules and the jury is still out on whether or not it is unethical. It is just a little disgusting that someone would stoop to this level, and I know that this is spittle in grand scheme of things but I just happened to run across it and thought I would share. I guess I thought about how I would fee if someone charged me for directions to the bathroom when I was standing in front of it. This guy is giving the perception by selling his info on ebay that he has something that is not publicly available, (I know he does't say that but it is implied). Any google search for treo brings up half dozen links to amazon $69 deal. (stepped down from soapbox)

Just my .02
    Wasn't it P.T. Barnum that said "There's a sucker born every minute" ?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    I don't see what the problem is. The guy explicitly states several times that he is not selling the product, only the location to buy it. Anyone with common sense would just do a search on google or somewhere and find it themselves. That auction isn't misleading at all. He doesn't say he's selling the phone, or even that he has secret privileged information on where to find it. He's just saying he knows where to get if for that price and he's selling the information. How is that unethical?
    Wow... this is wild. Here is another one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3034167898 .

The bids are up to $150.01 for providing the link. Yes, there are people out there who know very little about using the internet, and ebay is one of the few things they know.

For those who see no problems with it, why not join in on this scam^H^H^H^H great business opportunity and start selling URL's?

--
    Silverado (who's wondering, given the demographics of this board, how many questions he'll get about the ^H's)
    For kicks, I started emailing the bidders in my free time with the URL for free. I also emailed the person who lost the Treo URL "auction" with the URL and told them they should be happy they "lost".

Do you think this is legal and ethical?
    Originally posted by silverado

For those who see no problems with it, why not join in on this scam^H^H^H^H great business opportunity and start selling URL's?
    Because it's something I wouldn't want to be a part of becuase I would feel I was taking advantage of people. Just because someone thinks it's not unethical doesn't mean they think it's a good idea. For instance, I have no problem with smoking (it's people's choice) but that doesn't mean I'm going to become a smoker.

Do you think this is legal and ethical?
    Yes and yes. If someone is going to go buy a car and you instead give him one, that is both legal and ethical.
    No one said that capitalism is perfect...
    m00se
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    Originally posted by KRamsauer
    Because it's something I wouldn't want to be a part of becuase I would feel I was taking advantage of people. Just because someone thinks it's not unethical doesn't mean they think it's a good idea. For instance, I have no problem with smoking (it's people's choice) but that doesn't mean I'm going to become a smoker.
    I rarely get involved in such hair-splitting "Clintonisms", but this one irks me a bit too much. I happen to think that blatantly taking advantage of ignorant people is unethical. It might be technically legal, but ethical is a stretch, IMO.
    Wow, this is a great one. It gets me thinking in a lot of different ways. When I read the first post, I tended to agree with all of you, and I still do feel that this seems rather lame. Nevertheless, a couple of thoughts for discussion:
    1) My wife once told me that I should become a consultant who basically equips folks with technology. I'd find out what they want/need and do a bunch of research so that I could get the necessary items for the best value (best price from a reputable store). I guess I'd either mark up the final price, charge some flat %, some flat fee, or perhaps they'd pay me for my time (all those unanswered questions and the fact that I'm not sure how I'd get the word out about my services is part of why I haven't done this yet). So, they'd be getting a good product at a good price with all of my technical wisdom steering them in the right direction. I don't think most of you would think that this would be a scam. So what's different with this eBay auction? Well, he's not really offering his "wisdom" in terms of steering people towards products that meet their needs, as anyone bidding would already feel that the Treo 270 is the product that they need/want. Still, he's offering a service to a degree. What if the "deal" he knew about wasn't the $69 Amazon deal but rather was selling info about a little-known local place that was selling it for $25 and which didn't have an internet presence? Would it still be a scam then?

2) What about sites like techbargains.com? What if they decided they were going to start charging a subscription charge (say $25/year) in order to have access to all their deals? Would that be a scam?

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Scott R
    1) My wife once told me that I should become a consultant who basically equips folks with technology. I'd find out what they want/need and do a bunch of research so that I could get the necessary items for the best value (best price from a reputable store).

No, this would not be a scam and differs from the situation in question because the service being offered would be analysis and research, unlike providing only information about how/where to purchase a product.

2) What about sites like techbargains.com? What if they decided they were going to start charging a subscription charge (say $25/year) in order to have access to all their deals? Would that be a scam?

Nope. You've heard of Costco and Sam's Club, right? Same idea.

Now, I agree with Silverado that taking advantage of people is unethical. That said, I think it's equally disappointing that there are people out there who will fall for this kind of a scheme.

Geoffrey

I rarely get involved in such hair-splitting "Clintonisms", but this one irks me a bit too much. I happen to think that blatantly taking advantage of ignorant people is unethical. It might be technically legal, but ethical is a stretch, IMO.
    At the risk of turning this into a thread much longer than it should be, "taking advantage" is a purely subjective term. The manufacturing company that sells widgets for $10 though the marginal cost to them is 50 cents isn't taking advantage of anyone. A consultant who sees the obvious and charges outrageously for it isn't taking advantage of anyone. If this ebay person were to actively limit bidder's other routes to the information, that would be taking advantage. As it is, he's allowing people a method of obtaining information which they can take or leave. He is not forcing them to do anything. Unfortunately this is one of those times when jealousy warps itself into some kind of higher-moral-ground argument. But again, this is a subjective stance and I completely understand your point, I just don't agree with it.
    At the risk of turning this into a thread much longer than it should be....
    I think we are are beyond that point, unfortunately
    "taking advantage" is a purely subjective term. The manufacturing company that sells widgets for $10 though the marginal cost to them is 50 cents isn't taking advantage of anyone. A consultant who sees the obvious and charges outrageously for it isn't taking advantage of anyone. If this ebay person were to actively limit bidder's other routes to the information, that would be taking advantage. As it is, he's allowing people a method of obtaining information which they can take or leave. He is not forcing them to do anything. Unfortunately this is one of those times when jealousy warps itself into some kind of higher-moral-ground argument. But again, this is a subjective stance and I completely understand your point, I just don't agree with it.
    I was following your argument until you mentioned jealousy. Who do you think is jealous of whom in this situation?

Other than that, we agree to disagree.

If I was hiring sales people and had a candidate who did such "selling" I would never hire them. IMO, these are dirty street tactics that reflect badly on someone's character.
    Last edited by silverado; 07/09/2003 at 02:45 PM.
    If I was hiring sales people and had a candidate who did such "selling" I would never hire them. IMO, these are dirty street tactics that reflect badly on someone's character.
    Amen. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Similarly, charging "outrageously" for something, even if people will pay it, doesn't mean it's ethical to do so.

Geoffrey

</soapbox>

And that is entirely within your rights. It is outside your rights to demand things of people over whom you have no legitimate authority. I guess that's why I hate anti-smoking laws designed at curbing smoking in restaurants, pubs, etc. The owner of the restaurant has the right to control his property, and if he wants to prohibit (or encourage) smoking, that's his right. I as a normal citizen do not have the right to make him stop. I can tell people smoking is bad for them, citing the overwhelming evidence supporting that position. Analogous circumstances here would be you telling potential bidders of the folly of their actions, but you cannot force the "seller" to stop.
    Oh, and might I add the urging of violence against this person is completely wrong and though it may be hyperbole, I find disturbing.
  20. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    he's allowing people a method of obtaining information which they can take or leave. He is not forcing them to do anything. Unfortunately this is one of those times when jealousy warps itself into some kind of higher-moral-ground argument. But again, this is a subjective stance and I completely understand your point, I just don't agree with it.
    Not to be nit-picky, but I don't think it's jealousy that is motivating this disapproval, but rather sympathy for the poor ignorant suckers who would pay so much for information that's free and easy to obtain elsewhere, plus disappointment at those taking advantage of the ignorance of others (some things you just don't expect to have to pay for, and you feel bad when others are lured into paying for them). If they were really jealous, they would start doing this themselves on ebay.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast